Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-20-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip! Got a full batten main

Time was not on my side Saturday afternoon! My original to the boat main Ripped in half horzontially!
So a very good friend to my YC who is a yacht broker had this new in the box Main sail that does fit my boat! Fully battened, it's slightly shorter then my old main but has more roach, so I actually have more sail area. it's still way way clear of the back stay. So what can expect to love (or hate) with a FB main? I know it's going to flake allot easier.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
I like the sail shape that the extra roach gets you on a full batten main.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 04-20-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It'll be easier to flake, it won't flog itself to death if you let it luff, you'll get a bit more drive from the main due to the roach... but you'll also have a bit more weather helm from the roach.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-21-2009

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

Downsides:
-If you have lazy jacks the full battens tend to get caught on the lazy jacks.
-The sail is heavier, so it will be harder to raise.
-The longer battens are more difficult to install at the beginning of the season and remove and store at the end of the season

Advantages:
As written - sail shape, extra sail area, less flogging.

Barry

Old 04-21-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
thanks guys! sounds like i'm going to be ok! can't wait!

my current "project"!
Old 04-21-2009
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=BarryL;478075]The longer battens are more difficult to install at the beginning of the season and remove and store at the end of the season/QUOTE]

If you were looking for an excuse to buy a convertible, now you've got it!!!

Paul
Old 04-21-2009
S/V Loon

TaylorC is on a distinguished road
Keep the battens in your boom during the off season

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post

-The longer battens are more difficult to install at the beginning of the season and remove and store at the end of the season

I pondered this for a while, stumbled over them on the floor of the cabin, even took home some 14' battens sticking out the sunroof of my Mini, before the solution presented itself. Now I tape the battens together and slip them down inside my boom which is open at the end. They are very happy there until spring.
Old 04-21-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorC View Post
I pondered this for a while, stumbled over them on the floor of the cabin, even took home some 14' battens sticking out the sunroof of my Mini, before the solution presented itself. Now I tape the battens together and slip them down inside my boom which is open at the end. They are very happy there until spring.
That note should win tip of the month. I too trip over my battens down below. I ended up lashing them to the handrails on the cabin roof.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 04-21-2009
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
i like the full battened main on my nimble 30 express. it rolls down into the profurl boom so i never take them out. after i take the boom off to remove the mast , the boom stays on the deck under the cover.
Old 04-22-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

Picked up the battens today! Still raining GRRRR! maybe I'll get them installed tomorrow! Went to Moorehouse sailmakers in Medford NJ.
Moorhouse Sailmakers, Inc. - Custom Cruising Sails, Vanguard Sailboats, and Hunter Sailboats. very pleased at they way the responded for my "minor" request. They are going to make a new Oday logo for my sail too. I"m happy.. would be happier if it weren't raining.

my current "project"!