Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-21-2009
I grew up on this ship ..

FullandBy is on a distinguished road
Chain Plate Ideas

Well its spring time and I want to tackle the carpet on my ceilings. But seeming as I have the carpet off, I'm thinking I should also tackle my chainplates - which I'm sure (after 30 years) should be changed. Currently they are enclosed in fibreglass which I guess was a tactic of the times. I would love to see some alternate means of securing the chainplates to the hull (preferably interior). Can anyone post some photos to give me some ideas? Here is what I presently have ...

Inside

Outside

Last edited by FullandBy; 04-21-2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: can't upload photo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2009

dsmylie is on a distinguished road
What kind of boat do you have? Do you have any exterior pictures of where your chain plates go through the deck?
Old 04-21-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The simplest thing would be to make replacements and through bolt them to the hull.

As for the sailnet photo thing... it's basically busted...so linking to the photos on an external site, like flickr.com is the best way to do it.

If you click on the "Link image" icon and then paste the IMG text from Flickr.com, you should get the result above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-21-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
That's a signifigant change to make, your knees look like a fine solution, don't try to change unless you have a compelling reason. With any luck your chainplates may be fine, 30 years or not, just open them up enough so you can verify their condition and that of the knee material, which I would assume is a marine wood. Don't rip out anything that isn't rusted or rotted.
Old 04-21-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
One idea might be to bolt the chain plates through the knee wall but leave the chain plates uncovered. You might have to re-build the knee walls to do this in order to re-use the existing exit points in the deck.
The reason for doing it this way is that even stainless steel will (eventually) rust when deprived of oxygen where moisture is present.

Everybody has one:

Old 04-21-2009
I grew up on this ship ..

FullandBy is on a distinguished road
It's a Cooper 416. I've included the exterior pic as well now that I've figured out the flickr link thing (thanks SD).

SD - I have thought about bolting to the outside but haven't really seen any pretty examples so far.

SF - oh believe me I would love nothing more than to cover this up and not do anything. But I have seen on one of them what appears to be some rust. Most people I talk to all say the same thing and to not worry about it.

Here is a close up picture of the one chain plate that looks rusty, you can see the rust in the lower right hand corner.

Old 04-22-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
That discoloration is hard to call...could this be just some moisture collecting under the carpet? Have you taken off the deck trim plates and dug out whatever is under them? Rust if any would start there...if the fittings look good under those plates, I'd recaulk and go sailing.

I also don't care for the glassed in fittings..why does a builder do that...but you are going way out in left field and looking for trouble to start changing the original construction without establishing that it isn't still servicable today.

If you are not comfortable after the above inspection, get a good surveyor to put a visit to your boat on his itinery. For the cost of an hour of his time, you'll get a better idea of what you have. My bet is that it's just fine.
Old 04-22-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
If you are not comfortable after the above inspection, get a good surveyor to put a visit to your boat on his itinery. For the cost of an hour of his time, you'll get a better idea of what you have. My bet is that it's just fine.
This seems a good plan.. especially now that you have everything open and exposed. I agree that you may end up wishing that you'd left well enough alone if indeed everything is in fact OK.

I would think there are still some people around who may recall the exact details of construction - maybe try Queenship Yachts ( a luxury yacht company that originally grew out of the old Cooper business near Vancouver) for a potential contact. Or perhaps other Cooper owners?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-22-2009

kaluvic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
One idea might be to bolt the chain plates through the knee wall but leave the chain plates uncovered. You might have to re-build the knee walls to do this in order to re-use the existing exit points in the deck.
The reason for doing it this way is that even stainless steel will (eventually) rust when deprived of oxygen where moisture is present.
I agree with CaledD 100%
Old 04-22-2009

amarinesurveyor is on a distinguished road
CaledD is right that stainless steel does corrode when deprived of oxygen.
I would recommend that you open up each one for inspection, it is something that should be done as a maintenance item as boats get older than 10 or 15 years old. This is something that you do not want to wait until it breaks before you fix it.
Here's a link to a couple of pictures I took, one is a failed chain plate, and the other is a cracked chainplate.
Chainplate
Brian

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.