Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-10-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I am so confused. But thanks for all your advice and taking the time to explain things.
Old 05-10-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
My take on it:
1) higher quality graphics, NMEA 2000, less user control, target user is not very savvy and not interested in customization - 4xxx series
2) not as high quality graphics, no NMEA 2000, more user control, target user is a decent navigator and interested in customization - 3xxx series

bells & whistles vs. functionality that's my take on it. plus - there is no way back, once Garmin phases out 3xxx series it's all the "new" stuff from then on. So I sure hope to keep mine for a long time. If it goes and cannot be repaired - it is off to Raymarine for me. I will most definitely not buy a new Garmin unit with the type of software they are using now.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
My take on it:
I will most definitely not buy a new Garmin unit with the type of software they are using now.

Could you give me some more detail on that. Thanks Al
Old 05-10-2009

Can, and how difficult would it be to hook up the high def radar from garman to the raymarine?
I have read lots of great things about the garman radar, but not much about the raymarine. Any thoughts? Thanks again
Old 05-10-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by badsanta View Post
Could you give me some more detail on that. Thanks Al
Pretty much what I already said - not enough configuration by user, pre-defined screens and data output, lots of configuration and information detail removed for the sake of what appears to be essentially "dumbing down" of the unit. It is clearly a matter of personal preference, but for my taste new Garmin software is essentially useless (and I do not exagerrate). I can't live with configuration where I only get to chose "more navigation info" and "less navigation info". YMMV
Old 05-13-2009
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
What is the problem with the Garmin network vs the NEMA 2000 network? Nothing could be simpler than Rj45 plug and play connections linked via a high speed switch. It is limited to those components available to the Garmin network but they are more than adequate for any of my needs. With AIS I am feeling there isn't a need for radar to avoid ships and the charts and my depth sounder keep me out of harms way with the bottom. Radar is still an option with the Garmin network. Data input using the Garmin chips is a small issue. I will use Garmin chips. It isnt like I have movies I want to input. Data is a small file and a couple of Garmin chips will provide all the storage I could want if reproducing navigation solutions is my goal.

I guess I could use some good advice that explains why there is really a need for the more "advanced" 4xxx. I will concede that higher resolution could make things look clearer but I have never been in a situation where the 3xxx resolution put my boat at risk. I do like the tweaking I can employ with the 3xxx.

Tundra Down

Last edited by downeast450; 05-13-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2009
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
The only 4000 versions I've used are the demos at WM. I don't care for the touch screen aspect of the 4000's, as it takes up screen real estate to view charts...but it is a little easier to work with. I invested in the whole Garmin 3210 system with radar a couple of years ago (before the 4000's came out), so if my 3210 dies I'll probably go with whatever Garmin is plotting with that my radar and accessories will still work with. I'm used to using the 3210 (I know my way around the interface), and the charts look good enough to me. Garmin is still updating software and charts to be used in the 3210 and GPS (end of May Garmin should have all charts updated for 2009 for $75.00), so I don't think they have plans on fazing out support for the 3210 yet.
Old 05-16-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't believe the 4xxx series has touch screen. IIRC, that's the 5xxx series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
The only 4000 versions I've used are the demos at WM. I don't care for the touch screen aspect of the 4000's, as it takes up screen real estate to view charts...but it is a little easier to work with. I invested in the whole Garmin 3210 system with radar a couple of years ago (before the 4000's came out), so if my 3210 dies I'll probably go with whatever Garmin is plotting with that my radar and accessories will still work with. I'm used to using the 3210 (I know my way around the interface), and the charts look good enough to me. Garmin is still updating software and charts to be used in the 3210 and GPS (end of May Garmin should have all charts updated for 2009 for $75.00), so I don't think they have plans on fazing out support for the 3210 yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-16-2009

sck5 is on a distinguished road
i have 4210. no touchscreen.
Old 05-16-2009
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Don't believe the 4xxx series has touch screen. IIRC, that's the 5xxx series.

You might be right about that...my mistake.