Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-07-2009
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
Best value furling

This month I will be dropping my mast to have some deck work done and While its out I have been thinking of replacing my furling unit.
I have an old school hyde streamstay one furling unit.
I replaced all the bearings/retaining nuts on it last season and it works well.
My concern is that this is a 30 year old unit and it also serves as my forestay.
I am concerned on how strong this thing still is and dont even want to think about what the end results will be if it lets go under sail.
Me and my wife plan to do some extended cruising this summer and im trying to take all precautions to make sure the boat is safe.
I have been looking at different units from a bang for buck standpoint and would like some advise.
I was leaning towards this unit as it would suit my needs and the price isnt too bad:
Harken: Cruising Furler
but then I have seen these CDI furling units and the price is even better but I know nothing about them.
I dont want to buy junk just because its cheap but due to the other repairs on the boat my budget is limited.
Any thoughts/advise?
Old 05-07-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd avoid the CDI furlers, as Harken or Furlex make a far better unit IMHO. The CDI furlers use an integrated halyard, and that can make adjusting the headsail luff tension difficult. They also have other problems, like coming apart in high-load situations... that are less than desirable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2009

drynoc is on a distinguished road
Alado

Simple, inexpensive, easy to install yourself. That's it. End of discussion. Time to close this thread.
Old 05-07-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
I was also going to say the Alado. I have a CDI that I can't get parts for anymore and it's time to kill it off.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 05-07-2009
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
I never heard of the Alado, but if you want to go the "less expensive" route, Plastimo also makes some low cost furling systems, that are OK. Depending on how much it is going to be used, I'd still go for more expensive furlers as those discussed herein
Old 05-07-2009

jimq26 is on a distinguished road
I'm very happy with my CDI

So were 100% of the other people who bought CDI according to a survey by Practical Sailor. Parts are readily available, service is excellent, and product is very functional and well designed.
Read about it and decide - CDI - Flexible Furlers
Old 05-07-2009
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Based on our experience with 3 different furling systems, I'd say go with the Harken. It's about as reliable as you're going to find. the Company always stands behind their products in the unlikely event you do have problems, and the units seem to continue to work no matter how much they are abused or mistreated (tho' I reccomend neither).

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 05-07-2009

DrB will become famous soon enough
I have a Schaefer

and it has been pretty good to me and the PO. It has ceramic bearings, a simple design, and it has never jammed. Maintenance is a simple as an occasional fresh water rinse of the bearings.

My cousin had either a Furlex or Profurl, Furlex I think, on his previous boat and he said it always jammed and eventually broken. He ended up replacing it with a Harken.

DrB
Old 05-07-2009
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I can't afford even a cdi just now, but from what I see in all furlers other then the continuous types with large sheaves is the effort required because of the small spool the line goes around. larger spool = less effort (imho) I had a cdi on my hunter 23 it was great. many people I know have cdi also and love it... but they are not blue water sailing.

My boat is for sale.

Old 05-07-2009

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
I also have a Streamstay dating from 1972. I talked to the local guru a while back and he said that as long as you keep the bearings in good shape (i.e. well lubed and no water in the fittings) and don't kink the furler taking it up and down, that it is good forever. The aluminium rod is much stronger than any replacement. A potential problem is that the rod hardens as it ages and loses some flexibility. But the only time that is an issue is taking it down or putting it back up.

But then again I have this bias "Old is better than new"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.