Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-26-2009

pras is on a distinguished road
Red face Replacement Rudder Thoughts

Hi and thanks in advance. We are in the process of buying a boat with a rudder that has been snapped off. Does anybody have advice on replacing a rudder for a 1995 Hunter 45 Passage (please assume we're moving forward with the purchase ) We foresee the following options:
1. Replacement rudder from Hunter
2. Have a yard fabricate a replica (outside my skillset)
3. Try to find a rudder from a salvaged boat
4. Duct tape an oar to the tiller (Can't imagine this is to code)

We're torn on which option and would appreciate any advice, history, or suggestions. If option #3, any ideas who we can reach out to find one?

Cheers,
pras
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Pras, your best bet is a replacement from Hunter IF available. Having a yard fab something up will probably give you steering problems as rudder balance depends on exact dimensions, and that's a hard job to match up.

Buying a used rudder leaves you to ask how good it is, whether there is internal water damage or not. That can be determined--but simply finding a used rudder for any boat is a good trick. Add the expenses for non-destructive testing...and it might be faster and cheaper to buy a new one.

Which might easily be $5000 for a boat in that range.

Then of course, if the rudder was snapped off, you'll be having a professional survey of the rudder tube, to see how much damage there is (there WILL be damage) and what a proper repair or reinforcement for that will be.

Rudders can be an "OUCH!" subject.
Old 04-26-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I hope you're getting a significant discount on the boat given the rudder's status.

As HS said, getting one from Hunter is probably your best bet. Having a surveyor take a very close look at the rudder tube and the surrounding area is a very good idea, since anything impact sufficient to snap a rudder off is going to have some effect as HS points out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-26-2009

pras is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the sage advice. We will be getting the survey done and are making sure the price is appropriate for the condition of the boat. (at least I think, but then again I've been wrong before and will most definitely be wrong again). Based on your advice we'll most likely go with the Hunter rudder.
Old 04-26-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Needless to say...whatever at the rudder, may have also caused keel damage, so do ask your surveyor to poke around. In depth, no pun intended.

If it was impact damage, that tends to travel in odd ways in a boat. I've seen bulkhead tabbing break and shelves shift all over a 29' boat that was "lightly" t-boned in race. It is possible that the drive shaft, prop support, engine mounts, engine main bearings, all took impact damage. Most likely not--but still, you can get surprises. On a boat in that size range, it pays to ask the seller exactly what happened. They may very well have gotten a survey and decided to get rid of the boat instead of repairing it, because of things that are not readily seen.
Old 04-26-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would second what HS said... especially about the keel, since on most boats, the rudder is protected and has less draft than the keel.

I'd recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, and use the information there to take a look at the boat before hiring a surveyor. The information in that thread may be able to let you decide whether it is even worth going forward on getting a survey or whether you should walk away.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-27-2009

bobidler is on a distinguished road
If you do decide to buy the boat, I can highly recommend Foss Foam in Williston, FL. They have the exact dimensions and a great deal of experience with Hunter rudders. We recently used them and couldn't have been happier with their service. Their web site is newrudders.com.

Cheers!
Old 04-27-2009
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
I must respectfully disagree with the suggestion of using Foss Foam. We did so in the Spring of 2003 with the rebuild of the rudder on our First 42 and this past January discovered major distortion of the rudder due to shrinkage of the foam that cost nearly two thousand dollars to correct. Foss declined any assistance with the matter claiming that it's warranty was only for one year. We subsequently learned the problem is commonplace with Foss Foam rudders.

A complete discussion of the problem can be found at Possible Rudder rebuild questions - Page 3 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums commencing with post #39.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-27-2009
Plausible Deniability

"Foss Foam in Williston, FL."
As I've said elsewhere, I'd rather blow up the boat. We had terrible problems with them doing semi-custom work. IF, and only if, they were the original stock supplier of a rudder...that might be different. (I'd still want a boat built with a different rudder!)
Old 04-27-2009
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
They do warn you about painting the rudder a dark color then leaving it out in the sun, don't they?