Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-28-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
main sail mods?

I'd like to ask some intelligent questions when I visit a sail maker next week.
this is the situation. My main blew out finally. I was sold a new in the box main from a C28 and it fits the boom perfectly, has 4 full battens 10ft, 8ft, 6ft and 3 ft. The sail is nice! the only thing is, it's shorter then the original. I'd like to have it modified to the height of the old sail. I've already been told it would be very expensive. I wonder. I do like the sail and at the price I'm getting it for I could spend another 3-400 bucks and still come out cheaper then a custom made new main. So could some of sail experts chime in here?
thanks in advance!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I'd like to ask some intelligent questions when I visit a sail maker next week.
this is the situation. My main blew out finally. I was sold a new in the box main from a C28 and it fits the boom perfectly, has 4 full battens 10ft, 8ft, 6ft and 3 ft. The sail is nice! the only thing is, it's shorter then the original. I'd like to have it modified to the height of the old sail. I've already been told it would be very expensive. I wonder. I do like the sail and at the price I'm getting it for I could spend another 3-400 bucks and still come out cheaper then a custom made new main. So could some of sail experts chime in here?
thanks in advance!
Not really enough info. C28 comes in tall and standard rigs... The shorter and being obviously not the other - I suggest buy a sail that works... nothing any a sail maker can do will do you well financially all things considered.

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 04-28-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
How much shorter? If it's only a foot or less, I'd probably live with it for a while and see if it really is a problem. If it's more than that then you're likely to lose significant performance, and besides it will "look" odd.

I'd bet it will take most or all of your "3-400 bucks" to modify the sail to fit - I'd think the best way would be to add to the foot, which is a busy work-intensive part of the sail. Adding panels in the middle will certainly require moving/modifying the batten pockets, again, a fairly work intensive ($$$) job.

Ultimately, modifications are probably not the best option

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-28-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Denise—

How much shorter is it?? I agree with Faster, if it isn't more than a foot... I wouldn't bother getting it modified without trying it first.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-28-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Oh.. well it's about 2ft short .. It's on my boat and performs quite well too! And no, I don't have the $ for new main to fit my boat as designed.

My boat is for sale.
Old 04-29-2009
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
Go to the sailmaker and ask, but my prediction is it will cost 75% of the price of a new main. I know very little about sails (I am getting a little experience with sailmakers tho), but knowing geometry, they will need to add the 2 feet to the foot, and then modify the leech all the way down, which means modifying the batten pockets. And then there is the sail shape...

How much roach is there? If a lot, and there is a little room on the boom, then maybe the leach can stay as is.

Let us know what the sail maker says.

Eric
Old 04-29-2009

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Two foot short isn't a major issue sail it and enjoy.
What I would do is each time I sail, throw a few bucks into the sail replacement fund.
After a while you'll have the money for a new sail. Then sell that one and start the jib replacement fund.....

I do that with motorcycles, started out with one that was almost perfect for me, put some money away each time I rode, then bought a bike that was a closer match. I just forgot about the 'sell the old' part so I now have four bikes and three boats....

Ken.
Old 04-29-2009

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Two feet short in the “P” dimension is a little short. On your boat it will be like sailing with a permanent reef. I don’t think you would be happy with the performance on most days. Get a quote on the cost to convert into a proper sized main before you buy it. I’m suspecting that in the end it will about the same as a new main. To convert the sail will be problematic. The sail maker will have to remove the lower panel and replace it with two. He will have to add new reef points (you already have a 2nd reef). And re-taper the leach, modifying battens and their pockets. And in the end, you will not have the proper camber and shape in the sail. I fear that it just won’t set as well as your old one. Try quoting around with the web based lofts. They will sell you a ‘stock” sail that will fit your “P” and “E” dimensions. Try companies like Sail Warehouse in Monterrey Ca., Airforce Sails. North even has an on-line, low cost subsidiary. You will get a reasonable sail at a reasonable cost. You won’t get exotic materials, tailoring to your rig or an afternoon or two sailing with your sail maker. Check it out before you try to have something re-cut and sewn so it will fit your boat. Remember, sails can last a long time, do you want to be happy or sad for the long term?
Old 04-29-2009

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Not sure, but I think you're overestimating the performance hit.

Won't lose more than 10sq ft, (using the 2ft short figure) if it works, use it. (evidenced by her "It's on my boat and performs quite well too!" statement above)

the only time a short sail is a problem is if you're racing, otherwise, if you want to go out and enjoy an afternoon sail, it's no problem at all.

Ken.
Old 04-29-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
On our previous I tore the main right along the foot up to about 18" from the boom. Could not afford new sail so sailmaker chopped out the bad bit and I sailed like that for quite some few years.

Funny thing was that because the cut sail was a better shape than the old she actually sailed better than before.

OTOH...two feet is getting pretty close to being too much IMHO..

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.