Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-28-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious, what yard was it???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2009

ghughes20 is on a distinguished road
Thank you....

for the kind words of sympathy and advice. To answer a few questions, the boat was under salt water for approximately 12 - 18 hours.

Regarding value, I see that similarly equiped boats are on the market for between 80 - 110. The lower range appear to be boats with many more hours on them, and the more expensive boats are a little newer. My boat was well equiped (Tall Rig, AC, Radar/Chart Plotter (new in '08), wind, depth, speed, canvas package, windlass, low hours, winter cover, etc.). What I don't know is what the spread is on asking price of these boats vs what they actually sell for. If I had my boat on the market, pre sinking, I would guess we'd list her for around 100k, and hope to get 90k.

I think the best for me, and what get's me back on the water as quickly as possible, is for the boat to be totaled and I go buy another. The other option, which I'm afraid of, is that the insurance company says the boat can be fixed. I have to wait X weeks for the repairs to be completed, with the possibility of missing the sailing season altogether. In addition, I'd have to worry about future problems and resale.
Old 04-28-2009

ghughes20 is on a distinguished road
Sailing dog

I'd rather not post the name of the yard. You can send me a private message and I will reply.
Old 04-28-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I am going to assume that you own insurance co. is involved also. If not give them a call. As far as the total goes! In my boat policy, I had to be with in 80% of value in order to have my boat totaled. In your case that would be $80,000. That my friend, can pay for lots of repairs. Especially that you don't have structural problems.

In my case I had a buyer that made a offer on my boat "as is" and then I could have taken the Insurance money and bought a different boat. However, most of my damage was cosmetic and lots of man hours. I would have not broke even.

Decreased sale value is something I don't think the insurance co. will talk to you about (they would not talk to me about it) as they feel it once the boat is fixed it is as good as new and how do you put a figure on it. Are you selling next year or 10 years from now and it would depend on the buyer also.

Never Forgotten

Old 04-28-2009

tweitz is on a distinguished road
No great advice, but condolences -- I am sure you were looking forward to the season, and there is an attachment to a boat that can't be expressed in monetary terms.
Old 04-28-2009

davesailski is on a distinguished road
Strainer?

Sorry to hear about your difficulties, can you tolorate a newbie question, what is a strainer? I had my launch done around the same time, I had closed the seacocks for my head intake and engine intake. While I didn't have any problems, I was not aware of a "strainer" that I should have closed?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Greg,

I read and responded to your post on the C36IA list. Really sorry you are going through this but I agree the best thing that could happen would be for you to get a check and the insurance company take your boat. If they don't total it, I think you can pretty well write off this season. In this market your money may go a good deal further than when when you bought your current boat. Since your boat sounds like she was in good shape prior to the sinking and she wasn't submerged for long she could be a good project for someone, but hopefully it will be someone that takes the project on knowingly and not you having it handed to you by an incompetent yard worker.

As I mentioned in my response to you on the C36 list, I was very nearly in the exact same situation despite several discussions with my boat yard requesting they carefully check my through hulls since I had done some work on one over the winter. The one I worked on didn't leak, but the yard didn't check the the AC through hull, and it was fortunately left closed. When I opened it, the boat started flooding through the unsecured strainer. Its just pure luck the through hull they overlooked was closed otherwise my boat could have gone to the bottom as well.

Perhaps the instruction here is delay your launch until you can be on the boat, even if it means loosing a week or two on the water.
Old 04-28-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesailski View Post
Sorry to hear about your difficulties, can you tolorate a newbie question, what is a strainer? I had my launch done around the same time, I had closed the seacocks for my head intake and engine intake. While I didn't have any problems, I was not aware of a "strainer" that I should have closed?

Thanks
A strainer is an inline device to catch any debris that enters through a through hull. They don't open or close like a through hull, but do have an opening, so you can clean the screen periodically. With the through hull closed, you can open the strainer and clean it with no leak. Open the strainer with the through hull open and its just like taking the hose off the through hull.

I don't know what other systems they might be installed on, but its common to have them on the AC system, so you don't get jellyfish or what not in the AC system.
Old 04-28-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I would concur with the advice to get out of the boat as a total loss and move on. With any luck you could have a new boat and be sailing by June, otherwise it's maybe next year and the sunk boat will never, ever be right again.

I also say to get a lawyer on this job, who can help you press for a total loss and for establishing full value of the boat...realize that an insurance company calling the boat a total loss, then moves onto the question of compensation...here, the yard, their insurance company and your own insurance company, depending on what end's up in whose lap, will all push to pay minimum dollar. I believe the bottom number with your own company would be the "insured value", depending on when you put the insurance in place you may or may not like that number. If you have receipts for recent work, new sails, etc., you may be able to get them grossed up into the value...this is where I'd look for th lawyer to earn his/her keep, is not in fault-finding but in how to work the system to get the most money into your pocket, which is sadly the only care you now have regarding your lovely boat.

PS - when i had my first boat many years ago, I waited impatiently for the yard to launch her...they had some bad weather..people out sick...they promised to call me when she went in. Anyway on the day of the third postponement I decided to take a friend down to the yard to see my little dream, a diamond I had crafted via 20-30 days of labor from a tattered hulk. Anyway, when we got to the yard at 8pm, my cradle was empty, the boat was down at the end of the pier, everyone was gone, and I could see she was floating a foot below the waterline. When I got onboard I found water pouring in through a split under a bend in the head overboard hose. If I had not happened to make that trip, I would have ended up with the same call as you. Many boatyards are owned and staffed by people with the IQ of monkeys.
Old 04-28-2009

nightowle is on a distinguished road
I would second the opinion of having a lawyer involved. Yes, the sharks get a bad rap, but sadly insurance companies only sit up and take notice when they are dealing with an attorney. If your boat is totaled and you get a decently negotiated settlement, there's a chance you can make an offer to purchase it back for salvage value and then perform the repairs on your own dime.
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.