Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-28-2009
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Aluminum vs. Stainless cleats

I've been doing some research on whether my current aluminum deck cleats are sufficiently strong or whether I should swap them out for stainless. I've read a few references in Pardey and Leonard but nothing definitive. I've scanned online but it's a needle in a haystack.

My current aluminum cleats are original to Aeolus and are in great shape. They are adequately sized with good backing plates and I've removed and rebedded them all over the past year. As I walk the docks in Friday Harbor I see many, if not most, sailboats have aluminum cleats. However, I know many standard products and installs are crap, so I don't trust that too much.

Although used essentially for dock lines right now, they are also used for my 3 strand anchor snubber line at the bow and for towing dinghies in calm waters and such.

I'm interested in hearing from someone who is knowledgeable about cleat failure or metallurgy of these two options. Has anyone had any experiences with the cleat itself breaking? I know people pull them out of decks due to poor installation, but that's not my concern.

I appreciate any wisdom on this subject.

Also just finished the removal and complete servicing and re-installation of my Edson steering system. Oh joy. Know it inside and out now, and that she is solid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
While metallurgy isn't my area of expertise, I do know that aluminum is far more prone to fatigue related failure than stainless steel... so that would be one serious point in favor of stainless steel. Aluminum is also much weaker, which is a second point. Third, aluminum is more susceptible to corrosion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-29-2009
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Thanks sailingdog, that all makes sense and is good info. I'm not too surprised there have been few responses to this question because it is a bit esoteric. Not many people have experience with failing cleats or conditions that would stress them enough to break.

Part of my interest in this is just this question. On boats, as elsewhere, there is always a stronger way to do something, but that is not always the best way. It is an easy trap to seek strength at all costs, given the rational fear of calamity, and yet we don't use 1 inch wire on our rigging because you can't tension it properly. We don't build hulls that are 2 inch thick solid glass in all places. We make trade offs with weight and expense that will stand up to what is asked of them.

This is the heart of my question about aluminum cleats. I've never seen or heard of one failing, though there is no doubt that stainless has superior qualities. Is it situation where they are used extensively on production boats because they are plenty strong enough and lighter, or for some other reason. Cost-wise they are about the same as stainless, so that doesn't seem to be the driver here.

Remain curious on this point, and may just have to live with it!!

Old 04-29-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
A greater concern is size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwindrope View Post
Thanks sailingdog, that all makes sense and is good info. I'm not too surprised there have been few responses to this question because it is a bit esoteric. Not many people have experience with failing cleats or conditions that would stress them enough to break.

Part of my interest in this is just this question. On boats, as elsewhere, there is always a stronger way to do something, but that is not always the best way. It is an easy trap to seek strength at all costs, given the rational fear of calamity, and yet we don't use 1 inch wire on our rigging because you can't tension it properly. We don't build hulls that are 2 inch thick solid glass in all places. We make trade offs with weight and expense that will stand up to what is asked of them.

This is the heart of my question about aluminum cleats. I've never seen or heard of one failing, though there is no doubt that stainless has superior qualities. Is it situation where they are used extensively on production boats because they are plenty strong enough and lighter, or for some other reason. Cost-wise they are about the same as stainless, so that doesn't seem to be the driver here.

Remain curious on this point, and may just have to live with it!!
(with an opener like that someone will take this of-topic)

What I see is cleats that are too small for the line. We all see huge dock lines instead of good chafing gear, the rope stuffed around the cleat the best it can be stuffed. The same for over-sized snubbers and bridles. All of the load, really, should be down low on the first 2 passes, and so for the cleat to fail, either the mounting was poor or it was so undersized the load was on the horns. There really should be no loads on the horns, and so breakage is very rare.

The same thing happens when 2 lines are placed on the same cleat.

I might go bigger rather than SS. However, I don't know what you have.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 04-29-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, Cleats should be sized so they are about 16x the diameter of the normal docklines used on them in length. If you use 1/2" docklines, the cleats should be 8" at a minimum.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-29-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
bwind- like you I have not seen aluminum cleats fail in normal use. Most all are an alloy, and therefore much stronger than "aluminum". Unless the cleats on your boat are way undersized, or severely corroded, I would seriously doubt that changing to ss would accomplish much more than emptying your wallet (just my 2 cents).
If you get by Blakely stop in and say hi.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 04-29-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
My boat has aluminium cleats that are original to her - i.e. 37 years old. I had them all rebedded and reinstalled, and as part of that process - inspected. Of the 6 that are there, one failed - a side of fastener hole had a microscopic crack in it and I was able to break it off. Essentially if the integrity of metal is breached, it will admit water, go through a freeze-thaw cycle and fail completely. If not - it seems to do fine.

So, personally, I inspected the cleats then and keep re-inspecting them occasionally so that if I find another crack - it's time to replace.

Incidentally a new cleat I used as a replacement is aluminum too.

One thing to consider is how the cleats are installed. For example, mine have a hole pattern that does not match anything currently sold. So, if I were to replace them - I'd have to balance potential improvements of new cleats with the weakening of the deck (due to more holes drilled in same general area). I went for less holes
Old 04-29-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Ditto for the above. I seen far more cleats ripped out than broken. Of the broken cleats I have seen 90% of those were the galvanized dock cleats and not boat cleats.

Never Forgotten

Old 04-29-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Several years ago, the boat that was across the pier from me had an aluminum bow cleat fail in a hurricane (storm was down to 70-80 mph when it hit us.). The boat dropped down onto a piling and was out of commission almost a year having the hull and deck repaired. I should note too that the cleat seemed a bit small to me. But on the basis of this one incident, I wouldn't take too much concern. I've seen lots of other boats with what look like large cast aluminum alloy cleats that held up well. If I had them and they were ample size, I wouldn't run out and exchange them for stainless without a good reason...like evidence of cracks. But I would prefer stainless steel if I had my choice up front.
Old 04-29-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
What's wrong with Nylon?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.