Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-09-2009

SeaDeucer is on a distinguished road
Oversized cutlass bearing

Now that we have replaced the coupler, stuffing box, and shaft from metric to imperial, we discovered the new cutlass beariing extends beyond the strut by almost 1/4" on each side-after the marine service parts place closed. Apart from installing the batteries, she is ready to launch Is this a (big) problem? Should we wait and have it cut to size? I was a bit mifffed as they had the original and have to shave some off the outside diameter to match the original, how could they miss the length? It is quite snug in the strut. All replies greatly appreciated, (this is the copper rubber one). She is as expensive as she is pretty awesome looking this Jeanneau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDeucer View Post
Now that we have replaced the coupler, stuffing box, and shaft from metric to imperial, we discovered the new cutlass beariing extends beyond the strut by almost 1/4" on each side-after the marine service parts place closed. Apart from installing the batteries, she is ready to launch Is this a (big) problem? Should we wait and have it cut to size? I was a bit mifffed as they had the original and have to shave some off the outside diameter to match the original, how could they miss the length? It is quite snug in the strut. All replies greatly appreciated, (this is the copper rubber one). She is as expensive as she is pretty awesome looking this Jeanneau.
I know several folks that have become frustrated trying to change their cutlass bearing and simply cut off whatever portion was sticking out with a hacksaw. If the propshaft isn't in place you could push the bearing flush on one end so you just make one cut to remove the extra 1/2", but since you didn't mention that I assume you'll have to make 2 cuts. Just be careful to only cut through the metal part. You can cut the rubber part with a razor or sharp knife so you don't damage the propshaft.

There is also the option of just leaving it as is if the 1/4" at each end doesn't affect anything else. The only issue I see would be making sure you don't get marine growth on it. That seems to be what your Boatyard was going to do. I can't really see where a bit of extra bearing surface is going to hurt anything.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 05-09-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-09-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
The bearings only come in a few standard lengths. As midlifesailor said, just cut it to length with a hacksaw.
Old 05-09-2009

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Uhhh...I've never changed a cutless bearing so I can't really comment. I have looked closely at other's struts and was wondering why a little excess in length of the bearing on either side of the strut would necessitate trimming? With the exception of an interference issue, would a little extra support be a bad thing? Just for my future reference...Inquiring minds wanna know. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2009
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
I changed my cutlass bearing 2 weeks ago and had the same issue.
They come in standard lengths.Buy a sharp new hacksaw blade and cut the end off as jimsCAL mentioned.Very easy.
Old 05-09-2009
scurvy dog

delan is on a distinguished road
It won't hurt anything, in fact it will last a little longer, but it looks funny.
I'd cut it off.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.