SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   looking for a chain scrubbing brush (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/54135-looking-chain-scrubbing-brush.html)

Lin and Larry 05-05-2009 11:58 PM

looking for a chain scrubbing brush

Hi

Several years ago Larry and I bought a ready made chain scrubbing brush that worked a treat.It meant we could scrub muddy chain before it came on deck. It was a yellow plastic fitting that hooked on to a boathook. Then the main part of the fitting wrapped around the anchor chain and had astro turf inside that worked as a scrubber. It was great and we still use it. I think it was sold by Davey's company.

We have had a lot of people ask us where they can buy one like this. But i have come up with nothing on line. does anyone have leads for me? I want to put it on my website as a cruising tip. (See Sailing with Lin & Larry Pardey for example).

thanks for any help you can provide.

Lin Pardey

Craig Smith 05-06-2009 01:08 AM

We use a salt-water electric pump powered hose, with a trigger release on the nozzle, and manually spray the chain before it reaches the roller. It uses the same pump as the galley salt water tap. We find this adequate for mud and clay, and it tends to properly wash the chain and not leave too much sticking as a brush might. Just requires a bit of concentration to make sure you get in between each link... it's also convenient for washing the decks down afterward to get rid of any bits we missed.

midnightsailor 05-06-2009 01:15 AM

Hi, that item does sound like a useful thing to have aboard. How does it connect to the boat hook? Does it connect to the type of boathook system that uses a pole with a spring loaded button on the end? Ya know, the type that can take several different attachments or can this device attach to any type of boat hook? I mean, can it attach to a dedicated boat hook where the hook part is permanently connected to the pole? If so, how ?
This device you speak of got me to thinking of how one could be easily fabricated and I thought perhaps the old style toilet bowl brush might work for cleaning chain. Ya know, the type which has a heavy metal wire intertwined with bristles and is bent into a loop with the ends affixed to a handle. Perhaps this could either be bent to encircle the chain or alternatively, perhaps just making a cut in the wire so that the chain can be inserted inside the loop of the brush. Extending the handle should be fairly easy so that the brush can be extended far enough out down the chainto scrub off the mud from the chain before it comes aboard. Just a thought....what do you think? Could this work ?

Omatako 05-06-2009 01:50 AM

I saw one on the Auckland Boat Show last year that was essentially a piece of plastic tube about 100mm diameter 200mm long, a one-inch split down the length with a sort of astro turf on the inside. Can't remember how it attached to a handle/boathook.

There is this year's boat show starting this week in Auckland. I'll have a look around when I'm there and will post a resul if I find one.

Omatako 05-06-2009 01:51 AM

I saw one on the Auckland Boat Show last year that was essentially a piece of plastic tube about 100mm diameter 200mm long, a one-inch split down the length with a sort of astro turf on the inside. Can't remember how it attached to a handle/boathook.

There is this year's boat show starting this week in Auckland. I'll have a look around when I'm there and will post a result if I find one.

SORRY THINGS SEEMED TO TAKE FOREVER SO I CLICKED AGAIN.

KeelHaulin 05-06-2009 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Smith (Post 483175)
We use a salt-water electric pump powered hose, with a trigger release on the nozzle, and spray the chain before it reaches the roller.

If I recall correctly Lin & Larry Pardee's boat Taleisin operates without a 12V system or engine.

Sorry; did some searching on google also but can't find anything. Is it possible that it was made by Davis Instruments (not Davey's)?

sailingdog 05-06-2009 07:59 AM

You could easily make one up using three cheap scrub brushes and a section of 4" schedule 40 PVC pipe. Cut a slot in the pipe longitudinally, and attach the brushes to the interior. Add a piece that allows you to screw a boat hook into it...

Pop the pipe over the chain as you're hoisting the anchor...and it will pretty much scrub itself.

camaraderie 05-06-2009 08:53 AM

I think you are referring to the old Davis Gunkbuster chain scrubber which is no longer sold. You might give them a yell to see if they know who made it for them and if it is still being produced somewhere.

Wayne25 05-06-2009 08:58 AM

If its no longer made, perhaps you can work with these people to market one.
Industrial Specialty Brushes - Carolina Brush Custom Brush Solutions

Lucky Jack 05-12-2009 09:39 PM

Hello Lin & Larry,

I acquired and used a similar product from Davey's Arborist Supply when I was in the tower business. It was called a Bokat Rope Washer and we used it to clean lines which we used in tower work. It was a plastic tube which had a hose fitting allowing water to be injected into the tube while you pulled line through it. It also "astro turf" type plastic finger inside which scrubbed the line. Based on it's dimensions, you could easily use it for chain as long as the diameter of your chain was not too big.

I took a few minutes to Google it and I found the product on a PMI website...

PMI Rope : Equipment and gear for edge abrasion and cut protection, end terminations, marking, cutting and measuring and cleaning your rope.

Lucky Jack

Lucky