Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-22-2009

kaluvic is on a distinguished road
Good pics Brian...thanks
Old 04-22-2009

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
my chainplates are not glassed over, just throughbolted to heavy fiberglass knees, that are part of the hull.

I am not used to looking at the Original poster's setup. Can someone explain the parts in more depth. For example, is it a one piece chainplate that goes through the deck and then extends vertically for a foot or so, down the side of the hull? Is it bolted to the knee at this point? And then there is the smaller horizontal rectangular shape at the bottom - Is that part of the upper verical chainplate, or bolted to it, etc???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2009
I grew up on this ship ..

FullandBy is on a distinguished road
I was wondering that as well. I suspect my chainplates are simply glassed in with no bolts whatsoever. I would prefer bolts over glass any day.

Which has me considering replacing and redoing the current configuration to something more manageable in the future. To really get a good inspection I have to cut away the glass anyways, at which point I'm thinking perhaps I leave them uncovered and figure out some way to bolt them to the knees.
Old 01-01-2011

bereznai is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to bereznai
Question What did you do about your chain plates?

Full and By,

What did you finally do about your chain plates?
Any more photos?

I also have a Cooper 416 and her chain plates are covered up by some nice carpentry, so I am loathe to break in to look. Thanks for the photo, now I at least know what's in there and that it will be a major deal to replace chain plates.

BTW, I have a little website for Coopers, you will find it at:
http://cooper416.250free.com

Regards,
David Bereznai
SV Ansa
sail dot ansa at gmail dot com
Old 01-01-2011

Domenic is on a distinguished road
I agree with Calebd...chain plates should be open. The fiberglass work on the knees looks like the resin was too hot. I would cut out the whole mess, and build new knees. Where the chain plates go through the deck, more often than not, leak.
Old 02-02-2011
I grew up on this ship ..

FullandBy is on a distinguished road
David,

I ended up leaving well enough alone. I did remove the fibreglass from all of them, except the one in the head and inspected them all. I also cut one out and removed it. They all looked absolutely fine.

I had a very knowledgable and seasoned ocean racing rigger come have a look and he thought they looked like they were in very good condition. He explained that the stainless steel and corrosion is more prevalent in the tropics. He also said that the biggest weakness on a chainplate usually occurs where the chainplate enters the hull. This is where you are most likely to get the standing pool of water that could eventually cause corrosion.

The one chainplate I cut out (which took forever) looked really good. There was no sign of fissure cracks or corrosion. The rust color on the plates came from non-stainless steel screws that held the chainplate box cover in place. There was a little rot on one of the knees. We built up the one knee again and re-glassed them all back in the way they were. I made one small modification though. We left a sliver of the chainplate exposed right at the top so that I could feel for moisture or see signs of leakage. So far, a couple of gnarly sailing trips later with some good winds and all is still fine.

I have some pictures that I'll get around to posting.

P.S. David - your website appears to be terminated. I hope you had a backup copy of everything as they appear to have lost all data in the termination.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.