Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-28-2009

BigMoe is on a distinguished road
Smile Sikkens-Cetol Marine Natural Teak?

Hello Fellow Sailors:

Has anyone ever used Cetol Natural Teak on their deck? I use it on the rails and the cockpit seats every year. This new boat has a teak deck and I am contemplating using it as I hate the gray color of teak. I contacted Sikkens and they said it would be fine on the deck as long as I did not use the high gloss.

Anyone ever tried it?

Big Moe
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
IMO...NO...do not use it on the deck!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 04-28-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
I've never heard of anyone using it on their decks. Even the low gloss would most likely be too slick when wet.
Old 04-28-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm... do you really want to make that much work for yourself???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-28-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I used it. It works just like classic Cetol but, honestly, I didn't see much difference in color between this one and Classic (though I used it over classic so may be that's one reason ).

It is exactly as easy to use as regular cetol, and on my boat I have a few large flooring areas painted that way (engine bay doors which are also my cockpit floor). Painted teak is not all that slick (I don't slide on it anyway).

Still, I don't know that I'd use it on an entire teak deck. Then again - it's better then letting teak weather until you have nothing left (and then rebuilding an entire deck ).
Old 04-28-2009

CaptParrothead is on a distinguished road
I used it on the deck of my neighbors Lake Union power boat. It looks great as the natural teak color is not as orange as cetol or cetol light. One issue is that it's a bit slick when wet, not a huge problem for a slipped power boat but you may have issue with it.
Old 04-28-2009

BOLTER33 is on a distinguished road
I use varnish on rails ,but "Tropical "teak oil in Cockpit and Transom Stairs. I'ts not slippery and easily applied.
Old 04-28-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Natural Teak + Gloss is great on trim but NEVER use any Cetol Product or for that matter ANY coating on teak decks. If you MUST use something...just clean them (crosswise brushing with boat soap...not WITH the grain) and apply some teak oil.
Old 04-29-2009
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down No Way Jose!!!

Moe--

Don't even think about it. You'll ruin the deck and turn it into a skating rink when it's wet. I happen to love Cetol Natural Teak and we use it for grab-rails, our traveler horse, the trim around the companionway, drop-boards, et al but never, ever, on a deck. It will eventually need to be stripped off and in so doing the caulking between the planks will be ruined. A neighbor of ours ignored these warnings a few years ago and now profoundly regrets it. His best quote for replacing his teak is upwards of $50G (USD). If you can't stand the "gray", you can use:

We use this aboard our boat and we are very frequently complimented on our teak decking (in our cockpit). It is not inexpensive, however, and, it does have to be redone at roughly 4-6 month intervals, but doing so is not difficult, just time consuming.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-29-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
Moe If I recall correctly the teak on your 49 is only on the cockpit sole, not the entire deck. I'd definately stay away from anything like Cetol or Varnish as they're both slippery when wet. Some folks have recommended teak oil. Another option is a water based product called Teak Guard. Easy to apply, looks good, won't stain gel coat, not slippery and lasts all season up here in the Mid Atlantic region. Just google it and you should find a couple of sources for it.
Mike