Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-21-2009

Mulberry4 is on a distinguished road
Post Rigging Mirage 25

I own a Mirage 25, bought late last year. I had four meetings with the previous owner, one of which included a short sail on the lake (Erie). These, my inspection and a professional survey completed my due diligence, and I closed the deal a few days before the seller's departure for a new home more than 2,000 miles distant. (When I first answered his ad, he told me about his pending departure.) Before leaving, he unstepped the mast (as we had agreed) and put the boat into winter storage, and I witnessed some of this. I am now looking forward to de-storing and launching the boat for this year's sailing season. I plan to get to know the boat's systems well enough to launch it, during the next three weeks.

My main concern is that I am nowhere near familiar enough with the boat's rigging. In past years I have done a fair bit of sailing, nearly all in dinghies. The boat I speak of above is my first keel-boat. The boat's rigging fittings, ropes, lines and other paraphernalia are all on the mast or stored in the boat, but I am not sure what goes where. I am hoping that one or more readers of this may be able and willing to advise me and/or, perhaps, give me info re possible sources of rigging information on a Mirage 25.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
Make friends with your slip mate and the yard staff! But more seriously, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out. Once the mast is up and the standing rigging is connected, stuff will just fall into place. What's the worst that could happen? Before you head out for a day sail, visualize what needs to happen to do everything. Raising the main means a halyard, outhaul, tack point (maybe a cunningham) and a sheet. Raising the genoa means a halyard and sheets. Roller furling means a line aft. just picture what goes where.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 04-23-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
Forgot to mention. Run your genoa or jib sheets OUTSIDE the shrouds. I ran them on the inside once on a Laser 2 and it was not a pretty scene!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 04-25-2009

craigimass is on a distinguished road
A number of books have generic rigging information which should help a lot.

But, it might be even more helpful if some members could email you a PDF of an owners manual for any similar boat (most 18-27 keel boats should have somewhat similar rigging).

It's possible that there are even some manuals or guides on certain manufacturers sites.

Here is a link to a page which appears to have contacts - and even galleries on a lot of old manuals:
SailboatOwners.com - Oday 23 owners manual
"I do not conceive we can exist long as a nation without having lodged somewhere a power which will pervade the whole Union in as energetic a manner as the authority of the state governments extends over the individual states"
-George Washington
Old 07-02-2010

lnosko is on a distinguished road
I own a Mirage 25 on Lake Erie (Sandusky)

Let me know if you have any questions on rigging or anything else with the boat. I have stepped the mast and taken it down on a Mirage 25 for the last 21 years.

My boat is equipped with Harken Roller Furling and a Volvo MB2A-50S sail drive if you have questions on that. I also added a split back stay.
Old 01-22-2011

stefd is on a distinguished road
lnosko, I have a Mirage 25 also, and I plan to take down the mast in the spring to make some repairs.

This is the first time I'll do this operation, and I am a bit nervous about what to expect, both when taking the mast down, and then putting it back up in place...

I would appreciate a walkthrough of the steps required, and any tips you might have.

Thanks!
--
Stephane
Old 01-24-2011

ahab211 is on a distinguished road
Mirage rigging

I have a 24 C&C and have never taken down the mast in the four years I've owned it. It is a similar boat and if I needed help with the rigging the search option on this website or a google search would give you all the info you'd need. I put up my running rigging by memory and so far so good. good luck.

Last edited by ahab211; 01-24-2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-29-2011

lnosko is on a distinguished road
Mirage 25 mast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefd View Post
lnosko, I have a Mirage 25 also, and I plan to take down the mast in the spring to make some repairs.

This is the first time I'll do this operation, and I am a bit nervous about what to expect, both when taking the mast down, and then putting it back up in place...

I would appreciate a walkthrough of the steps required, and any tips you might have.

Thanks!
--
Stephane
I have owned my Mirage since 1989. the mast has been up and down every year. I will put together a few steps and lessons learned and get back to you.

Lou
Old 01-31-2011

stefd is on a distinguished road
This will be much appreciated, thanks!

--
Stephane
Old 02-18-2011
Mirage 25

bempey is on a distinguished road
Mirage 25

Hi everyone,

I'm a new Mirage 25 owner as of a few weeks before the close of last season. I've done some looking and have not been able to find a manual for the boat which is a 1987 vintage and has had a few previous owners.

In addition, I would love any suggestions for sail inventory as my boat has a main and jib mounted to a profurler system and both are likely original. Does anyone use a spinaker on their Mirage 25?

Much thanks in advance. I'll be re-rigging this Spring also for the first time, so any help or suggestions on this topic also very appreciated.

Burton

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.