Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-05-2009

Steve1970 is on a distinguished road
Rub Rail Advice Needed

Got and 81 Cal 2-25 with rubrail replacement needed and so far, everyone in sailnet is telling me that Steve and Seals/Spars is the only one that can find them for me. He called from Calf last night and confirmed that he is the only one that can get them for this boat because they are very specific. And at $613 and an installation that I'm unsure of, I'm quite down and wondering if anyone knows any other rub rail that might work - West Marine says no, Defender isn't clear and doesn't seem sure in their answer. Need to know for sure before I start cutting or have someone else install. Any advice out there? - Steve - Lake Champlain, Vermont
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2009
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
I PM'd you on this but---Steve's got the market on the rub rail and a close match is about the same cost and doesn't work well anyway so you might as well get the right stuff. Installation is a no brainer. Remove the end caps on either side of the cockpit and the screws on the bottom of the rail from stern to bow. Lightly sand down any rough spots on the rail, and then, start the new rails at the bow and work them aft carefully. (A little SailKote on the rails and on the groove in the rub-rail will make them slide along more easily.) Mark the location of the screw holes in the rails on the hull below the rails with chalk or water soluable marker (use a square to get them centered). While the screws are self-tapping, I found that pre-drilling a very small pilot hole in the rubber made the whole business a lot easier. The job is more easily done while you're hauled out but it can be done in the water.

Once the new rails are installed, wipe them down with 303 once a month and they'll last virtually forever.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 05-05-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
I PM'd you on this but---Steve's got the market on the rub rail and a close match is about the same cost and doesn't work well anyway so you might as well get the right stuff. Installation is a no brainer. Remove the end caps on either side of the cockpit and the screws on the bottom of the rail from stern to bow. Lightly sand down any rough spots on the rail, and then, start the new rails at the bow and work them aft carefully. (A little SailKote on the rails and on the groove in the rub-rail will make them slide along more easily.) Mark the location of the screw holes in the rails on the hull below the rails with chalk or water soluable marker (use a square to get them centered). While the screws are self-tapping, I found that pre-drilling a very small pilot hole in the rubber made the whole business a lot easier. The job is more easily done while you're hauled out but it can be done in the water.

Once the new rails are installed, wipe them down with 303 once a month and they'll last virtually forever.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
Sounds like some very good tips in that advice, I used Simonize tire protectant on mine just to make the black shine and give it the wet look, never thought of the 303 but I did think about how much I would not like to do a replacement job.
Old 05-05-2009
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Have you contacted Alan at RubRails.com - Your online source for rub rails, bilge supplies, boat cleaning supplies, and other boating accessories

He has many.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.