Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-07-2009

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
My experience is counter to the advice given above regarding Awlgrip.

I've used fleece covers on my Awlgrip II paint for 7 years. They have not caused any harm and IMO have protected the paint better than uncovered fenders which I have seen leave rubbery streaks after heavy use/weather.

The rubber streaks are easily removeable, but why bother?

I found them online be googling "fuzzy fenders" and adding "-zz top" so that I didn't get a bunch of unrelated, but very funny coincidental guitar pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
I bought 6 fender covers two years ago. Can't remember the brand but they were made of a thin blue knit synthetic. Pulled them onto the fenders, tied the boat alongside the slip, made everything tiddly and left.

The boat was slipped at a fixed dock in a Great Lakes marina, very sheltered. No tides and no turbulence.

Came back three days later. The covers on the three fenders between the boat and the slip were all bunched up at the top of the fender. Pulled them back down and looked at the covers on the other side. They were all in place covering the fenders. Not surprising as nothing was touching the boat on that side.

Two days later was back at the boat. One fender cover missing. Two others had ridden up the fenders again. They were starting to get quite dirty from the gunk that coated the side of the slip. It had deposited itself on the fender cover and the air had dried it out. Crusty is prbably the best term for it.

The covers on the other side were fine. Just where they had been put and no Lake sludge.

Took the dirty ones off the fenders, threw them into the wash at home and bought a new one to roekace the missing one.

They rode up and got dirty again. They got very, very crusty this time .

I took them off the fenders and threw them away. Won't buy them again.
Old 05-08-2009
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
I did as SD suggested and bought some sweatpants from the thrift store. Cut the legs off above the knee, sewed in a hem top and bottom, added shoelaces as draw strings and slipped them over the fenders. My fenders were scratching the paint. Now they are not. I will wash them once in a while. $6.00 invested.

Eric
Old 05-08-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Why you going to those things ? (spherical fenders) Isn't the problem of stowing the buggers more trouble than they are worth ?
Stowing these is a problem compared to the usual cylindrical ones, but the round ones are much easier on the boat. A cylindrical fender "rubs" against the dock and boat when a boat rolls in its slip, and if there's a side force from a crosswind or tide that rubbing can be quite hard. In the same situation the round fenders roll vertically back and forth, tending to "rub" less.

One of our local boat painters highly recommends going to spherical fenders (called "scotchmans" hereabouts - often used to buoy crab/prawn pots) to their clients with freshly painted boats.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-08-2009
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
As the former Awgrip trainer for the Maine State Marine Trades Center I am very tuned in to finish surfaces. My next finish demonstration idea is to put some sort of textured surface above the WL that has an artistic bent. Some kind of fresco with a marine theme that is non descript enough that it might be enhanced by minor damage. It is such a source of anxiety for boat owners to worry about surface imperfections in their finishes. There is no question that an Endeavor Blue Awlgrip finish is spectacular. To have a finish that requires you to worry about the abrasive qualities of the fenders you use to prevent abrasion is a bit much. I used to watch owners peer into the finish of their yacht and admire their reflections. I also used to teach Marine painting and Varnishing for WoodenBoat Magazine, and loved those owners who are so particular about their painted and varnished surfaces. I concluded that many boat owners are maintenance junkeys who have decided that boats will be their outlet. I am a fairly good painter. I actually like to varnish. I have a Marshall Sandpiper and its coaming and rails are Bristol. That is enough. My other sail boat has teak trim that is beautifully weathered to a silver that matches my hair. The hull is weathering white gel coat (the only color for boats) and the occasional impact that leaves a mark is no more than a marker from another adventure. I do use fenders to protect the boat and soften impact but worrying about covering them to avoid a sign of wear is not on my list of priorities.

Perhaps I am an Ausi, too?

Tundra Down

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.