Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-04-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235 View Post
I am not suggesting "lying to a merchant" but thanks for the accusation. I don't know if you personally used your GPS but for an example if I opened my box at home, turned on the GPS and say realized the unit I bought didn't have certain features I needed or did not like the interface or whatever - and then I placed it back in the box exactly how it was (NOT putting new tape on it or anything like that) and returned it - I do not call that "lying to a merchant." It's not like you bought a CD listened to it for hours, then carefully put it back in, deviously re-sealing the seal and tape. Also the box does not have a seal on it. Thats one thing and I am not suggesting trying to re-sealing anything.
I am not accusing you of lying or suggesting to lie. I just think that if I opened a box - I'd rather tell them what I did. I opened it, turned it on, turned it off and put it back. Pardon me if the term I used sounded derogatory - I certainly didn't mean it that way
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2009
Sailing Instructor

SailSolomons is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to SailSolomons
Just because you decided not to keep your perfectly good and serviceable Garmin, doesn't give you the right to slam Defender for upholding their return policy. Defender has one of the best customer service reputations in the industry and it would be wrong to slight their reputation based on your single experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
I am not accusing you of lying or suggesting to lie. I just think that if I opened a box - I'd rather tell them what I did. I opened it, turned it on, turned it off and put it back. Pardon me if the term I used sounded derogatory - I certainly didn't mean it that way
No worries - I was just trying to offer some helping suggestions as I feel for ya being stuck with a $380 GPS you don't want! I have also experienced great things with Defender so I'm sorry to hear about this one.

I actually bought a $200 Jabsco Oil Change pump 1 month ago at the faactory warehous sale weekend. The pump works horribly and leaks oil all over even though it is brand new. Also others have experienced the same problem so I was thinking of calling them and attempting to return it as it just blatenly doesn't work! But after hearing about your experience and how they don't want to take back a virtually brand new GPS in the box, I guess I have asbolutely NO chance of returning a greasy oil covered pump!

Anyway good luck trying to sell the GPS and better luck next time.
Old 05-04-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Bestbuy return policy

14-day return period
We accept returns or exchanges 14 days from the original purchase on computers, monitors, notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras and radar detectors.

Restocking fee
A restocking fee of 15% will be charged on opened notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, radar detectors, GPS navigation and in-car video systems unless defective or prohibited by law. A restocking fee of 25% will be charged on Special Order Products, including appliances unless defective or prohibited by law.

This is the the same HERE at ALL stores except Costco (and they have gotten tougher) for this type of item

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-04-2009
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailSolomons View Post
Just because you decided not to keep your perfectly good and serviceable Garmin, doesn't give you the right to slam Defender for upholding their return policy. Defender has one of the best customer service reputations in the industry and it would be wrong to slight their reputation based on your single experience.
Actually, we discussed this previously on this thread. The policy specifically states that you *can* return items. I'll gladly quote again.

Quote:
"Return Policy:
We want you to be a satisfied customer, and we need your help to maintain our wide selection, name brands, low prices, and large on-hand inventory.

10-Day Returns:
Electronics, software, and electronic charts in their original packaging and ready-to-be-sold condition may be returned within 10 days from receipt for a full refund of merchandise price. "
Perhaps it is me being dense, but I was unable to gather from this statement that I will be unable to return a GPS. Considering how much I buy on the web, I am a reasonably savvy shopper. Perhaps I let my guard down based on past experience with Defender, who knows.

I take offense at your claim that sharing an experience qualifies as "slamming". I shared my positive experience with using Defender on this forum numerous times (. I am sure if you search, you will find at least a few recent threads where I wholeheartedly recommend them as a definitive source (including Buying electronics online electronics). I calls'em like I sees'em.

I am also sure that someone planning to buy an electronics item would be glad to know beforehand what he can expect. Not being able to return an item is an important consideration in making a buying decision.

Last edited by brak; 05-04-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-04-2009
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235 View Post
But after hearing about your experience and how they don't want to take back a virtually brand new GPS in the box, I guess I have asbolutely NO chance of returning a greasy oil covered pump!

Anyway good luck trying to sell the GPS and better luck next time.
I surely hope that this strange policy only refers to electronics. I think you should have better luck with regular items. If not - this would be the end of the Defener I came to know and love for the last 15 years.

