marine a/c water pump size?? - SailNet Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-30-2009 Thread Starter
marine a/c water pump size??

hello all, While I was cleaning boat nooks and crannys out preparing for some coastal cruising this summer, I came upon an Eastern marine 6500 btu a/c unit. Found it under the v berth behind the water heater unit. Bout had a cow from excitement As i have been pricing a/c units lately. 1200-1500 bucks. well took it home hooked the water hose to in plugged it in and BRRRRRRR blowing good cold air.. We can sure use it in August on the south gulf coast.. Already has the intake thru hull for pcooling pump, and a discharge sea **** is readily available. as far as the coil condensation, Will probably just run it to the bilge . Bilge pump can pump out as needed. Question is.. It didnt have a shurflo, etc. type water pump in boat. So what size GPM should I use for a/c unit?? 320 600 900 or?????? For cooling condensor??? any help always appriciated.. It is a Eastern Marine 6500 BTU cannot find info on that model. Think Eastern went out of biz..
Mark and Karen
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 Old 04-30-2009
Look up Depco pump. They will know what you need and take good care of you

Depco Pump Company
post #3 of 4 Old 05-01-2009
Capacity is not critical. 300gph (or higher) should be fine. Don't run it to the bilge!! That's a lot of water and if you leave the AC running and leave the boat for a period the bilge pump malfunctions, your boat will fill pretty quickly. Note that most AC pumps are 110VAC, not 12VDC since they are used only in a slip on shore power.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-01-2009 Thread Starter
Hey there Jimscal.. Dont get me wrong. I will run the cooling water thru the hull BUT the condensation pan water drip down to the bilge. The pan water will be very nominal.. Thanks Tractor supply has a pump for about 80 bucks a/c current..

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.