Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-04-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
I don't think this would help in this case. The GPS box had no seals. It is ready to be opened and re-closed, so there isn't really anything that it needs to look like new. It is pretty much the same way it was when I got it.

The point is - if the store does not take returns on certain items, they should make that clear. Then customers would make their own decision - whether to buy there or not. Considering how many stores take returns no questions asked - it's not a big deal for a customer (me) at all. Just be honest with me upfront (instead of having a sneaky return policy that says you can return things, whereas really you can't).
If the box has no seals on it and no way of knowing it has been opened or not, then why don't you just return it???? It says right on their website that they take returns on un-opened electronics for up to 10 days. Whats going to let them know it has been opened then if the box is like that? Its one thing if someone buys something, uses it for a week or two and just decides to return it in a crumpled up unsealed box but its another thing if you put your never really been used GPS back in its original packing, close the box and return it.
Old 05-04-2009

In regards to above post - Sorry didn't realize in your previous post that when you called they said someone would go over it and try and tell if it had been powered on or else you would have to pay. Still though if it looks brand new and is in the box exactly how you bought it how would they know?
Old 05-04-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
All my stuff has VOID seals on it right down to a 50 dollar Sirius radio or cheep ass Mio GPS

I do agree there policy is misleading BUT the only place around here that would take back open box stuff is Costco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
All my stuff has VOID seals on it right down to a 50 dollar Sirius radio or cheep ass Mio GPS

I do agree there policy is misleading BUT the only place around here that would take back open box stuff is Costco
Around here from the "brick and mortar" retailers pretty much everyone takes electronics back with few questions (and of course they are opened - who the heck returns things without opening). Best Buy does, and so do all the dept. stores. Online over years I returned things to J&R electronics, B&H, Adorama (I used to do a lot of photography back in the day) and from the more major ones Amazon.com, Newegg and multitude of others. So I am pretty sure that taking returns is, in fact, very common.
Old 05-04-2009
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235 View Post
In regards to above post - Sorry didn't realize in your previous post that when you called they said someone would go over it and try and tell if it had been powered on or else you would have to pay. Still though if it looks brand new and is in the box exactly how you bought it how would they know?

I don't know how "they would know". I don't think lying to a merchant is a good policy. I want to be honest with them. Plus - if I never opened a box - why am I returning it? Why would anyone return something he did not open? Unless it is a mistaken purchase - which sounds very unusual.

As a case in point, about 6 months ago I bought an underwater camera and then a flash system for it (from the same place, I also buy my diving gear from them). Camera worked out fine, but flash just wasn't very good. It was not broken - simply didn't work as well as I thought it would and didn't help my underwater photos at all. I called the merchant and told them about it. I was a week past 30 day return period, and to boot I lost a small gasket that came with it. Well, they let me buy a gasket, add it back into the package, put everything back in place (I still had all the papers, packaging and other stuff) and return for a full refund. Needless to say I appreciate this sort of service and I will be back buying more stuff.

Internet stores really almost have to accept returns in my opinion. If they don't - a buyer is forced to go to a "brick and mortar" store to look at items before buying which is not very fair to those stores, methinks. Penny wise and pound foolish never helped anyone.
Old 05-04-2009

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
I just used a 5" random orbit Porter cable sander, and didn't like it. I vacuumed it off threw it back in the box took it back to the Local tool guy's store, and exchanged it for a brand new Makita. No questions, nuthin! He guarantee's every tool he sells for 90 days. love it or he'll take it back. Break it or wear it out, he doesn't care. Beat that home depot.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
Old 05-04-2009

edstill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnblu View Post
I just used a 5" random orbit Porter cable sander, and didn't like it. I vacuumed it off threw it back in the box took it back to the Local tool guy's store, and exchanged it for a brand new Makita. No questions, nuthin! He guarantee's every tool he sells for 90 days. love it or he'll take it back. Break it or wear it out, he doesn't care. Beat that home depot.
I know a large, national chain of chandleries with the same policy. I don't mind paying a bit extra when I'm buying local (or, at least, employing locals), and getting guarantee's like this.

