Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-07-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Inexpensive DTV Solution

I have been debating about how to continue to get TV reception when cruising now that the DTV switch will happen next month. I really don't have the room for a larger TV on my boat and none of the major brands seem to be interested in marketing smaller screen TVs that will operate on 12VDC. I was reluctant to drop several hundred dollars on some no-name brand of LCD TV with questionable reliablity. My low-cost solution was to buy a DTV converter box that operates on 12VDC and use my Panasonic portable DVD player as a monitor.

The converter box is an Artec T3AP and only cost me $25 shipped on Ebay. Note that it isn't marketed as a 12VDC unit, but it uses a 12VDC power supply with a standard 5.5mm power plug. Easy to buy or make up a cable to plug it in on the boat. Tried the converter box/DVD player combination out at home the other night using an indoor amplified antenna and it worked great. We'll see what kind of reception I get when at anchor off the New England coast this summer.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
Books.
Old 05-07-2009
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
i added the same unit to my 15" flat screen on the boat back in december and it is great
Old 05-07-2009

Indawindz is on a distinguished road
Well, you could always turn your laptop into dtv. I just bought a Hauppauge win-tv stick($100.00 from best buy). Works ok in Lake Michigan. Otherwise take Tagers advice or reaquaint yourself with the Admiral.
Old 05-07-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
what i did was to take a 12 volt 15" computer monitor that i had laying around and feed the composite video from the dtv converter to it. then i took a set of powered ( 12 vdc ) computer speakers, with a plug converter in to the dtc converter. it gives me nice stereo sound, that my wife can plug her ipod into, with a whole lot less power usage than a car stereo would.

the benefits are that i can shut off what ever part i want, ie if i want i can hook the laptop to the screen for a larger view, or the ipod into the speakers, etc
Old 05-07-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We bought a 20 inch Flatscreen Yosiba combo HDTV/DVD with both and analog and digital tuner..from Circut City when they were heading out of business for $125. We never even intended on having a TV but we always were using my17" labtop to play movies. It runs off of an inverter so need need to bother with the 12V adaption. I found a $12 antennae at Best Buy (remember the old rabbit ear kind) which we hooked up when it was raining last weekend and we got 8 channels inas good HD definition as I get at home with cable. You do not need anything special to get HD signals, in fact you get a better pitcure when no using cable as you have a larger bandwith. We put this TV/DVD on a swing out wall arm so it usually lays flat on the bulkhead and covered out of theway when not in use.

It will not change out patterns of reading books, listening to music or peace and quiet when we are at the boat, however its an unexpected nice addition when working on projects.

Dave

So we have our movie player and an added bonus if we want it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-08-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Jim, smaller DTVs seem to be stuck above the $200 price point. I found a Happauge DTV/Analog combo tuner (a USB stick) on sale for $45 last year. took about a month to get the drivers updated from Happauge so they'd work in Vista, but it has worked well since. And you get options like recording to the hard drive--no DVD or VCR etc. needed any more.

Best bet? If you have a laptop, got some kind of tuner (card or stick, there are a number of them out there) for it and use the laptop. If you don't have the laptop...You can get a damn fine one for under $700, 16 or 17 inch screen and many bells and whistles. Some models might even have the DTV tuner built in, HP and others offer them.
Old 05-08-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I considered the laptop/USB tuner solution, but my laptop is old with USB 1.1 ports. Wasn't sure a USB tuner would work very well with it and the speakers are weak to say the least. Considered buying a netbook, but then you need an external drive to play DVDs. Couldn't beat this $25 solution.
Old 05-08-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Google this...similar to the one we bought...$245. Digital tuner get 12 dollar antenna and you have no need for converter box and have HD to boot as welll as a space saving flat screen and DVD. Get a 700 watt inverter for 50 bucks and your set.

Toshiba 19LV505 19-Inch 720p LCD HDTV with Built-in DVD Player (Black)
Other products by Toshiba
147 Reviews
5 star: (73)
4 star: (41)
3 star: (15)
2 star: (9)
1 star: (9)

› See all 147 customer reviews...
› See all 4 discussions...

4.1 out of 5 stars See all reviews (147 customer reviews) | More about this product

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Color Name:
White: Click for priceBlack: Click for price
List Price: $349.99
Price: To see our price, add this item to your cart. You can always remove it later. Why don't we show the price?
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Electronics Expo.
7 new 10 used from $260.99 8 refurbished from $245.00

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner