SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Fender covers - any use? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/54164-fender-covers-any-use.html)

ardoin 05-06-2009 08:37 PM

Fender covers - any use?

Will a fender with a cover cause more or less wear on the hull?
Will a cover protect the fender?
Is it worth having covers on fenders?

T37SOLARE 05-06-2009 08:48 PM

They are a MUST on an Awlgriped hull, as they protect the paint from chafe. Nice to have on gelcoat, but not a must. As for protecting the fender, who cares?

sailingdog 05-06-2009 09:10 PM

Get a couple of pairs of cheap fleece sweat pants and cut the legs off...and use them for fender covers.

Valiente 05-06-2009 09:16 PM

That is an excellent idea. If I cared about fender covers, I'd use it!

Wouldn't work for the orange spherical ones I'm going to, however.

KindOfBlue 05-06-2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiente (Post 483438)

This guy in Maine sells polartec fleese covers that fit poly balls.

T37Chef 05-06-2009 09:30 PM

If you don't want to hear the hull squeaking all night they are a must and making the covers yourself is a great beginner project for sewing.

ardoin 05-07-2009 08:02 PM

SD, great idea. I'll have to buy the FAT Man sweats from Wall Mart to fit the finders. Should have a good color selection.
My big worry is damage to the gel coat over time.
Thanks

Faster 05-07-2009 08:11 PM

Hockey socks work too, if you want covers.

However, if there's a chance of airborne dirt particles (moored near a gravel lot and windy, for instance) the covers can trap and hold dust/dirt and then become hull abraders themselves.

Maine Sail 05-07-2009 08:18 PM

Ask guys who paint boats

Ask guys who paint boats and the tech support at Awlgrip. They will usually tell you they do more harm than good. I had a long conversation with the Dupont Imron reps at the Maine Boat Builders Show and they were complaining that fleece covers are a huge Peeve of theirs. People thin kt they are doing good but dry crusty salt, dirt weeds dock grime and such sticks to fleece and it does not stick to a clean fender nearly as well..

People think they are doing a good thing but fleece likes to attract dirt, dock grime, dried seaweed and any other thing floating by. This stuff then gets trapped in the fibers and abrades the hull worse than a smooth clean fender will.

Clean your fenders often and I would advise agaisn the use of them. I chose to ignore my painter and bought some. I used them for one day and saw exactly what he said I would trapped grime and dirt in the fibers. They are basically brand new, sitting in my barn, collecting dust..

tdw 05-07-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiente (Post 483438)

Why you going to those things ? Isn't the problem of stowing the buggers more trouble than they are worth ?

Generally speaking I wouldn't be bothered with the covers , seem like just another way to piss away your hard earned dosh on completely useless stuff.

Then again some people do polish their hulls, have dinky little throw cushions with anchor motifs, wear colour coded docksiders and call their wife the admiral.

Our attitude is that should a pirate spot us they will take one look and decide the other blokes boat has got to be a better prize than our scruffy old pos. Also we are Australians. Nuff said. :)

Then again....how about fender covers made from dead possums ? :eek: