Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-02-2009
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Vitesse473 is on a distinguished road
Transmission Replacement??

So after sailing south from San Francisco to La Paz, MX and then back to San Diego, I've just learned that my transmission may need to be replaced. Before committing to the $5,000 project, I thought I'd take a moment to gather some opinions.

Symptoms are interesting. When moving the throttle handle into forward, I can hear the clunking sound of the transmission engaging. However, upon throttling up, the boat doesn't move. I can grab the shaft as it spins in low rpm and it will stop. I go back to neutral and try again and voila, the transmission engages and off we go. We went all the way from La Paz to San Diego like this (1000 miles). Once engaged, the transmission does not slip out.

Does this sound like a shot transmission?

Volvo Penta TMD22-p with a Volvo transmission MS25L-A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2009

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
i'm not familiar with that tranny, but most are similar. unless you have major internal tranny damage it should be repaired rather than replaced at that high cost. there are a lot of possible reasons for the symptoms that you describe but my guess would be the clutch mechanism since it works okay (without any bad noises?) once it is engaged. it could be something in the clutch piston, the hydraulic pump, the shift mechanism, pressure valves etc. but it sounds like your gears/bearings are okay.

i would get a second opinion, and one given with the tranny opened up to find out what the problem actually is. suspect advice that suggests replacement without determining what the problem actually is. Re and Re costs would be the same regardless and it should only take an hour of labour or so to open it up and find out what is wrong.
364 feet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

our life afloat:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-02-2009

amarinesurveyor is on a distinguished road
Did you check the fluid level? Low fluid could cause a problem like that.
Brian
Old 05-03-2009
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffaLives View Post
i would get a second opinion
I have another mechanic going down on Tuesday to give a second opinion. I will happily pay the hourly rate twice to make sure the problem is properly diagnosed.

amarinesurveyor - Yes, I checked fluid levels. I wish that were the issue.
Old 05-03-2009
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Check engagement arm adjustment

I might also check the cable adjustment. That clunking sound you hear on engagement is reassuring, but I know with my Hurth transmission that they are pretty sensitive to the travel of the arm that engages the clutch. If the travel is not adjusted correctly, then the clutch isn't smashed together tightly enough for the tranny to work. The cable could be out of adjustment just enough to allow it to make a clunking sound like it is engaging, but not so much to fully smash the clutch plates together.

Just a thought. After eliminating fluid levels as the culprit, and if you eliminate the adjustment of the engagement arms, then I agree with the idea of seeing what a rebuild would cost. The problem is almost certainly a clutch problem if once it is in gear it runs fine. There is really not much more to a tranny than the gears and the clutch. If it ain't one, it's the other.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 05-03-2009

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
Can you disconnect the control cable from the transmission gear selection arm. If so, try putting it forward manually at the transmission lever. That would eliminate any problems with the cable.
1976 #552
Old 05-03-2009
Wannabe Sailing Bum

yes, we removed the cable entirely and were manually engaging with the lever. Still exhibited the same issue, so definitely ruled out the cabling.

I appreciate the cable and fluid suggestion. Goes to show members of this board start a diagnoses correctly. I'm beginning to think the first mechanic was looking for some economic stimulus of his own.
Old 05-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitesse473 View Post
I have another mechanic going down on Tuesday to give a second opinion. I will happily pay the hourly rate twice to make sure the problem is properly diagnosed.

i'm not sure if having another mechanic look at it and run it is going to help very much. almost certainly you're going to have to pull the unit to go any further. as has been mentioned here, there isn't much external to work with beyond fluid levels and shift adjustment. you could consider pulling it yourself and taking it to a shop for analysis. few mechanics will guarantee a repair cost without pulling it apart to see what parts are shot and what need replacing.
at the very least the tranny must come out. after that, what they find will determine whether it is better to replace or repair.

another thing - did you check fluid colour? is it dark? does it smell burnt?
364 feet

our life afloat:
Old 05-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitesse473 View Post

i'm not sure if having another mechanic look at it and run it is going to help very much. almost certainly you're going to have to pull the unit to go any further. as has been mentioned here, there isn't much external to work with beyond fluid levels and shift adjustment. you could consider pulling it yourself and taking it to a shop for analysis. few mechanics will guarantee a repair cost without pulling it apart to see what parts are shot and what need replacing. what they find will determine whether it is better to replace or repair.

another thing - did you check fluid colour? is it dark? does it smell burnt? is there any water in it from a heat exchanger? is there a filter that can be replaced? any external fittings that you can stick on a pressure gauge to check pump pressure?

also do you know the proper procedure for checking fluid levels? run engine to operating temps and shut down. immediately have someone check the fluid level.
364 feet

our life afloat:
Old 05-03-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Maybe Normal???

I know this might sound strange----It does to me.

Looking online for your transmission and it's ills I found this--

http://www.maritimsd.no/Customers/msm/documents/Dokumentasjon%20Volvo/D2_serie.pdf

Now I presuppose (ya-all know what is is to assume) that the term "reverse gear" means transmission, than

Page 31 kinna describes your problem and it may just be a normal operation of your "reverse gear".

I don't pretend to understand why the transmission operates this way or it's purpose or how to get into or out of this mode but you might want to check further.

Also on page 63 is a simple one page trouble shooting guide that everyone should have on board.

All in all this complete document is worth reading for the new or novice boat owner even if you don't own a Volvo.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.