Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-12-2009

jimq26 is on a distinguished road
I looked at Alado but didn't like the external halyards.

Other than that, it has a good reputation in our neck of the woods (26 to 34 ft).
I ended up with CDI because of the internal halyard. When beating, I didn't need the extra noise of a flapping halyard the full length of the forestay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2009
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimq26 View Post
Other than that, it has a good reputation in our neck of the woods (26 to 34 ft).
I ended up with CDI because of the internal halyard. When beating, I didn't need the extra noise of a flapping halyard the full length of the forestay.
I'm with jimq26. I actually bought the CDI furler for budget reasons. Our local agent in Annapolis is excellent and this was further incentive. In addition, CDIs have a good reputation with my friendly local marine services guy who recommended it. I have been very pleased with it so far.

Incidentally, I find it hard to believe that some posters get so hot under the collar about a ****in' furler. Get a life, guys!!

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Old 05-12-2009

dvpamenter is on a distinguished road
Yes, Yes. We don't need it and it takes away from the value of the exchanges.
Don
Old 05-12-2009

QueenElvis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235 View Post
as it has lasted 25 years BUT it is definetely not bullet proof or forever lasting .
Well, that certainly brings up an interesting point. Of course, if one thinks about it, a piece of metal being subjected to the kind of stresses that sailing inflicts, is doing great if it lasts for 25 years.

So should we all be replacing our roller furlings long before catastophic failure ocurrs? If so, when would that be?

And wouldn't this replacement policy apply to everything else? What's the expected lifespan of a mast? Mine is 35 years old.

Yikes!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.