Compass repair - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 04-25-2009
Telstar 28
 
sailingdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 14
         
Good point.. I forgot that compass cards for the other hemisphere might also do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
If your compass card has always been like this (i.e. you can't remember seeing it any other way) then the chances are the compass was manufactured for the other hemisphere.

The magnetic variation of the earth is such that as you proceed from far north to far south the compass card starts to lean. The compass manufacturer will glue a tiny weight onto the underside of the card to compensate for this and the compass will often display the lean tendency when going to the opposite hemisphere.

It sounds like you have a southern hemisphere compass in the northern hemisphere.

This is often evident in older compasses, I believe the later models don't do this.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
sailingdog is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 20 Old 04-25-2009 Thread Starter
Sea Slacker
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,789
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
IIRC, not all compasses were filled with oil. You really should check to see what the manufacturer, if they're still in business, recommends.
I doubt they are (and if they are - I doubt they remember) - it's been 37+ years
Actually I am thinking of replacing it. The compass has 5 degree gradations and I'd like something a bit bigger and a bit more precise. May be at the end of the season though - I have my hands full with projects and the boat is nowhere near water yet.
brak is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #13 of 20 Old 04-25-2009
Senior Member
 
trantor12020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 699
Thanks: 4
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
If your compass card has always been like this (i.e. you can't remember seeing it any other way) then the chances are the compass was manufactured for the other hemisphere.

The magnetic variation of the earth is such that as you proceed from far north to far south the compass card starts to lean. The compass manufacturer will glue a tiny weight onto the underside of the card to compensate for this and the compass will often display the lean tendency when going to the opposite hemisphere.

It sounds like you have a southern hemisphere compass in the northern hemisphere.

This is often evident in older compasses, I believe the later models don't do this.
I guess as much. Think I'll just leave it as is since it still works. Thanks Andri.

Ken
2002 Hunter 326, SV Millennium 2
1999 Macgregor 26X, SV Millennium
trantor12020 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #14 of 20 Old 04-26-2009
Reward for lost Kraken!
 
hellosailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,449
Thanks: 5
Thanked 132 Times in 129 Posts
Rep Power: 11
   
Some compass makers offer very reasonable repair or replacement services, so first call the maker.

Compass fluid varies, it may be alcohol, oil, mineral spirits, etc. If you put in the wrong one, you'll muck things up. If you want to top it up, ask the maker what the correct fluid is (many sell it) or ask them for the MSDS on the fluid tha tthey sell--they are required to provide an MSDS for any "chemicals" shipped interstate. And change the o-ring or other reason that your compass leaked, as well.
hellosailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #15 of 20 Old 04-26-2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beacon Falls CT USA
Posts: 310
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
I filled mine with Gin, now it always points to the tonic.
Pub911 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #16 of 20 Old 04-26-2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 166
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
I would think that the gimball would have enough weight to counteract in magnetic forces in a compass.
MoonSailer is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #17 of 20 Old 04-27-2009
Senior Member
 
Omatako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Posts: 2,536
Thanks: 1
Thanked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSailer View Post
I would think that the gimball would have enough weight to counteract in magnetic forces in a compass.
The "un-balanced card" is a known element in steering compasses. Here is a process of swinging a compass that about halfway down the page deals with hemispherical lean on the card. Here is a comment by Roy McBride:

"Every boat needs a compass if it intends doing coastal or offshore work,its not just a job of taking the new (or old) compass from its box and bolting it down,certain things must first be done,here are a few pointers (no pun intended)the first thing to check is if the unit you have is a northern or southern hemisphere compass? This is due to the pull of the worlds magnetic field being different at each side of the equator,this means the compass card will show a lean or 'pull' on a compass fitted in England but now having traveled to South Africa. Normally the card tilt is just a bother but in some cases the card can actually stick,then its a worry,assuming we understand that side of things we can move to the next issue."

And I could find many more - I'm just not interested enough. I'm also not clever enough to make up a story like that.

For the whole article on swinging your own compass see:

CKD Boats - Roy Mc Bride: Compass Swinging for yachts,you can do it yourself


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

__________________

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Omatako is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #18 of 20 Old 04-29-2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 166
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
You are right!!! I guess that dip is a stronger force than I thought. I knew that dip affected compasses but thought that the gimball weight was enough. It is good to learn..thanks.
MoonSailer is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #19 of 20 Old 04-29-2009
Senior Member
 
pdqaltair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Deale, MD
Posts: 2,517
Thanks: 1
Thanked 49 Times in 49 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
I have run into ethylene glycol before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Some compass makers offer very reasonable repair or replacement services, so first call the maker.

Compass fluid varies, it may be alcohol, oil, mineral spirits, etc. If you put in the wrong one, you'll muck things up. If you want to top it up, ask the maker what the correct fluid is (many sell it) or ask them for the MSDS on the fluid tha tthey sell--they are required to provide an MSDS for any "chemicals" shipped interstate. And change the o-ring or other reason that your compass leaked, as well.
As material compatibilities go, it is either petroleum (mineral oil) or aqueous (alcohol/glycol/glycol ether). So, does the existing fluid mix with water? Simple.

If it is aqueous, best dump it all and use fresh EG or glycerine, mixed 50/50 with water.

(when asked how he reached the starting holds on a difficult rock climbing problem that clearly favored taller climbers - he was perhaps 5'5")

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pdqaltair is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #20 of 20 Old 04-29-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
The "un-balanced card" is a known element in steering compasses. Here is a process of swinging a compass that about halfway down the page deals with hemispherical lean on the card. Here is a comment by Roy McBride:

"Every boat needs a compass if it intends doing coastal or offshore work,its not just a job of taking the new (or old) compass from its box and bolting it down,certain things must first be done,here are a few pointers (no pun intended)the first thing to check is if the unit you have is a northern or southern hemisphere compass? This is due to the pull of the worlds magnetic field being different at each side of the equator,this means the compass card will show a lean or 'pull' on a compass fitted in England but now having traveled to South Africa. Normally the card tilt is just a bother but in some cases the card can actually stick,then its a worry,assuming we understand that side of things we can move to the next issue."

And I could find many more - I'm just not interested enough. I'm also not clever enough to make up a story like that.

For the whole article on swinging your own compass see:

CKD Boats - Roy Mc Bride: Compass Swinging for yachts,you can do it yourself
Does that mean you need two compasses if you sail in both hemispheres ?
t4li3sin is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Understanding and Using the Magnetic Compass Jim Sexton Learning to Sail Articles 0 03-01-2000 07:00 PM
Understanding and Using the Magnetic Compass Jim Sexton Seamanship Articles 0 03-01-2000 07:00 PM
Understanding and Using the Magnetic Compass Jim Sexton Gear and Maintenance Articles 0 03-01-2000 07:00 PM
Understanding and Using the Magnetic Compass Jim Sexton Cruising Articles 0 03-01-2000 07:00 PM
Understanding and Using the Magnetic Compass Jim Sexton Her Sailnet Articles 0 03-01-2000 07:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome