Opinions wanted - fabric vs vinyl, open vs closed cell foam - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-24-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
I did mine myself. Sunbrella is ok but the fact is it is not totally water repellent. One of the better sides of marine vinyl... based on design of the cushions etc - water does not get to the cushion foam. In which case you can use the cheapest most comfortable foam you desire. The drawbacks are the stickiness of the vinyl - but seriously if you have leather for you car - yu get over it quick.

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Mine have velcro too. I believe, but do not quote me, that velcro on the bottom is a pretty common way to keep cushions from moving.

Also, something to think about, assuming you have cushions currently. I took in my V berth, where there was two, and made it on bigger one. Added a cushion I did not have for the saloon, and IIRC, in the aft stateroom, a spot where there was two med and on smaller, I made into two cushions also. It made getting under these area's actually easier.

Marty
Actually, my V Birth had two cushions, side by side. I'm going to convert that to two smaller triangle ones forward with one wider but less deep one aft. That's because I have a locker in the aft part of the V Birth I want to get into easily, but before it required removing both cushions from the V Birth - what a pain! This should be easier, with just that smaller aft cushion needing to be moved.

Other than that, there really are no other spaces where breaking the cushions into more than one would help. But actually, its worth thinking about, just to make getting the cushions on and off the boat easier, should I want to, say for winter storage.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 04-24-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
My wife will be redoing our cushions with our sailrite machine an new open cell foam. We are looking at using material composed of cotton (75%) and polyester fabric (25%) from a fabric store upholstery bolts where there are many to chose from. Then we will scotch gaurd and make them water resistant. We want breathability so we do not get mildew. The cloth is much cheaper when bought this way and there are many more patterns and styles to choose from. It is also more compfortble to sleep on the sumbrella.

The hard part is also cutting the foam to make the odd shappped cushions.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-24-2009
Coastal Traveler

nereussailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
cushions

Cutting is actually easy. here's a couple of tips an upholsterer taught me.

If you don't have any old cushions, make patterns from cardboard or heavy brown packaging paper.

Cut the foam 1/2" bigger on each side than you want the cushions. Example= If your cushions to be 24" by 76" cut the foam 25" by 77" then sew the fabric to the dimensions of the patterns. It squishes the foam down a bit and makes for a tighter fitting cover.

To cut the foam, use an electric knife like you would use to carve a ham.
This makes cutting the foam real easy. Mark both sides, and go slow .

I have done cushions for my last two boats, and am getting ready to do the ones for my latest boat.

Patterned fabric hides a lot of stains. On boats, things get spilled when it gets rough. The patterns in a fabric can hide those stains. Use a fabric that has stain resistance in it when you buy it, or use a spray stain resister such as Scotch Guard. It's not as good as the fabric that comes with stain blocker in it from the factory, but it helps a lot.

On my last boat, I did all of my cushions for around $500 including foam.

I also made my own winch covers, sail bag, sail cover and cockpit cushions.

If you've never done any sewing projects for your boat, I wouldn't suggest starting with cushions, but go for the simpler things like pillows, winch covers, and other small things to get practice. There are plenty of books and videos out there to learn from.

I know that you're going to have someone else make them, but thought others could use the information.

Dave
Old 04-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereussailor View Post
Patterned fabric hides a lot of stains. On boats, things get spilled when it gets rough. The patterns in a fabric can hide those stains. Use a fabric that has stain resistance in it when you buy it, or use a spray stain resister such as Scotch Guard. It's not as good as the fabric that comes with stain blocker in it from the factory, but it helps a lot.
This is all great info, especially this tip, thank you!
Old 04-24-2009

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
This is another project that we are in the middle of. We are using a high quality high density, high compression open cell foam. Check out Foam 101 on newjsi dot com. OC is far more comfortable than CC, and the drain through stuff is way too expensive for the cabin. For covers we are using sunbrella on top, and a breathable poly-vinyl on the bottom. The bottoms will be resistant to absorbing condensation from the fiberglass, and the tops are breathable to facilitate drying. We are also putting zippers on everything to allow for removing covers for washing, or for drying out the foam, should it get seriously wet.
Old 04-24-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by nereussailor View Post
Cutting is actually easy. here's a couple of tips an upholsterer taught me.

If you don't have any old cushions, make patterns from cardboard or heavy brown packaging paper.

Cut the foam 1/2" bigger on each side than you want the cushions. Example= If your cushions to be 24" by 76" cut the foam 25" by 77" then sew the fabric to the dimensions of the patterns. It squishes the foam down a bit and makes for a tighter fitting cover.
While 1/2" larger is a good rule of thumb, it really depends on the size of the cushions. The "excess" should be increased if the cushions are very long in one dimension. For instance, going an 2" extra on the length of a 6' long cushion might be necessary to get the firm fit you're looking for. 1/2" IMHO is good for up to about 4' or so... and for larger, you should probably go up to 3/4" or 1" on the longer dimensions.

Quote:
To cut the foam, use an electric knife like you would use to carve a ham.
This makes cutting the foam real easy. Mark both sides, and go slow .
If you have access to a big meat locker, freezing the foam helps it cut more neatly.

Quote:
I have done cushions for my last two boats, and am getting ready to do the ones for my latest boat.

On my last boat, I did all of my cushions for around $500 including foam.

I also made my own winch covers, sail bag, sail cover and cockpit cushions.

If you've never done any sewing projects for your boat, I wouldn't suggest starting with cushions, but go for the simpler things like pillows, winch covers, and other small things to get practice. There are plenty of books and videos out there to learn from.

I know that you're going to have someone else make them, but thought others could use the information.

Dave
I'd point out that most major cities have at least one major foam distributor and you can often buy the foam from them at far less cost than buying it elsewhere.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-24-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Great tips Nereusailor and Saildog. I took notes. We do have acess to a large freezer. I will try that.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-25-2009
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road
Has anyone used "memory foam" (Tempurpedic?) for cabin cushions? One strike against it is that it is very heavy. I don't know what its water absorption or breatheability characteristics are. On the plus side, it can be very comfortable. You can buy mattress toppers relatively cheaply on Ebay. Thoughts?

Old 04-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzir View Post
Has anyone used "memory foam" (Tempurpedic?) for cabin cushions? One strike against it is that it is very heavy. I don't know what its water absorption or breatheability characteristics are. On the plus side, it can be very comfortable. You can buy mattress toppers relatively cheaply on Ebay. Thoughts?
The guy who is doing mine showed me some. It seemed very squishy and pretty expensive. I saw on his web site that he can make a 4 inch cushion where the bottom 3 inches are normal foam and the top inch is memory foam. He bonds them together.

I plan to ask him about the cost of that and I'll let everyone know what the difference is. BTW, in case anyone is interested, here is his web site:

Custom Cushions & Canvas Products in Maine