Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-08-2009

DropTop is on a distinguished road
Gear Reccomendations

I'm in the process of buying a 1990 27' Hunter and I'm going to need to buy a good amount of gear to outfit her the way I want. Below is a list of the things that I plan to purchase and install, I'd like reccomendations on what brands / models / features people prefer any why.

-Roller furling and new jib (has a traditional jib now, and I don't think that will work with a roller furling)
-Install head, holding tank and Y valve (has porta john now, Female passengers do not enjoy using them, and neither do I, espicially dumping them)
-Install sprayer for rinse shower in bathroom
-Install sprayer w/ some type of pump (electric or manual) for fresh water rinse of Dive gear somewhere in stern section
-Chart GPS with external antenna
-Backup GPS (handheld probably)
-AM/FM Radio + indoor and outdoor speakers
-deck lights on the mast
-dodger and awning
-solar charger for the batteries (there will be 3 deep cycle batteries)
-new batteries
-main battery selector switch
-additinal electricial wireing (see lines above and below this one)
-perminantly installed 110v power inverter for light duty electricial devices
-mounts for 4-6 SCUBA tanks once I determine where they will fit without being too badly in the way
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2009

I should probably add that I'm going to be going out primarily for 2-3 day trips in Long Island Sound, and only rairly leaving the sound
Old 05-08-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd say you're being a bit premature, as you don't own the boat yet...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-08-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I think you're asking a lot of a 27' boat...

A lot of this depends on your budget, how long you plan to keep the boat and your preferences, but my general ideas are below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTop View Post
I'm in the process of buying a 1990 27' Hunter and I'm going to need to buy a good amount of gear to outfit her the way I want. Below is a list of the things that I plan to purchase and install, I'd like reccomendations on what brands / models / features people prefer any why.

-Roller furling and new jib (has a traditional jib now, and I don't think that will work with a roller furling)
[Mid]The existing sail can be modified if you determine its cost effective to do so. Get a quote from your sailmaker and compare with the cost of an off the shelf sail from FX or Sail Warehouse. For the furler Schaeffer, Harken, Proful and Furlex all got good reviews in Practical Sailors survey of professional riggers. Personally, I'd go with Harken.

Quote:
-Install head, holding tank and Y valve (has porta john now, Female passengers do not enjoy using them, and neither do I, espicially dumping them)
[Mid]Can't help here, but I bet it will be a majorly expensive proposition and a huge hassle to install. I personally would not have bought a boat with no head if a head were a must have.

Quote:
[Mid]This one should be fairly straight forward and doable, however, I find I don't use the one on my 36' boat with similar use.

Quote:
-Install sprayer w/ some type of pump (electric or manual) for fresh water rinse of Dive gear somewhere in stern section
[Mid]Jabsco makes a deck washdown kit that might work for this purpose. The only issue will be tapping into your fresh water system.

Quote:
[Mid]Garmin.

Quote:
[Mid]Ebay-Garmin

Quote:

-deck lights on the mast
[Mid]Another seemingly low cost addition that will be expensive and/or a major hassle. You most likely need to pull the mast to run the wiring which makes installing the inexpensive fixture a major task.

Quote:
-dodger and awning
[Mid]Local canvas shop. Think around $2-2.5k.

Quote:
[Mid]These are bulky and expensive for a boat that size.

Quote:
-new batteries

[Mid]You're asking a lot for a 27' boat. How many amps do you think you're gonna get out of your battery bank? Better to start thinking about what you can do without while away from the dock. My laptop running SeaClear is the only AC device I run on an inverter and then as sparingly as possible.

Quote:
-mounts for 4-6 SCUBA tanks once I determine where they will fit without being too badly in the way
[Mid]You can probably have something fabricated our of stainless tubing like that used for the bimini. Discuss with your canvas shop to see if they can bend somthing up. Again, 6 scuba tanks on a 27' boat is going to be extremely bulky.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 05-08-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2009

75R20 is on a distinguished road
If you are planning to dive from this boat...I add a proper dive ladder to your list and make it a top priorty. Plan on where to stow it and how easy it will be to get to and put away. Make sure it goes into the water far enough that it is usefull. I'd also add rigging to your boom and tackle to allow for the attachment of gear for the return to the boat. Climbing down the ladder is one thing, but after a dive I just roll out of my BCD and attach to the waiting line and hoist it aboard after I'm topside and refreshed. A line that goes from the boom to a close winch and up comes the gear and then swing it over into the cockpit or deck.
I like to dive but I'm also lazy. We can pull 3/4 peoples gear this way and still have a cold beverage in the other hand.
Enjoy
Kary

