Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-29-2009
Banned

LoTech is on a distinguished road
Pelican cases NOT waterproof

I bought two Pelican cases to keep small electronics dry. These have proven to be no better than zip-lock bags at keeping water out. And my Underwater Kinetics so-called "dry boxes" aren't even close to being waterproof.

Does anyone know of a source for a truly submersible storage case with a double o-ring seal similar to those used in underwater torches and camera housings?

The only double o-ring sealed, totally waterproof storage container I can find online is a clear polycarbonate jar that's about 8" x 4" in size - not quite large enough for my handheld gps. Lol.

Submersible Cases for HOBO data loggers

This thing is good to 400'
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Nuts! I use an old ammo can at work for my electronics and sensitive equipment. Never actually tried dipping it in the water though.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 04-30-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Don't know if they live up to their claims, but try looking at Storm cases. bout the same price as pelican.
Old 04-30-2009

14432 is on a distinguished road
FYI........Pelican does not guarantee the smaller cases to be waterproof. Their website pretty clearly defines which ones are/are not as well as explains their definition of waterproof.
Old 04-30-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
They are pointless, then. One might as well double bag or vacuum-pack gear and documents and just put them in a fisherman's tackle box or one of those orange "crash boxes".
Old 04-30-2009
San Juan 26

LittleMissMagic is on a distinguished road
I have a small box manufactured by UK (Underwater Kinetics). It is similar to a pelican box in both price and design. I have tested mine down to a depth of thirty feet with no leaks. The latches are much easier to open as well. I also have a couple of Otter boxes that I've had good luck with, these are cheaper but not as rugged in IMHO.
Old 04-30-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
The 1120 case says "1 meter submersion for 30 minutes" (IP67 standard). What is non waterproof about it?

What particular pelican case are you having problems with?
Old 04-30-2009

14432 is on a distinguished road
It seems that the smalller cases (i.e. the ones in various shapes/sizes with clear tops) are more for cell phones & PDA's at the beach, pool, etc. They're definitely sand proof and I've never had mine leak at all - even submerged. But again, they're not guaranteed. They certainly serve a purpose.
Old 04-30-2009

adru is on a distinguished road
You might try Aquapac, I have used one to store my cellphone in that has gotten wet many times with no leaks. When I ordered the case several years ago it shipped directly from the UK fairly quickly. I see they now have an office in the US. I believe almost all their products are soft cases. This comes in handy for my cellphone as I don't have to remove it from the case to use it. Go to the questions page to get info on their 100% waterproof claim.
Aquapac | 100% Waterproof | USA
"Never pray for an easier life - pray to be a stronger person! Never pray for tasks equal to your power - pray for power equal to your tasks. Then doing your work will be no miracle - you will be the miracle." Phillips Brooks
Old 04-30-2009

FishFinder is on a distinguished road
I've used Pelican cases for a while now for storing video/photo/computer gear, they are pretty bomb-proof. Never had anything inside damaged (even had one case fall out of a moving car onto the road!). As far as being waterproof, I was watching the making of "Deadliest Catch," and the camera guys on the fishing boats packed their shot tapes into Pelican cases and threw them over the side -- into the Bearing Sea -- so that the following boats could come by and pick them up, send them back to LA for editing.

Sounds like you just need to get the right Pelican case (or Storm cases which I like too). Like the other poster said the small "micro" ones aren't waterproof (I've always used the bigger black cases). I've also seen big Nalgene bottles used to store small things.

Last edited by FishFinder; 04-30-2009 at 09:59 PM.