Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-29-2009

svey is on a distinguished road
Rope traveler for O'Day 23

I can't see how I can install a solid mainsail traveler tracks on my boat because the stern is notch to let the tiller in the boat.

At the moment, I've attached 2 small blocks to each of the backstay plates, I run a line between them in a loop with long bitter end attach to cleats. The fiddle block is attached to that line. To move the fiddle block location, I have to undo the line from both cleat, adjust the position, recleat, all that while holding the tiller and watching fellow boaters.

The system is flexible and acts like a shock absorber (is that slowing me down) when a gust hits and takes to long to set for practical single handling.

I don't see myself as much of a racer but I don't like to be slow.

Is there a way I could improve on the system? For the flex, I could put a Vectra line?

Tx for you help,

Yves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You could use a line that has less stretch than what you have.

The other option I personally would look at, altho more expensive. Harken has a tall main sheet track that will span area's like the hole for your tiller. You might be able to run a 3-5' track on top of the transom, put an actual traveler along with your main sheet to what I will assume untill told different would be the back of you boom. This will allow you a bit more adjustment for trimming the main more to center, possibly flattening it more than you can now in heavier winds etc.

Initial to see if it works better, do the less stretchy line, along with not having it loop up from the transom if you can, then look into a tracked main sheet/carr system.

Marty
Old 04-29-2009
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Marty--

Your suggestion vis-a-vis the Harken "High Beam" track is a good one. Unfortunately, however, the ****-pit combing on the O'Day 23 is such that a traveler there may not prove very effective because of the push-put rails. At the point Svey needs to ease the traveler to leeward, the lee push-pit rail will block the lead of the main-sheet. If the push-pit of the boat were sturdy enough he could mount a traveler along the aft rail but, truthfully, I don't think that's the case without a fare amount of reinforcement.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-29-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Well, being as I do not know the deck arraingment of the ODAY, I swag'd! at least what I thought might work. But if as you say, things are in the way........oh well.

I guess he is down to the less stretchy line then?!?!?!

OR>>>>>

Could on take a "2x4" as an example, not first choice of wood mind you, put it ahead of the transom some, then put an appropriate tacked traveler/carr that would not interfere with the pushpit rail?

OR, could you make it more mid boom, and put a track just behind the cabin? A fellow at my marina took off a cabin top and did just this, with a piece of mahogany with a track on top as I recall.

My Jeanneau is just behind the cabin at the 8-9' of the 10' boom mark. But Mine is designed this way.

Not saying any and all the above will work. But some thoughts and ways to solve issue.

marty
Old 04-30-2009

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
I set up a very crude rope traveler for my mizzen that is basically just a series of knots between the uprights of my dingy davits because the forces on that little sail are pretty light. But as I was reading through the other posts I came up with something that might work for you.
With a Block and a Cam Cleat with fairlead or just the metal 'eye strap' to contain the line on each side/cockpit combing you could move the mainsheet attachment point to your traveler line from side to side. Just as with a rigid traveler you would have to uncleat one side to pull it to the other but it would work. You could simply knot the mainsheet attachment to the traveler line. You could have it continuous but I think just having the extra line needed for movement on each side would work fine. I hope that made some sense because I can't draw and post a picture You would basically end up with a non-purchase gaining soft version of a standard traveler.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

Last edited by christyleigh; 04-30-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-30-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Personally, I'd try to make the traveler track work. It really makes a difference in mainsail trim. Mine is mid cockpit showing the hi-beam track recessed into the seats. Others have moved it infront of the companionway. Having the traveler at the transom doesn't quite give you as much adjustment as mid-boom, but its better than no traveler.

Do you have a picture of your current set up?
The dood below is not me. Just the only crew member smart enough to bring foulies that day, does give you an idea of mid-boom traveler though.
Old 04-30-2009

mstern is on a distinguished road
There have been lots of others who have tried to figure out a way to install a traveller on an Oday 23. Someone here (or maybe it was on Odayowners.com, I forget) did put together a hard system that spanned the tiller head and posted pictures. At one time, I really wanted to install one myself. I thought about beefing up the attachment points on my push pit railings and installing a track on top of the pushpit. I also considered a midboom arrangement with the track installed in front of the companionway. I consulted with reps from Harken, Garhauer and Schaefer, and with my local sailmaker. I walked the docks of my marina for inspiration; I went so far as to see if I could adapt the Catalina 22 traveler to the Oday.

At the end of the day, the conclusion I came to was this: it ain't worth it. Putting a traveler on an Oday 23 would be nice, but its not crucial. My sailmaker especially counseled that installation of a boom vang would allow for sufficient sail shape control to make up for the lack of a traveler. After a little practice, I find that I agree. There are still times (especially when the wind pipes up or dies down a lot) when a traveler would be useful, but for the most part, I sail in conditions where the traveler would be centered anyway. There are some boats I can't imagine without a traveler; but the Oday 23 is not one of them.
Old 04-30-2009

svey is on a distinguished road
A few options

Tx everyone for helping,

I guess knowledge is not always a good thing. When I didn't know about sail shape, I didn't care about it. She would move fine.

I will try and install a line that will flex less as the traveller. I was also toying with the idea of putting a line clutch to attach the fiddle to the traveller. That would be a faster way to move things.

I will also investigate the boom vang as suggested.

I use my sailboat with my family, 3 years old boy, 8 years old girl and wife. I don't want to add line in the cockpit at the moment.

I don't want to invest to much money or time in making that change. My kids are getting bigger and taller, a new boat will be in my future.

Tx

Yves

Last edited by svey; 04-30-2009 at 11:12 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.