SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   old sails have nasty stains (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/54098-old-sails-have-nasty-stains.html)

tnc110 05-04-2009 08:00 PM

old sails have nasty stains

I just bought a 1975 chrysler c22. It came with 5 sails, of which all are stained and look hideous. Its not rust stains but something else???...not sure what it is...brown in color. Ive tried commet, barkeepers, and a couple different rust removers with no luck. Any advice???

mgiguere 05-04-2009 08:11 PM

Yes, we have a cockpit cover just like that...(it's very old). We've decided it's easier to stain it brown....seriously. A lot easier than trying to take the stain out. Good luck.

Moe
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

scottyt 05-04-2009 08:17 PM

oil will laugh at almost anything and looks brown if not dirty, lighter fluid works well thou. might just try a soak in the tub with a little bleach and tide.

tnc110 05-04-2009 08:33 PM

i might just have to color them brown...i HATE the idea, but they are that bad...how would i do that?

SailSolomons 05-04-2009 08:42 PM

Mmmmmm now let me see!!, 34 year old boat with 34 year old brown sails!!
Looks like you need new sails!!!

tager 05-04-2009 08:47 PM

Wait. Can you dye sails? I want to tie dye my sails! Would that be bad for the cloth? Enlighten me oh wise ones who hath ruined thine sails once before.

sailortjk1 05-04-2009 08:48 PM

LOL,
Try the experts at sailcare.
They will examine them and let you know exactly where you stand, but like Solomons has said, chances are they are blown out.

AllThumbs 05-04-2009 08:53 PM

Fill the tub with water that you can just barely put you hands in without getting burnt. Add a scoop or two of tide. Insert sail. Swish the sail around every 15 minutes or so for an hour. Add more hot water. repeat swishing every 15 minutes for another hour. Drain tub. You will be surprised how dirty the water is. Add more hottish water. Swish sail around, drain. Add water one more time. swish and drain. Hang sail on the clothes line or over a fence and hose off (both sides). Let dry.

They should be much cleaner now. I have done this twice. Made a huge difference.

Eric

jgeissinger 05-04-2009 09:06 PM

Do what AllThumbs says, but also put something heavy (bucket of water, for example) on them. Dacron floats. Also, real TSP from a hardware store works very well and won't harm the dacron. Do not use bleach, whatever minimal stiffness these sails have will disappear. Also, Dacron won't absorb Rit type dye. It has to be added in the manufacturing process. But best suggestion of all, get a quote from FX Sails or some such. New sails will make your boat better in every way.

Sailormann 05-04-2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Any advice???
Buy new sails. Spend Money. Keep the economy moving.