Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-10-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Dual track furler / foil?

Hi All...

I have been poking around, and am wondering if anyone makes a roto furler that has two tracks for sail changes? Or maybe that's not a good idea?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Harken MkIV (not the cruising version) and Profurl (both Classic and New Line).
Old 05-10-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
I think the better question is does anyone ever use both tracks for sail changes? I race quite a bit and we have never used both tracks simultaneously. Sometimes we will prep the new sail and have a few inches in the second slot but we never raise one while lowering the otehr because there are too many ways to mess it up..

Another question should be how many times do folks change a head sail while racing? I find it to be a very, very rare occurrence in the summer winds we race in..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 05-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I think the better question is does anyone ever use both tracks for sail changes? I race quite a bit and we have never used both tracks simultaneously. Sometimes we will prep the new sail and have a few inches in the second slot but we never raise one while lowering the otehr because there are too many ways to mess it up..

Another question should be how many times do folks change a head sail while racing? I find it to be a very, very rare occurrence in the summer winds we race in..
Thanks! And these are good questions, I was wondering how often this is needed. I have a dual track foil now, and was just thinking that I hate to lose a capability. But bringing the 155 up and down every sailing day is a pain...

Does the furler interfere with air flow over the head sail? Seems like it would be ... slow?
Old 05-10-2009
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
Some sail makers make head sails with twin luff tapes, for improved flow. They don't seem to make that much of a difference in the real world. YMMV.
Old 05-10-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Doing so also requires two jib halyards, and a lot of smaller boats don't have two jib halyards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-10-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
When I used to do PHRF racing we did lots of sail changes while racing... especially in light winds in the morning getting heavier later going from the #1 to the #2. In Fall racing sail changes happened even more frequently. The nice thing about the Harken Mk IV (which I have) is that you can remove the drum when racing leaving just the dual track.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 05-10-2009

Well of course a dual track foil is no use without dual jib haylards

I like the idea of being able to remove the drum. Thats a pricy device though. This is a next season plan anyhow
Old 05-10-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Even when we were cruising our twin-foil (non furler) boat we routinely raised the first before dropping the second. We'd raise the "new" sail on the inside groove, then tack, sheet in the new, and drop the "old" sail to the deck as it was now the "inside" sail - very controlled, contained and no significant loss of speed. The beauty of this method is that the sail coming down is easy to contain, it slides down the trimmed sail to the deck. Dropping a luff-rope jib by itself can easily get away from you in a breeze or a seaway, and once part of it goes over the side things can get worse in a hurry.

No reason not to do the same with a twin foil furler.. though I suspect MS is right than not many bother.. but as long as you have two jib halyards this is a good setup to get used to.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-10-2009

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
Changing head sails.

Maine Sail, we do change out headsails on the fly quite a lot during distance races. Short buoy races not so much. Last year we did 18 sail changes in a 4 hour shift during the BYC MAC on a 38 footer. That's with a 4 man watch. Needless to say I am still tired. Shifting to a larger headsail is not that hard. Swapping out the heavy # 1 for a #3 when the boat is heeling thirty degrees and thrashing through waves is another story. You need 2 jib halyards and a good bowman to keep it sorted out. Peeling the inside sail is usually easier since you don't have to bring it under the new sail. Long sausage sail bags help a lot since you can kind of flake the sail into the bag and be ready for the next change. Most serious boats also use 2 spin halyards for peels also.