Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-06-2009

bigsarg1 is on a distinguished road
were was it?

I know I read on this forum that I could get new ports for my Irwin 1977, 37' CC. But I can not find it now. Any help would be helpful. The previous owner put in a few ports, but you can see that they are not a perfect fit and I am not sure what he did about the holes not matching up and ...Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2009

Hollen is on a distinguished road
Portholes

We have had our 1976 Irwin 37CC for 32 years and had to replace all 15 opening portholes over time. They are available from WM at about $150 but deeply discounted if you have a Port Supply account. The Beckson model numbers are P0512-WC-10 or the PO512-WC-20 for cabin sides with a greater than 15 deg slope on the side. Getting the old ones out will be the hardest part but I used duct tape to protect the fiberglass and very carefully used a saber saw to cut them out. Once out you will have to hog out the opening a little to fit the new ones but a Dremel tool does a great and easy job of it. Any other help I can give just ask, Steve
Old 05-06-2009

Great info. So, the ones from West marine, the holes all line up? I can see on the other ports that were replaced that the holes didn't. The main one is the port from the gally to the cockpit. It is all broken up from people steping on it. Do they make a flush mount type? Thanks for the help
Old 05-06-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You might be able to get some of the ports directly from Beckson, at a much lower price, since Beckson often sells overstock direct to the public.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-07-2009

Great info. Thanks

I also have another question. I have a blower in the engine compartment and at the helm at my feet is a handle of sorts. I can not get it to pull up. I sprayed some PB Blaster on the underside from the engine compartment. Is there a trick to getting this handle to pull up to turn on the fan? Thanks
Old 05-07-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What kind of engine do you have on your boat? Are you sure the handle pulls?? It may turn instead.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-07-2009

Irwin 37 Fixes

The thing at your feet may be the cover for the handle of a Whale manual bilge pump. That is where mine was. I removed it when I had to rebuild the Cockpit sole.
The holes in the port holes will never line up so fill them with 5200 and redrill new ones. When the new port holes leave a lip that can break off, I just trimed them with a belt sander (leave a 1/4" ledge)and finished the edge with very fine sand paper. They look great.
Old 05-07-2009
Telstar 28

Don't fill screw holes with 5200. Fill them with thickened epoxy...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-07-2009

You know there are a few hoses going to the thing in the engine compartment. I thought it was a fan of sorts, cause someone said it was (as you can tell, I am new to sailing a boat this big) Now that you said that, it does have a diaphram, not a motor. But, the handle at your feet is about 7 inches or so long and 2 inches or so wide. It will not turn due to it being in a cavity in the sole. Do I just push up from below or is there a lock of some kind? I have got the 50HP Perkins engine.
I guess if the holes do not line up, there are all kinds of tricks I have read to do. I like the belt sander for the lip. "Well, Honey I need another power tool".
Thinks for the info.
Old 05-11-2009

Whale Bilge pump

What you need to look for is the handle that goes on the stub sticking out towards you at your feet in the cockpit. The handle is about 5/8" in dia and about 1' long. If it is attached now then it can be removed by just pulling on it. If it is corroded on you may have to dissasemble it from below.