Movin' on up, to a deluxe apartment in the sky:
s/v Scudder
O'Day 35
Old 05-04-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I certainly sympathize and have had similar problems with electronic return policies but have to say that I have received the best customer service ever from Defender. We recently ordered a new Achilles dinghy from them, amongst a lot of other stuff, and the HP floor had a leak in it. We had at least six calls from Defender apologizing and expediting delivery of a new one even before we shipped the defective one back. Even after we had the new one we had follow up calls to make sure everything was OK. We had done business with them for years, but this was over and above what I would expect. I know you are not slamming them in general, just the return policy on electronics which I was not aware of (thanks for the heads up), but I had to speak up for Defender in general.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 05-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
I don't know how "they would know". I don't think lying to a merchant is a good policy. I want to be honest with them. Plus - if I never opened a box - why am I returning it? Why would anyone return something he did not open? Unless it is a mistaken purchase - which sounds very unusual.

As a case in point, about 6 months ago I bought an underwater camera and then a flash system for it (from the same place, I also buy my diving gear from them). Camera worked out fine, but flash just wasn't very good. It was not broken - simply didn't work as well as I thought it would and didn't help my underwater photos at all. I called the merchant and told them about it. I was a week past 30 day return period, and to boot I lost a small gasket that came with it. Well, they let me buy a gasket, add it back into the package, put everything back in place (I still had all the papers, packaging and other stuff) and return for a full refund. Needless to say I appreciate this sort of service and I will be back buying more stuff.

Internet stores really almost have to accept returns in my opinion. If they don't - a buyer is forced to go to a "brick and mortar" store to look at items before buying which is not very fair to those stores, methinks. Penny wise and pound foolish never helped anyone.
I am not suggesting "lying to a merchant" but thanks for the accusation. I don't know if you personally used your GPS but for an example if I opened my box at home, turned on the GPS and say realized the unit I bought didn't have certain features I needed or did not like the interface or whatever - and then I placed it back in the box exactly how it was (NOT putting new tape on it or anything like that) and returned it - I do not call that "lying to a merchant." It's not like you bought a CD listened to it for hours, then carefully put it back in, deviously re-sealing the seal and tape. Also the box does not have a seal on it. Thats one thing and I am not suggesting trying to re-sealing anything.

Also people return un-used/un-opened electronics all the time and it is not unusual in anyway shape or form. I guess you never got anything for a gift for a birthday or christmas or boat warming present or a holiday or anniversary or any other of hundreds of reasons why you might return something that is un-opened?
Old 05-04-2009
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
I certainly sympathize and have had similar problems with electronic return policies but have to say that I have received the best customer service ever from Defender. We recently ordered a new Achilles dinghy from them, amongst a lot of other stuff, and the HP floor had a leak in it. We had at least six calls from Defender apologizing and expediting delivery of a new one even before we shipped the defective one back. Even after we had the new one we had follow up calls to make sure everything was OK. We had done business with them for years, but this was over and above what I would expect. I know you are not slamming them in general, just the return policy on electronics which I was not aware of (thanks for the heads up), but I had to speak up for Defender in general.
I would in general agree with you. Until today I had nothing but good things to say about them. They came through every time so far. This is why this situation is ever more surprising. Not only is their policy unclear, but people I've spoken to were not at all forthcoming with any help, and the unsolicited "lawyer" comment was just amazing. Defender would be a last place I expected that from.

Note, that when I called and asked to return a GPS they didn't really ask specifically whether it was used and how much. I was told immediately that they don't take electronics back if they were at all opened or tested. That's not what their policy says.

Anyway, may be electronics is just not their primary business - and it's something to keep in mind. But the sneaky and (in my view) dishonest return policy is not really forgivable.

Like I said - I will give them a ($380 worth of) benefit of the doubt for now, but this in my view is a pretty big black mark on what so far, in my experience was a perfect reputation.

If it were a run of the mill shady internet store - I wouldn't even make a peep, I'd just post the GPS on eBay and sell it to someone who likes it.

May be they changed owners or something?