SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Lifeline 6Volt AGM Batteries (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/53763-lifeline-6volt-agm-batteries.html)

chef2sail 04-23-2009 01:29 AM

Lifeline 6Volt AGM Batteries

I am getting ready to purchase 4 of these 6volt batteries. The footprint height of them is less than 10" which is unusual for a 6 volt. They are rated 220 ah reserves. Anyone have a positive or negative experience with them?

What size battery box(s) have you use for them?

Dave

sailingdog 04-23-2009 07:46 AM

Lifeline is generally considered a pretty decent brand of battery. IIRC, Blue sea and West Marine both carry battery boxes that should fit two of the golf-cart sized batteries.

jason3317 04-23-2009 10:26 AM

I have the GPL-6C (300AH) version of the Lifelines you are considering. Absolutely no issues, so far.

I have a custom battery box for my house batts. You might consider since these are AGMs, that you might not need a box in the traditional sense...as they are spill proof...but simply require a way to restrain from movement.

sailingdog 04-23-2009 03:46 PM

The battery box is also to prevent things from coming into contact with the terminals... If you've ever dropped a wrench across a set of battery terminals... you'd be very aware of how impressive and dangerous that can be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason3317 (Post 478925)
I have the GPL-6C (300AH) version of the Lifelines you are considering. Absolutely no issues, so far.

I have a custom battery box for my house batts. You might consider since these are AGMs, that you might not need a box in the traditional sense...as they are spill proof...but simply require a way to restrain from movement.

scottbr 04-23-2009 08:26 PM

So, I'm also looking at 4 golf cart batteries, what is the requirement for battery boxes. I may not have room for 4 plastic boxes in the current battery space. Is there another option to 4 separate boxes?

sailingdog 04-23-2009 08:44 PM

Most of the Golf Cart battery boxes are designed FOR TWO GOLF CART BATTERIES. So you'd only have two of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottbr (Post 479083)
So, I'm also looking at 4 golf cart batteries, what is the requirement for battery boxes. I may not have room for 4 plastic boxes in the current battery space. Is there another option to 4 separate boxes?

chef2sail 04-23-2009 09:03 PM

Saildog...you must have read my mind. I indveratley fropped a packing wrench across the terminals once and youd have thjought it was the fourth of July. I will buy boxes for that as well as in the small remote change that every the liquid inside the battery ever leaked out. Do not need the acid swishing on the gelcoat.

dave

kaluvic 04-24-2009 04:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the battery box I built for 6 of the same AGM's

sailingdog 04-24-2009 08:21 AM

Acid bad... arc welding the terminals on the battery also bad... :) Battery box good. Especially if you have it fastened down properly..
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 479103)
Saildog...you must have read my mind. I indveratley fropped a packing wrench across the terminals once and youd have thjought it was the fourth of July. I will buy boxes for that as well as in the small remote change that every the liquid inside the battery ever leaked out. Do not need the acid swishing on the gelcoat.

dave