Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-08-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
Green Lines...?

While my boat was on the hard it was in a shady area under a lot of trees. And a lot of the lines that were exposed out on deck have turned from white to splochy green.

What can I soak these in inside a bucket on deck to kill whatever it is that's growing on them and make them look a little better?

I was thinking a "little" bleach for whitening + some fabric softener for making them supple again. But I'm not sure if the bleach will weaken/damage the lines? Or should I use something else?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Try oxiclean first.... works pretty well, but doesn't damage the lines like bleach will.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-08-2009

I33 is on a distinguished road
Wash em?

I plan to take an old line, tie it in a pillowcase and wash it in a commercial front loader machine, so it tumbles rather than agitates. Thanks for the tip regarding the bleach--I didn't know it would damage the lines. Is that true for both nylon and dacron lines?
Old 05-08-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Bleach is pretty hard on everthing BUT Titanium and PVC as someone who fixs filling machines

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-08-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A front-loading machine would definitely be better for the lines.

If you can find a net mesh bag, like they make the college laundry hampers out of.... that would work far better than a pillow case, since it wouldn't restrict the water flow quite so severely... Also, the netting/mesh bag allows any trapped sand to more easily wash out... which isn't the case with a pillow case.

Bleach damages a lot of stuff... in cold water, properly diluted, it would probably be okay for use on the lines, but I'm generally in favor of using what is the least harmful first, and escalating only if necessary.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-08-2009
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't use fabric softener, unless you've read somewhere that it would be OK. Some of these can clog synthetic fibers--might possibly make them slippery? Don't know this for sure, but why add it?

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 05-08-2009
Telstar 28

Fabric softener is pretty well accepted to help soften older lines...

Telstar 28
New England