Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-07-2009
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc1111 View Post
I also have a Streamstay dating from 1972. I talked to the local guru a while back and he said that as long as you keep the bearings in good shape (i.e. well lubed and no water in the fittings) and don't kink the furler taking it up and down, that it is good forever. The aluminium rod is much stronger than any replacement. A potential problem is that the rod hardens as it ages and loses some flexibility. But the only time that is an issue is taking it down or putting it back up.

But then again I have this bias "Old is better than new"
What does everyone else think about this?
like I said, the unit works flawless after servicing it last year.
I like to sail hard and the thought of failure is messing with my confidence in the boat.

Last edited by cnc33voodoo; 05-07-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2009
cap'n chronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drynoc View Post
Simple, inexpensive, easy to install yourself. That's it. End of discussion. Time to close this thread.
I saw these units getting whored out on ebay.
None of the local shops carry them.There must be a reason for that.
Old 05-07-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Personally

Personally I find value is stuff that lasts, performs above average and the company stands behind it. There are more Harken dealers in this country than CDI and Alado have combined. If I need parts for a Harken, haven't needed them yet, I have seven plus stocking dealers in a 20 mile radius of Portland, ME. CDI dealers? Alado?

Take a look at the Alado site and check the price for a 36 footer. An Alado for a 36er is $1495.00 and a Harken Unit 1 is $1354.00 or $150.00 LESS. While you have a 33 footer the cut off for the next Alado model down is 32 feet. A Harken Unit 1 would be perfect on your boat.

John Harries, a sailor I know, and high latitude world cruiser has over 100,000 NM on his 16+ year old Harken furler. Show me even ONE CDI that has 100,000 NM on it. He has changed the bearings in it once in 100,000+ nautical miles that's it..

IMO there is just no comparison in quality between CDI, Alado and Harken. Harken is a far better built furler that actually reefs well due to the independent top and bottom swivel bearings.

I have personally had a CDI fail and on that boat I upgraded to a Furlex. I have also owned Pro-Furl, Schaefer, Hood, Harken & a Hyde Stream Stay too. The Pro-Frul, Schaefer, Furlex & Harken units I would buy again not so much for the others.

To answer your question I feel the Harken is the BEST value for more reasons than just price..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 05-07-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-07-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc33voodoo View Post
What does everyone else think about this?
like I said, the unit works flawless after servicing it last year.
I like to sail hard and the thought of failure is messing with my confidence in the boat.
I was in the same exact shoes you were. My new to me boat that I bought 2 years ago had the same Hyde Furler and I always heard that too that as long as you take care of it, it will last forever....Well 3 weeks ago on the first sail of the season in 5-10knts of wind the part that connects to the mast sheared off and the only thing that prevented the mast from coming down was the halyard. So in my opinion, replace it. I was lucky that it happened to me on a calm day. As of yesterday the rigger just finished installing a new Furlex furling unit as well as all new standing rigging. I am not saying anything bad about the Hyde unit as it has lasted 25 years BUT it is definetely not bullet proof or forever lasting like I have heard before. Just like everything else it goes over time.

In terms of new furlers, I was told by a number of people furlex was near the top of not one of the best so I went with that. Have only used it once so far but it seems good.
Old 05-07-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235 View Post
In terms of new furlers, I was told by a number of people furlex was near the top of not one of the best so I went with that. Have only used it once so far but it seems good.
Furlex is a great furler and right up there with Pro-Furl, Schaefer & Harken. The nice thing about the Furlex is that it comes as a complete kit with a new head stay included. My only complaint with my Furlex 200S was that the black plastic turned a grayish white in about three years due to UV...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-07-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Furlex is a great furler and right up there with Pro-Furl, Schaefer & Harken. The nice thing about the Furlex is that it comes as a complete kit with a new head stay included. My only complaint with my Furlex 200S was that the black plastic turned a grayish white in about three years due to UV...
Oh man hopefully that doesn't happen but as of now I am just happy to have a working furling unit as well as bright and shiny new standing rigging.

Oh PS I just replaced my shaft packing with GORE GFO based off your site and posts and my shaft problems after packing with PTFE flax 3 weeks ago are gone! Thanks for that.
Old 05-07-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I like my Furlex 200S... works well...must have changed the plastic, cause mine still is pretty black...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-07-2009
cap'n chronic

After a day of calling around, internet research and speaking with friends, here are my thoughts....
From what 2 rigging shops told me the cdi units are not up to par with other units.I was told they wouldnt recommend these units on anything above 26 feet.
This is also comming from a local cdi service center/distributer.
Just as SD said they have had reported failures.preventing that is the whole reason for the upgrade.
I dont care about what practical sailor had to say, they would give good ratings to anything with an ad in their mag.
As for the alado I couldnt get much local feedback so thats probably a good sign to stay away.
Profurl,hood,furlex and shaeffer do not offer units in my price range.
I installed a harken on my last boat and never had any issues in the 6 years I had it and my father has had harken units on his boats for more than 25 years and said he has never had an issue/failure(but then again he gets 2 foot fever before they get old enough).
I like the mkIII or mkIV because of the double foil, which will come in handy if I decide to race in the next couple of years but the price is over $1000 more than the cruising unit which is otherwise perfect for my budget and the type of sailing we currently do.

Last edited by cnc33voodoo; 05-07-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2009

baboon is on a distinguished road
I just replaced a streamstay with a shaeffer. I could have repaired the streamstay, but was worried that I would spend $600 in parts to have a 20 plus year old system that I would not trust. Keep in mind that loosing the headstay is not the only possible problem. Mine jammed with the sail half out when the top swivel failed. The wind was low enough that I could untie the sheets and muscle the sail around the headstay a few times and then drop it. In a big blow I would have been stuck with a foresail flailing itself to death and no good options (I actually thought I might have to motor the whole boat around in circles to unwind the thing). Replacing your streamstay with a better quality unit is the safe way to go.
Old 05-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I like my Furlex 200S... works well...must have changed the plastic, cause mine still is pretty black...
They probably did. The Furlex I installed was done in 1997 or 1998..