Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-28-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
They don't make a red Sensibulb AFAIK, so you are only buying one per fixture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
Do the Sensibulbs fit in the 5 1/2" ABI fixture? I don't have room for the 7" and I think that 2 Sensibulbs in the 7" is a tight fit.

Also you say $60 per fixture, but my math is close to $100 (2 bulbs + 1 fixutre) or are you only using 1 Sensibulb along with 1 Xenon that's included?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2009

mallo is on a distinguished road
Hi All
I have no association with this company and have used their LED bulbs for a number of years with very happy results, they stock warm and cold(blue) white as well as some other colours.
Try wwwdotultraledsdotcodotuk
I would suggest you do what I did and if you have a number of fittings that you want LED’s for, to get one of each type you require and test them before ordering loads.
They will export and I hope this helps
Best wishes
Old 04-28-2009
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
I was thinking 2 10 watt white Sensibulbs (part # 10010) per fixture. The 5 1/2" and 7" that I am considering come with 2 / 12v 10 watt white Xenon light bulbs with a high/off/low switch.

The fixtures that have the red and white bulbs have white/off/red switch. FYI - They do make a red sensibulb (part #10012)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
They don't make a red Sensibulb AFAIK, so you are only buying one per fixture.
Old 04-28-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Hi Guys, a few things I have learned on this topic over the past few weeks.

First, check out Replacement LED bulbs for your existing boat fixtures for a variety of LED bulbs that fit different places. I had a lot of correspondence with the owner and he was immensely helpful. He has a small bulb that is supposedly very bright, uses less power than the SensiBulb and is a warm color. I have one on order.

On the red LED bulbs, I suggest that you get red from marinebeam.com or someone else, as a red sensibulb is pricy. The big benefit of SensiBulb is its nice warm color and uniform distribution. But the fixture will help with distribution and red is, well, red. I have a red bulb from marinebeam on the way as well.

About the fixtures, someone at Defender told me that ABI is going under, and may or may not be picked up by someone else. I don;t know this first hand, I am just passing along what I was told.
Old 04-30-2009

My bulbs arrived today. One is the 15 LED SMD array "light hammer" and the other is a 10 LED array in red.

I have not brought them to the boat yet, but I fired them up in my dining room with a 12VDC power supply. I pointed the red one at the white ceiling, fired it up and turned out all the other lights. It lit the entire room nicely, and had a nice distribution.

I next tried the light hammer. Its physically tiny, and has a heat sink on the back. When I fired it up, I was very pleased with the intensity and color. The color was a nice warm color. It would not be enough to light the room by itself, but the room is bigger than my boat's cabin and I would not expect one bulb to light the entire cabin anyhow. I did notice that the spread appeared narrower than the red bulb, but it did fall off evenly from the center. It also got too warm to hold, and needed a minute or so to cool off to be touched after it was turned off. But it didn't get as warm as a non-LED bulb.

I'll install the new fixtures and bulbs in the next few days and let everyone know how the look on board. I can't compare to a SensiBulb as I have never seen one, but MaineSail has already done that quite nicely. I don't think the light hammer was included in his review though.

Anyhow, that's the Marine Beam LED update...
Old 04-30-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
While..

The "Light Hammer" seems interesting, and I like Jeff, but his marketing is trending towards snake oil..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinebeam
  • At over 120 Lumens it is the world's brightest Warm White bulb in a standard G4 form-factor.
Let's not forget that Practical Sailor recently rated the Sensibulb day light version (2950 color temp) at 150 lumens.. The Light Hammer is 3000k and roughly 120 lumens. So, is the light Hammer really the worlds brightest warm white G4 bulb? Hmmmm.....

For $35.00 I would still consider the Sensibulb especially when you've already stated that the beam width appeared narrower..

Sensibulb (Daylight)= 150 lumens / 60" beam width / 2990 color temp

Sensibulb (Soft Light)= 130 lumens / 58" beam width / 2650 color temp

Even the original warm white Sensibulb, with 2650 color temp, is both brighter and significantly warmer. 3000k is not really all that warm when compared to 2650k..

If you call Nick at Sailor's Solutions and tell him you read about the Sensibulb on one of the forums he will immediately knock 10% off the price.

Jeff at Marine Beam is a good guy and he sells some good bulbs at a decent value but at $35.00, with a "narrow beam" and only 120 lumens I think you can certainly over pay unless you absolutely need a teeny tiny bulb. The same color temp Sensibulb will cost you $35.99 or $.99 cents more but will deliver 20% more brightness than the Light Hammer and can also be used in bot horizontal and vertical fixtures...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 04-30-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-30-2009

recycle is on a distinguished road
I bought 6 of the 51/2 and 1-7 inch nav. I bought the Titan Tough and they do have a great looking finish. I should have all of them installed tomorrow night. All the mounting holes match up with the old tarnished fixtures. I ended up getting them from Defender.

I plan on starting out with a couple of them with the Sensi LED bulbs to see if I like them. I may just use LED in the V berth since we read for hours in there.

LUNA
Tartan 3800
Old 04-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
The "Light Hammer" seems interesting, and I like Jeff, but his marketing is trending towards snake oil..
Well I don't have a position on which bulb is better, because I have never seen a SensiBulb. You did an excellent comparison, but the light hammer was not included. I saw it has a warm light and is bright so I thought I would try it.

I can't agree that Jeff is a snake oil salesman. His bulbs do work and work nicely. I emailed him, and I point blank asked him how his products compared to SensiBulbs. He replied saying that the SensiBulb in an excellent product, and gave me some pros and cons of that and of his bulbs. I can't independently verify or deny his claims, but I thought his comments on his bulbs and the Sensibulbs seemed fair and honest.

Quote:
Let's not forget that Practical Sailor recently rated the Sensibulb day light version (2950 color temp) at 150 lumens.. The Light Hammer is 3000k and roughly 120 lumens. So, is the light Hammer really the worlds brightest warm white G4 bulb? Hmmmm.....
Jeff did say that SensiBulb does not rate their bulbs in lumens, and he guessed at what he thought the output is. I didn't ask about the review, because I did forget.

Quote:
For $35.00 I would still consider the Sensibulb especially when you've already stated that the beam width appeared narrower..
I didn't realize the SensiBulb was $35.00, I thought it as closer to $50.00. My comment on the beam spread was in comparison to Jeff's 10 LED array in red, not to a SensiBulb. The light hammer did light my dining room nicely, and after I try it on the boat I'll post an update.

Quote:
Even the original warm white Sensibulb, with 2650 color temp, is both brighter and significantly warmer. 3000k is not really all that warm when compared to 2650k..

If you call Nick at Sailor's Solutions and tell him you read about the Sensibulb on one of the forums he will immediately knock 10% off the price.
Maybe I'll order one and give it a try. The numbers do look favorable. I'll put them next to each other, switch back and forth and see what differences I notice.

Last edited by jarcher; 04-30-2009 at 05:50 PM.