Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-28-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
If it is a crack in the fiberglass, it will need a proper repair. That meens hauling the boat, grinding out the bad spot, and then laying in multiple layers of glass to restore the hull thickness and strength. Just drilling holes and injecting epoxy is NOT the way to fix something like this below the waterline.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
If it is a crack in the fiberglass, it will need a proper repair. That meens hauling the boat, grinding out the bad spot, and then laying in multiple layers of glass to restore the hull thickness and strength. Just drilling holes and injecting epoxy is NOT the way to fix something like this below the waterline.

I agree - I am just looking to properly diagnose what is wrong before I do haul the boat and spend weeks on the hard making a repair.
Old 04-28-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235 View Post
Also what is surrounding the shaft log? Meaning in the part of the boat you can't see from the prop to where it enters the cabin near the stuffing box? Is it hollow? is it fiberglass? I'm trying to figure out that if water is getting outside the shaft log, what it might be damaging
I suspect that what you have is a fiberglass tube that is glassed into the hull. Since you don't have a strut, the cutless bearing is installed in the aft end of the tube. I am sure this all solid fiberglass in this area.
Old 04-28-2009
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
Hey Dog

Would you happen to know the difference between a tree and a boat? Or It's just me I thought we were talking boats.
Fair Winds
Dave
Old 04-28-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
I would find it hard to believe that water would run uphill from the shaft to where you are indicating the leak. Are you sure the clamps are holding tight on the exhaust hose? Is the exhaust hose above waterline there? I doubt it considering the height over the shaft. So if the hose is under water, perhaps some pressure builds up when running and then goes away when shut down. Try tightening the clamps, or better, get 2 very good new ones to tighten down the hose. Is there signs of aging of the hose? Could be cracked.
Old 04-29-2009
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
You may have crevis corrosion in the welds on your water lift muffler if it's stainless or a crack in the exhaust hose at some point aft of the muffler, particularly if the hose is very old. As a hose ages, cracks tend to form around the circumference, eventually exposing the wire reinforcing to the air which further weakens the hose. We discoverd the source of a mysterious leak--such a crack in our own exhaust hose--during a cruise to Key West last year. One simple way to check is to soak a small piece of spong in food coloring and place it in the filter basket where debris is collected in your raw water filter. The coloring agent will leach out and discolor the water which will be detectable on a white paper towel. (Whether that is the source or not, don't forget to remove the sponge!)

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-29-2009

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions so far. I actually took the muffler off and disconnected all the hoses and filled the muffler with water over the galley sink to see if it leaked anywhere, epecially from the bottom but it didn't leak at all. Also the hoses all connect from the top of the muffler so if they were leaking I would be able to see it. When I re-installed the muffler I dried and cleaned the whole unit as well as the area where it screws into.

When I ran the boat again the spray came back from the same spot but the muffler and hoses were totally dry so I'm pretty sure I can rule out the muffler. I just can't think of anything else it could be though? I think I am going to try drilling a very small hole into this area just to the right or left of where the shaft log is and see if water starts coming out or to see what is behind there. I know it is not the exterior hull or bottom of the boat as that is much lower. Other than this I can't think of anything else to try?
Old 04-29-2009

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
Ok, so here is my GUESS. I think that your cutlass bearing housing, is leaking around it's perimeter, where it exits the hull. If it were mine, and after reviewing the other suggestions, and ideas, and it still seemed plausible, I would haul the boat, pull the shaft (into the boat), make an airtight plug and insert it into the stuffing box inside. I would get some butyl tape, and tape an area off completely surrounding the cutlass bearing area 2-3' cover with poly so you have an airtight bag, and insert a vacuum source. check and halt any air leaks. Now look for water being pulled OUT of the hull. My 2 cents thinks its going to be leaking on the outer perimeter of the cutlass bearing. For a good vacuum source, go to your local refrigerator repairman, and ask him for a refrigerator compressor. These will draw a nice vacuum to about -25psi. Do not think you can use your own, by cutting it out of your old fridge, Let a professional empty and dispose of the refrigerant. Good luck.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnblu View Post
Ok, so here is my GUESS. I think that your cutlass bearing housing, is leaking around it's perimeter, where it exits the hull. If it were mine, and after reviewing the other suggestions, and ideas, and it still seemed plausible, I would haul the boat, pull the shaft (into the boat), make an airtight plug and insert it into the stuffing box inside. I would get some butyl tape, and tape an area off completely surrounding the cutlass bearing area 2-3' cover with poly so you have an airtight bag, and insert a vacuum source. check and halt any air leaks. Now look for water being pulled OUT of the hull. My 2 cents thinks its going to be leaking on the outer perimeter of the cutlass bearing. For a good vacuum source, go to your local refrigerator repairman, and ask him for a refrigerator compressor. These will draw a nice vacuum to about -25psi. Do not think you can use your own, by cutting it out of your old fridge, Let a professional empty and dispose of the refrigerant. Good luck.
Say you are right and this is the problem, how severe is it? I just had the boat hauled last month and put back in before the spring rush, bottom cleaned and painted, also besides all the regular maintenance, I got hit with rigging failure and am spending mucho dinero replacing all of that. To be 100% honest I do not have any money left as I just spent over $10k last month on repairs to the boat. To spend another $1500 to $2000 to haul the boat, plus not to mention just about every single hauler is slammed busy putting boats in and does not have room until June to take boats out, is not something I am anxious to do.

I am not the type of person to let problems go so this is absolutely killing me and I know boats cost money so I am not trying to cheap out by saying I am too cheap or lazy to have it hauled. I am just trying to think of any other way to find out 100% what the problem is before I haul it or take action.
Old 04-29-2009

Also if it is the permimeter of the cutlass bearing leaking, is there anyway to apply some 5200 or other water proof sealant while the boat is in the water to test that theory?