Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-30-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Mainsheet line and tackle.

Boat is 25', mid-boom sheeting with a sail area of about 170sq ft.

I'm looking to replace my mainsheet (line), and eventually the tackle that goes with it. I'm not sure what it currently has for line, but its getting old. Still comfortable and usable, but it doesn't run fast enough when dumping in light air. I also have the original Harken fiddle blocks for a 4:1 purchase (probably not helping with the friction).

I usually have no trouble adjusting the 4:1, but have thought about a fine trim addition. Maybe a cascade to give me 8:1. I've seen other merits pull the boom down below horizontal to get the leech closed, and mine is no different. Problem with this, is the big fiddle blocks don't leave much room for an additional purchase. So I'd probably have to go with double blocks to make the switch.

Now for solutions, I'm currently trying to get weight out of the stern (who isn't) and this would give me an opportunity to lighten up the tackle. Along with replacing the line with new 3/8" this should solve my slow dump issue (that sounds like a medical problem...). Any suggestions on what blocks to use? I like the Harken Carbo blocks (light) but not sure what line I should use. I'm hoping to get one that

Doesn't stretch
runs fast
has great grip
isn't stiff
doesn't absorb water
easy to splice

Please let me know any suggestions you might have. Also, let me know if you have a "fine trim" on your main and how much you use it. Feel free to tell me just to "man up" and stick with the 4:1 as well. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well

Man up its a 25' boat

We just got the Harken 4 or 8:1 fine/course on a 35' boat and the amount of line gets out of control in the cockpit your adding a LOT of line for every extra 1 on this one it is and extra 40 to 60 feet over the old 6:1

You pull both for 4:1 or one for 8:1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 04-30-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
A separate fine tune tackle can also work, if it is placed on the boom.

The ones that try to put all of this into one tackle are a mess to operate, I think.

WildJibe Articles & Info

Click on "more duce coupe" to see the araingment. He has a rather high aspect rig, so his needs are different, even though his boat wieghs less. He has a 7/21 set-up. You might want a 3/9 (must odd number).

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 04-30-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
Well

Man up its a 25' boat
That's what I was thinking. I'm hoping with the new blocks and line I'll be able to reduce some friction to make it a little easier (one arming it). Any suggestion on line?
Old 04-30-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Well, I have a 26' boat with 170 sq. ft. main, soon to be a 200 sq.ft. I use 7/16 polyester line and it is comfortable enough on my hands. One thing I did change was the fiddle blocks, I replaced my cheaper ones with Garhauer bearing blocks, the bearings reduced the friction substantially.
Someone upgraded to a 5:1 rig by adding a U shackle to the fiddle block on the boom so that the sheet could be terminated there, and attaching a lightweight Harken carbo block to the becket on the lower fiddle block where the mainsheet had originally been tied. Apparently the 5:1 rig may result in a 20% decrease in the effort required to sheet in the mainsail. Something else to try.
Old 04-30-2009

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
The Harken Web site and catalog have some really good guides, and the technical staff was really helpful when I upgraded the mainsheet system on our boat.
Old 04-30-2009
Not just a member

motovationcycles is on a distinguished road
Mainsheet

[Trevor,
I just put one of these on my boat it is the same set-up it came from Holland when new. It is a boom vang but works great 2 speed. They are on sale at Gerhauer. I used 3/8" Sta -set.
IMG]http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=50[/IMG]
Two Speed Vangs
30-2 SP - Stainless Steel Lite Blocks length: width:
weight: shackle:
*Please note: The price below reflects the 20% sale price. Original price is $196.94 2 Speed: 3 to 1 or 6 to 1 Safe working load is 2000 lb. Line NOT included.

$157.56

Dan
"Wind Wing"
Piewiet 850 / Dutch Flyer 28
Solomons, MD
Chesapeake Bay

"For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar with the breeze."

Richard Bode
-- from First You Have to Row a Little Boat
Old 04-30-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I'd echo the get new ball bearing blocks with a cam cleat ont he bottom fiddle. The if this is not enough, add a micro 4-1 on the end part, this gives you a 16-1. I have this on my 195# main, and it works well.

Marty
Old 04-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Garhauer 30 series block is probably overkill for a boat the size of the OP's.

I'd go with the 57mm Air Carbo blocks from Harken instead.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 04-30-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2009
Not just a member

motovationcycles is on a distinguished road
blocks

SD,
The 30's from Garhauer are not much bigger.

Garhauer 30 Series
Maximum line size 1/2”
Sheave diameter 2-5/8”
Safe working load 2,000 lbs.
On sale now for $157.55 for both blocks

Harken
2617 57mm Carbo Triple with Cam $176.10
Sheave dia. (in) 2 1/4
Sheave dia. (in) 2 1/4
Max. working load (lb) 1500

2605 57 mm Carbo Triple with Becket $121.80
same specs.

Harken both blocks $297.90
Garhauer both blocks $157.55

I liked the Harkens better, but not twice as much as the Garhauer. There are lots of other things I can spend the savings on. My boat is always looking for me to buy it something. It's worse than my daughter.

Dan
"Wind Wing"
Piewiet 850 / Dutch Flyer 28
Solomons, MD
Chesapeake Bay

"For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar with the breeze."

Richard Bode
-- from First You Have to Row a Little Boat