Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-07-2009
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLou View Post
rayncyn51. Your furler sounds very similar to a Reefer I or II that was manufactured by Cruising Design, Inc. which has been out of business for quite awhile. A traveler slides in one groove of the aluminum foil and the sail slides in the second groove. If you have pictures to post, I may be able to confirm. I happen to have an assembly guide that came with my "new" 1987 Watkins.
CDI certainly ain't out of business. They are alive and well, operating out of Homer, NY and still advertising widely.

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2009

HPLou is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HPLou
Leither, sorry for the misinformation, what I meant was the Reefer I & II was made when CDI was in Peabody, Massachusetts and is not manufactured as it has been replaced by the Flexible Furler which came out in the late 1980s.
Old 05-07-2009

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
HPLou, You nailed it... CDI's web site has a parts section for older designs. Mine does appear to be a Reefer I system. Would you be able to scan/fax your assembly guide? I would happily reimburse any cost you may incur doing so. - r

BTW, my son lives in Keansburg. Are you anywhere near there?
Old 05-07-2009
Retired and happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLou View Post
Leither, sorry for the misinformation, what I meant was the Reefer I & II was made when CDI was in Peabody, Massachusetts and is not manufactured as it has been replaced by the Flexible Furler which came out in the late 1980s.
Thanks for the clarification. You also seem to have identified the mystery furler correctly, so well done!

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Old 05-08-2009

HPLou is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HPLou
rayncyn51, no problem in faxing a copy of the assembly guide, you can e-mail your fax number to hplou@aol.com and I can get it to you over the weekend and thanks Leither.

Lou

BTW, not too far from Keansburg, live in Highland Park.
Old 06-17-2009

jbad is on a distinguished road
Jib Furler

I have a Beneteau 473, that was recently purchased used.

It has the Pro-Furl system on the jib, I assume.

I replaced all the lines, except the jib halyard. I also replaced the sails from a reputable sailmaker, Quantas. Under sail I noticed that the furling system stuck both when unfurling and furling. I was able to sort it out with brute strength, which created problem #1.

While under sail the halyard suddenly broke, roughly 6" above the connecting point to the top drum.

We dropped the sail and gave it a good inspection while back at port. The drums, both top and bottom seem to turn freely when there is no load on them. They are a sealed system, so no need to lubricate them.

I had the jib halyard replaced and everything seemed operating while at the dock. When we unfurled the sail when at sea, it jammed again. We ended up unwinding it by hand, rather than force it again. When we returned to port, we also had to hand wind the sail.

I looked at the halyard and sail and it appears OK, so I can't understand why it is jamming.

Has anyone experienced this before? It is a real pain and I do not want to risk breaking the halyard again.

Biggest issue is that I cannot reef the jib, other than by hand, which would be a huge challenge if we got caught in a blow.

All comments are welcome.

Regards

Jbad
Old 06-18-2009
Retired and happy

Putting together the jamming and the broken halyard, it sounds like the halyard is getting wound up at the top ie the top swivel is jamming, even though it seems to be turning OK when not under load. Have you had a look up at the top of the furler while the sail is being furled? You should be able to see the halyard winding around the foil, if this is the problem.

The other thing to look at is the angle that the halyard makes with the mast when the jib is up. If this is too shallow (eg caused by the jib not being fully up), then this encourages the winding round problem.

Stuart

Old 08-19-2009

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
Smile Follow Up

We finally got the boat out under sail and gave the ol' furler a try. Everything worked great, tho it's a bit tighter than I'd like when furling in. This is the first time that I've used a fulring system of any kind, so I've nothing to compare to. At face value, the unit seems to work as well as it's age would allow. (Like me!) Hopefully it will serve through next season!

Thanks again to all for your assistance! - Ray'n'Cyn
Old 08-20-2009
Retired and happy

Excellent - it does sound as though the old furler still has some life left in it!

As to how much of a pull is required to achieve a complete furl, that will depend on circumstances, as well as the furler itself. Taking the load off the gear by coming into the wind before furling seems like a good idea, but often (usually?) results in a very messy end result. On the other hand, furling while the genoa is full of wind and straining at its sheets can result in a lot of hard work........

Stuart

Old 08-20-2009
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
Heading into the wind is usually necessary to furl. It relieves the pressure on the control line.

BTW Continuous-line furlers are often not recommended for reefing the head sail. I have a ProFurl continuous-line furler. The control line goes around a drum that is shaped like a V to pinch the line so as to provide the necessary friction for the drum to turn as you pull on the line. Reefing puts the onus of holding the reef on the line/drum interface. The tension of holding the reef in could cause the line to give way (which would be dangerous in heavy air) or to pinch to the point that it won't release when you need to furl (or unfurl).

That said, we do it all the time.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.