SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Silicone (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/53700-silicone.html)

backcreeksailor 04-21-2009 08:30 AM

Silicone
 
After reading through lots of posts here, I've gotten the message that in almost every case:

Boat + Silicone = BAD

So if silicone contaminates fiberglass so that nothing else will adhere to it; doesn't do anything useful for leaky windows; and should never be used to re-bed hardware...

Does "marine grade" silicone have ANY useful purpose? And if not, why do they continue to sell it in every boat supply store on earth?

donradclife 04-21-2009 08:44 AM

Silicone causes marine painters fits, but if you are not planning on awlgriping anytime soon, it is probably the best compound for bedding windows and hardware which you want to be able to remove. It works better when thicker, allowing for some expansion and movement, so countersink the holes when you are mounting hardware, and don't squeeze it all out when you are bedding windows.

The best silicones I have used are the 'neutral cure' ones, but the US doesn't seem to have heard of them.

AllThumbs 04-21-2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backcreeksailor (Post 478047)
Does "marine grade" silicone have ANY useful purpose? And if not, why do they continue to sell it in every boat supply store on earth?

What they sell at a store has nothing to do with whether it is a good product for a specific purpose, and everything to do with whether people will buy it. If people want silicone, a store will have it available, lest the go elsewhere to buy it.

Eric

johnshasteen 04-21-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backcreeksailor (Post 478047)
Boat + Silicone = BAD?

Silicone might be okay in the northern climes, but down on the Gulf Coast where boats are in the water year, even the best marine silicone is worthless. In the brutal summer sun and humidity it turns black, and looses it's adhesive qualities - you can pull it off by hand. Use either 3M or BoatLife caulking.

jarcher 04-21-2009 10:58 AM

What about those so called "hybred" products that are part silicon, part something else?

AllThumbs 04-21-2009 11:01 AM

I think "boatlife" is a hybred. It's supposed to be pretty good for bedding plastic hardware, such as acrylic or polycarbonate portlights.

Bene505 04-21-2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllThumbs (Post 478116)
I think "boatlife" is a hybred. It's supposed to be pretty good for bedding plastic hardware, such as acrylic or polycarbonate portlights.

Can I use it for my leaky hatches? I really don't want to spend $500 getting them re-done this year. I'd rather smear something around the metal to polycarbonite (?) junction (inside and out maybe) and forget it -- even if it means doing it agian next year. Boat is in southern New England. Lewmar hatches.

sailingdog 04-21-2009 02:05 PM

I wouldn't use silicone for this... given that most "quick repairs with silicone" look like crap and work about as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bene505 (Post 478184)
Can I use it for my leaky hatches? I really don't want to spend $500 getting them re-done this year. I'd rather smear something around the metal to polycarbonite (?) junction (inside and out maybe) and forget it -- even if it means doing it agian next year. Boat is in southern New England. Lewmar hatches.


AllThumbs 04-21-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 478187)
I wouldn't use silicone for this... given that most "quick repairs with silicone" look like crap and work about as well.


SD, I think he is asking about using BoatLife for this, not silicone...

jarcher 04-21-2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllThumbs (Post 478116)
I think "boatlife" is a hybred. It's supposed to be pretty good for bedding plastic hardware, such as acrylic or polycarbonate portlights.

Yes, but if a hybred has silicon in it, why is it safer to use than silicon?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012