Last edited by 75R20; 05-08-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2009

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
Seems to me like it would be cheaper, easier, and quicker to buy a boat that's got all the major parts that you want.
Old 05-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75R20
If you are planning to dive from this boat...I add a proper dive ladder to your list and make it a top priorty. Plan on where to stow it and how easy it will be to get to and put away. Make sure it goes into the water far enough that it is usefull.
That was already planned when deciding what boat to buy. She has a small swim platform, and a pretty deep ladder off the back of the platform. If the ladder turns out to not be enough, it's won't be too hard to get a longer one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75R20
I'd also add rigging to your boom and tackle to allow for the attachment of gear for the return to the boat.
I love this idea, definitly going to take this piece of advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor
Can't help here, but I bet it will be a majorly expensive proposition and a huge hassle to install. I personally would not have bought a boat with no head if a head were a must have.
I tried to find a boat that had one that fit the rest of my requirements, but when I couldn't I had the marina give me a price to install a new one before deciding, and then took that price (among others) off my offer. basically the seller is paying for it to be installed (roller furling and new jib too)

Quote:
I find I don't use the one on my 36' boat with similar use.
Personally I'd be fine just using a sprayer on the deck (or a jug of water if necessary), however my girlfriend isn't.

Quote:
You most likely need to pull the mast to run the wiring
Deck Step mast, and it's not currently stepped. going to get the antenna and wire done before she goes in the water.

Mid - Thanks for the other comments, very usefull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
I'd say you're being a bit premature, as you don't own the boat yet...
offer's accepted, survey from 24mos ago was good, after a extensive personal inspection, I don't expect this one to be any different. Why should I put off planning for purchases until the day before I need to make them? I'd rather start early and know what I need / want to buy and why before I'm talking to a salesmen at West Marine or the Marina trying to sell me something I don't need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayncyn51 View Post
Seems to me like it would be cheaper, easier, and quicker to buy a boat that's got all the major parts that you want.
yes, it could have been, but I didn't find any boats in this price range that I really liked, were in like new condition, and had all the gear that I wanted (with it being in good shape too). Plus some of these upgrades are going to be 1-3 years out depending on cost.

I enjoy projects like this and it'll give me lots of little things to do during the week that will keep me off the couch watching TV. When it's all done, I'll have a boat that's like new, and new gear to go with it, and will have enjoyed doing it, with only a little more money then if I'd have bought a older boat already outfitted.
Old 05-09-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Based on your previous thread, I had thought you were still deciding between boats. I hope you're getting your own survey done, by a surveyor of your own choosing... not doing so is penny-wise, pound foolish, and really stupid IMHO. A lot can change in 24 months. Well, since the offer has been accepted... hmm....

Quote:
I would recommend using the old jib for a while to see if you really need the roller furling...
Quote:
Get a good polyethylene holding tank. For heads, get either the Raritan PHII or the Lavac. Both are very well regarded and will last the lifetime of the boat. Both are available in a "household" sized bowl... which the better half will appreciate.

I would recommend that you plumb the head as follows, as it maximizes the flexibility of the system and minimizes the amount of plumbing and possible problems:

Head intake is t-eed into the head sink drain line below the waterline, provided the head sink drains below the water line. This gives you the option of flushing the sink with freshwater, by closing the seacock and filling the sink with water or plugging the sink, opening the seacock and using seawater to flush the head. This will simplify winterizing the head and minimize smells aboard by allowing you to flush the head with fresh water before leaving it for a while, as one major cause of boat stench is the saltwater organisms in the head line dying while the boat is sitting unused.

Head discharge goes directly into the holding tank. The holding tank pumpout line goes to a diverter valve. One side of the diverter valve goes to a diaphragm pump and then to a seacock and through-hull. The other side goes to the deck pumpout fitting. This allows you to either pumpout the holding tank via a pumpout station or dump the contents manually while out past the three-mile limit. While you could do without the diverter valve, the diverter valve serves to protect the diaphragm pump in case you've left the seacock open and go to use the deck pumpout fitting.
Quote:
Make sure you setup the head with waterproof/watertight storage for important things, like toilet paper....
Quote:
Pretty easy to do with a standard washdown pump and cockpit shower setup. Might not even need a separate pump if you plumb the cockpit shower off the boat's main pressure fresh water system.
Quote:
Garmin 32xx series is good, and relatively affordable and comes with the US coastal charts pre-loaded. GPSMap 76Cx if you can find one... as good backup...otherwise, might consider the Colorado 400.
Quote:
If properly installed in the cabin, no need for a marine version of stereo. Highly recommend you get one that has decent iPod controls and a direct iPod interface, since iPods allow you to carry a lot of music in a very small space. Alpine and Sony make good units. IIRC, the marine wired remotes can be used on their automotive units.

