Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-27-2009

bradfalk is on a distinguished road
reefing lines

hi

another question: I have a caliber 28; the front of the boom has jam-cleats through which the reefing lines run (3/8in). I have major difficulty releasing these lines- ie I can reef fine- but when trying to raise the sail again I can't let the lines out. Even when the sail is in down/on the boom and there isn't any tension on the lines I have trouble feeding the lines back out to length. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any ideas. I'm considering trying smaller lines but wanted to see if someone had any suggestions before I spend the money/time trying that.

thanks,

brad
Old 04-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Put a strip of velcro tape on the boom (hook side) and then a tiny bit of velcro tape (loop side) around the tip of each jammer...so that when you pull them all the way up, they'll stick in that position until you release them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
SD has suggested a solution if the issue is that the cam levers catch on the released reefing line. Another alternative is to remove the cam levers completely if the reefing lines run through stoppers, as the cam levers are then not needed.

If the issue is friction in the turning blocks and stoppers situated on the cabintop, then I'd say such friction is common - and not an issue as long as it doesn't materially hinder raising the main when shaking out a reef. If you are using a winch for raising the main the friction may not matter. That you notice the friction if manually pulling the lines back after dropping a reefed main, well just don,t worry about it, you caqn leave the reefing line as is until you next raise the main.

Last edited by sailingfool; 04-27-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-27-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfalk View Post
hi

another question: I have a caliber 28; the front of the boom has jam-cleats through which the reefing lines run (3/8in). I have major difficulty releasing these lines- ie I can reef fine- but when trying to raise the sail again I can't let the lines out. Even when the sail is in down/on the boom and there isn't any tension on the lines I have trouble feeding the lines back out to length. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any ideas. I'm considering trying smaller lines but wanted to see if someone had any suggestions before I spend the money/time trying that.

thanks,

brad
Do you mean that you are having difficulty releasing the jam cleats, or that you can release them but the line snags and pulls them closed again when you feed it out? If the latter, SD's suggestion might work.

If you are having difficulty releasing the jam cleats, usually the best thing is to first crank the reefing lines in a bit more, so that they will cause the jam cleats to open a bit. Do you have a small reefing winch on the boom, or at least a halyard winch on the mast to which you can lead the reefing lines and take in on them?

Once you get the jam cleats open somewhat in this way, you should be able to force them open the rest of the way with the handle.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-27-2009

I'll try it- thanks! My guess is that even 3/8in is too big since the jam cleats have basically no play (ie I can't even move them back and forth). I hate these jam cleats
Old 04-27-2009

Just saw the other posts- thanks. So- the cam levers/ jam cleats are basically always providing "squeeze" and grabbing the line-- even when the levers are back all the way there is still friction there. I actually have to reach in from the top of the boom past the pulley wheels to pull the line out (it only freely feeds vertically).

I don't have reefing winch- just my hands.

I would love to remove these things but they are the only stops for the line-

Thanks guys

Brad
Old 04-27-2009

GentleBreeze is on a distinguished road
Reefing Lines

Brad,
Have the same problem on my Tayana. I like the idea of the velcro. I have thought of using a "bungee" cord around the boom and cleat handles to hold them up so the lines will be more free to feed up with the sail, but I think the velcro may be a better solution.
Old 04-27-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I'd be willing to bet if you went to 1/4" or smaller line, the issue would go away! I use 3/16" line on my 30' boat, and I do not have issues with the built in jam cleats causing issues. Then again, I have my outhaul, and both reef lines running to the back top of the cabin. Great for quick reefs.
I have one line for the back clew area, and then use the cunning ham hook to do the tack end. Granted it requires someone to run forward and move the cunning ham hook, but once this is done, the main reefs in seconds, and I do not need two more lines for the tack to hold it down, or use the boom hooks or equal.
In the pic below, the left three lines coming back in the triple clutch, two white for reefs, and a smaller purple for the outhaul are all the size I use.

marty

Last edited by blt2ski; 04-27-2009 at 11:01 PM. Reason: add pic