Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-27-2009

huguley3 is on a distinguished road
Indeed I mean a horn cleat. Besides my boat I only ever see them used for dock lines. I have them for both main and jib sheets. I planned to use cam cleats for the jib sheets as they stick out less. I have not decided whether I am going to put them where the existing cleats are or up where I would need to smooth out the non-skid. But that is another question that I am still pondering and researching yet.

Here is a pic of the winch/sheet/cleat in question:

Don't ask about the teak in poor shape. Still working on that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
30' Islander Bahama

Last edited by huguley3; 04-27-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
SIde cabin shot

Back forward cabin top shot

Right side after adding clutches, and 2nd winch

The upper is a side shot of the area at the top of my cabin. I believe your Islander is a bit smaller up there vs my 30' Jeanneau, but you can see what I had before I removed the "horn/jam cleat" on the top of my cabin top. With the clutch's that are in front of the winch.

The clutch closest to you in the pic, is for when I use my 110 or smaller jibs. As I have two jib tracks. One down below for my 130, 140 and 155 carbon, and one in between the wood rails you see on the outside of my cabin and the mast for smaller headsails, that lead aft thru that clutch and to the winch. At some point in time, the winch you see, will move a bit more inward, and a bigger winch, probably a 32 will go to the outside approx where the cleat is for the small jibs.

I prefer this style "horn cleat" for lack of better wording, or knowledge of what that cleat is, probably should look it up online at WM or equal eh?

The inner clutches, are for my boom vang, cunningham, empty for spin pole ring, Jib then main halyards and 110- jib. Other side is set up simaler, but I have the first three lines are for outhaul/reef lines, spin and 2nd jib halyard, boom lift, spin pole lift and 110- clutch. I also have two winches there, a single speed 14 on the inside, and a dual speed 16 on the outside, that will go inside when I get bigger winches for the outside.

Hopefully how I have things setup will help you come up with a plan for you cabin top, and what may or may not work.

Marty

ON EDIT,
added two more pics, left now looks similar to the right side, with one more triple clutch set to the right towards cabin entry, with double stacked organizers per side. You can also see the inside jib tracks too. I should point out, I do race my boat, so I probably have a few more lines than most will!

Last edited by blt2ski; 04-27-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I recommend you read this post I just wrote on controlling lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huguley3 View Post
Indeed I mean a horn cleat. Besides my boat I only ever see them used for dock lines. I have them for both main and jib sheets. I planned to use cam cleats for the jib sheets as they stick out less. I have not decided whether I am going to put them where the existing cleats are or up where I would need to smooth out the non-skid. But that is another question that I am still pondering and researching yet.

Here is a pic of the winch/sheet/cleat in question:

Don't ask about the teak in poor shape. Still working on that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-28-2009
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My mainsheet currently uses a dock cleat to secure it. It seems kind of scary to me to use something like that for a sheet so I am looking at replacing it with a rope clutch.
Given that the load in the sheet is carried by the winch, not the cleat, which merely keeps the wraps tight around the winch barrel, I'm not sure what looks "scary". The cleat shown in you photos is more than adaquate for the purpose. As is, you have a simple fool-proof system as is and, unless you wnat your winch to do double-duty for several lines, why change a system that works?

One of the most important things with a main-sheet is to be able to cast it off when the fit hits the shan and know that the line will run free which the system on you boat will do.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-28-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by huguley3 View Post
Indeed I mean a horn cleat. Besides my boat I only ever see them used for dock lines. I have them for both main and jib sheets. I planned to use cam cleats for the jib sheets as they stick out less. .....
Horn cleats of that style would be the most common cleat used on cruising boats your size and up. You might want to take another look around and then leave them in place. In particular i would advise against using cam cleats for jib sheets on a boat your size, as it woulnt be that hard for someone walking around the cockpit to kick the sheet out of the jaws, and I bet you'll have a devil of a time working out the correct entry to the cam. i.e so the sheet feeds clean and straight inot the jaws...

Have you run out of other boat projects?
Old 04-28-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
Putting the mainsheet through a clutch makes it easy for the line to snag - - and therefore STOP -- just when you don't want it to. With the horn cleat you have now, or a camcleat, when you release the line, it RELEASES. When you are trying to slow the boat down as you approach a stone quay or other hard surface this can be important, along with other situations you may come across. We have a clutch on our main halyard, and it is almost more hassle than it's worth, with the snags. I would not put a sheet in a clutch.
Old 04-28-2009

huguley3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Have you run out of other boat projects?
LOL! Nope in fact I managed to create a completely new one last night by waking up in the middle of the night and pulling down the headliner in the V berth. The tacks I bought to put it back up are not long enough. So besides freaking out the SO last night now we are sleeping on the settees tonight...

I also still need to replace my windows and quite a few other tasks. The SO is taking sailing classes though and I would like to get the boat out and about before I put it up for hurricane season.

30' Islander Bahama
Old 04-29-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't use tacks to put up the headliner. Tacks and fiberglass, especially cored fiberglass don't mix well. Use adhesive or velcro tape instead.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-29-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Huguley,

What type of headliner do you have? I've had to redo the one in my boat, many ways to fix it, any options etc.

look here for what and how I did the aft state room, and there is a link to how I did the head. The aft state room shows of mixture of what I did. It might give you some idea's of how to "FIX" your issue vs just "fix"ing the issue.

Staples do not work going into fiberglass!

marty
Old 04-29-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Move the cleat to a storage unit. Or use it as a midship cleat. They're only good for docklines.

Move the winch to where the horn cleat is, add at least a double rope clutch in front of the winch. Lewmars will allow you to ease the load slowly, while under a heavy load. And they're cheaper than spinlocks. Use 3/8" line. If its not strong enough, use a more expensive 3/8" line. For instance, warpspeed: 3/8" = 12,900 lbs

Smaller lines = less friction, as stated above, they hockle less, are easier to coil, less weight aloft, and go around small sheaves better. Rough on the hands? small price to pay for all around better performance. I've noticed the cover of lines are more of a determining factor of comfort, rather than line diameter.