As for speakers, look at Cam's stereo thread for suggestions.
Quote:
-deck lights on the mast
Go with LED navigation lights while you're at it...
Quote:
-dodger and awning
Do you mean dodger and bimini? Awnings can rarely be used under sail...biminis are used under sail.
Quote:
-new batteries
Size the batteries and panels together... especially, if this is going to be the primary battery charging system. Read the primer on Solar Power on Boats I wrote. I highly recommend getting an MPPT-type solar charge controller.
Quote:
Order the crimping tool, adhesive lined heat shrink terminals and wiring from sailorsolutions.com. You can also check out genuinedealz.com about the wiring.
Quote:
Define light duty... if you're talking about less than 200 watts go with cigarette lighter-based inverter... it's simpler to install, and a lot cheaper to install or replace.
Quote:
Probably want to split these, so that half are to starboard and the other half to port...and put them amidships, to keep the weight out of the ends of the boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 05-09-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Based on your previous thread, I had thought you were still deciding between boats.
I was at the time, I had been trying to decide for a while, and I was down to crunch time to make a decision. The Catalina was deliverd to it's summer storage location today, and if I hadn't decided what I wanted to do in regards to her in advance I would have had to pay for the slip too, which would be fine if it wasn't 2 hours away... The comments and feedback I received was enough to convince me that my gut feeling was correct, and go with the Hunter. However just to make keep a calm head, I low-balled the offer $5k under his already $3k reduced price to see how the owner took it (he's despirate to unload), and he took it. 53% of his original asking price, Decision made!

Quote:
I hope you're getting your own survey done, by a surveyor of your own choosing...
absolutly. I only meant that I took peoples advice and did my own first before spending money on one, and I am pretty confident that this survey will say the same as the recent one. Doesn't mean I'm going to skip it by any means.

Quote:
I would recommend using the old jib for a while to see if you really need the roller furling...
You're not the first person to suggest that, and I found out today that there is already a downhaul for the Jib (since the mast isn't stepped / rigged I didn't see that for myself when inspecting her), so I might give it a shot for the season, but I still want one if for no other reason then saving deck clutter while out if the jib is not being used for short periods of time.

Quote:
Get a good polyethylene holding tank. For heads, get either the Raritan PHII or the Lavac.
I'll definitly look at those, thanks for the suggestion!

[QUOTE=sailingdog;484187]
I would recommend that you plumb the head as follows, as it maximizes the flexibility of the system and minimizes the amount of plumbing and possible problems...[QUOTE]

I'll check into that, flushing with fresh water is nice sometimes, however I have just filled a jug and dumped it in the bowl in the past. I'll check to see how hard that will be to setup...

Quote:
Go with LED navigation lights while you're at it...
Excellent Idea!

Quote:
Do you mean dodger and bimini?
nope, meant awning. don't think there would be any headroom with a bimini
installed that fits under the mast

**EDIT** meant to say installed under the boom, it was late, and I was tired. didn't proof read.

as far as the rest, I apprecieate your suggestions, I'll definitly make a note of them for when I'm planning everything out over the next few months!

Last edited by DropTop; 05-10-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-09-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
-Roller furling
Harken
Quote:
and new jib (has a traditional jib now, and I don't think that will work with a roller furling)
North Sails Tape Drive Laminate
Quote:
Lavacs Popular,Baby Blakes or Wilcox Crittenden Skipper
Quote:
Hansgrohe
Quote:
Hansgrohe
Quote:
Raymarine
Quote:
Garmin
Quote:
Alpine stereo/Bose speakers
Quote:
-deck lights on the mast
Aqua Signal
Quote:
-dodger and awning
Island Canvas
Quote:
Siemens
Quote:
-new batteries
Rolls/Surette
Quote:
Blue Sea
Quote:
Xantrex
Quote:
Pack them up with the liferaft...this is a Hunter after all