A few years back I actually successfully returned a 7' length of hose to Defender, even though in theory cut hose is not returnable. They didn't even ask questions then - just said "ship it back, we'll give you a refund". I bought literally thousands of $ worth of stuff at Defender and never had an issue like this (or an issue at all, actually).

Perhaps they are trying to save money during tough economy? I don't know.
Old 05-04-2009

Or another thought is that maybe the customer service rep you got just wanted to try and bust your balls by being a *****. Even when I try to process orders and returns for customers through the company I work for, which manufactures and sells high end medical equipment costing thousands of dollars, you would be surprised at what gets pushed through and what doesn't just based on the customer service rep punching keys in the system.
Old 05-04-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Over the years, I've bought quite a bit of mechandise from Defender. Most was line, fittings, etc. Electronics wise, I've bought two items from them in the last coupple of years, a handheld VHF and a Windmate 200 anemometer. I, for one, am appreciative that the originating post for this thread was made and there is this discussion. There is no excuse for a retail (and they are retail) merchant not standing behind what he sells. If one buys an item and it does not work out of the box, then the merchant (read to include Defender) should exchange it. If you buy from them, and once inspecting the product, you find that it does not meet your expectations or needs, then the merchant should have in place an exchange/restocking policy. In the future, any place that wants my business on electronics or other goods will have to have such a policy. On the Windmate 200, it didn't (and still doesn't) even come close to reading accurate wind speeds (off by 50% or more). Defender customer service was rude to me, gave me the Windmate importer's phone number, and told me to take it up with them. The importer argued with me that it was ok and that I didn't know what the real wind speed was, therefore, it was me and not the instrument that was off. Eventually, they agreed to take it back and replace it. Months later and lots of phone calls later, I got one in a new blister pack in place of the old one that I had returned to them. It reads the same as before (and may be the same one repackaged...unfortunately I didn't check serial numbers), and is totally worthless. I'm out my money. By the time you add in shipping charges, lots of the "discount mail order" houses really are not that much better than West Marine (did I say that?). And at the local West Marine, I can open the box in the store, look it over, and exchange it (so I've been told ...haven't looked to see what the fine print is however).
Old 05-04-2009

I bought a $350 flexable solar panel from west marine last summer and also bought the $40, 3 year west marine warranty on it. Well the panel never really seemed to work but I had lost the box and insructions and everything that came with it so at the end of the summer I said screw it and accepted the loss. Well just a month ago I had to meet someone and we chose West Marine as the meeting location and I happened to have the solar panel in the back of my car as I was planning on bringing it to the dumpster.

On a whim I figured what the heck, let me at least ask them since I did pay for the warranty...I went in with this beat up looking solar panel which even had some bird crap on it from last season still - no receipt, no box, no instructions or cabels or anything and this thing looked beat up. I told them I had purchased the warranty but lost everything else. To my surpirse they looked it right up off my West advantage card on their computer and graciously took it right back and let me pick out any solar panel on the store up to $350 and if they didn't have one I liked offered to special order and ship it to me! They didn't ask any questions or anything. To me that really shows integrity, plus I like the fact that they are local. If I had purchased that oil changer pump at West Marine that I posted in this thread earlier about, I would have already brought it back, but since it was from Defender, out of state, I don't even feel like going through the hassle of calling cust service and then packaging, etc.
Old 05-04-2009
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
On the Windmate 200, it didn't (and still doesn't) even come close to reading accurate wind speeds (off by 50% or more). Defender customer service was rude to me, gave me the Windmate importer's phone number, and told me to take it up with them. The importer argued with me that it was ok and that I didn't know what the real wind speed was, therefore, it was me and not the instrument that was off. Eventually, they agreed to take it back and replace it. Months later and lots of phone calls later, I got one in a new blister pack in place of the old one that I had returned to them. It reads the same as before (and may be the same one repackaged...unfortunately I didn't check serial numbers), and is totally worthless. I'm out my money. By the time you add in shipping charges, lots of the "discount mail order" houses really are not that much better than West Marine (did I say that?). And at the local West Marine, I can open the box in the store, look it over, and exchange it (so I've been told ...haven't looked to see what the fine print is however).
Funny I bought the Windmate 200 from Defender too, a year or two ago. The device is terrible - the numbers it shows have absolutely nothing to do with actual wind, it is basically a useless paperweight But I didn't think of returning it back in the day. May be I could have learned my lesson on a cheaper item.