AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
3US Gal Moeller Tank Leaks...

Searched on Google and looky here...

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor Quality, June 30, 2008
By R. Petres - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

The tank leaks around the the fuel gauge cap and the fuel line connector cap. They can't be tightened, I've tried. The plastic threads on the vent in the fill cap were stripped or just poorly made, so the vent can't be closed tightly enough to keep gas from leaking out, and I mean a lot of gas, when you lift the tank using the handle. I'll be talking to Amazon about a refund. Recommend you stay away from Moeller products, I will from now on.

The exact same thing happened to me!!

Mine has to go back to West Marine.

It's amazing how much this thing leaks.

Not a little, A LOT!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well, I had bought some Honda quick release fittings from Moeller... and two of the QR male fittings would just not fit properly... had the right part numbers and they fit one of the three female QR fittings, but not the other two... Sad part is that each only fit a different QR female fitting, so it wasn't a mistake in the packaging... just poor QC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-11-2009

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road
I don't know if it was just a name change or what, but Moeller stuff is absolute crap compared to the Tempo stuff it replaced at WM. I had the exact same problem with a gas tank, and Moeller paint (as in outboard motor touch up) is just horrible compared to Tempo. I solved the problem of the leaky tank by giving it away. My 15-20 year old Tempo ones work fine, as does my 25+ year old metal OMC one (my favorite). Yes I have a lot of tanks, for long trips (100+ mi.) with a 2 stroke Johnson.
Old 05-11-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I thought it was just me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Well, I had bought some Honda quick release fittings from Moeller... and two of the QR male fittings would just not fit properly... had the right part numbers and they fit one of the three female QR fittings, but not the other two... Sad part is that each only fit a different QR female fitting, so it wasn't a mistake in the packaging... just poor QC.
I bought some of their QR fittings in the Spring and had to file on them for 10 minutes to get them on. Not a good fit. I though perhaps it was the motor end, replaced that too, and no better.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 05-12-2009
AEOLUS II

This thing just doesn't leak a lot, it leaks profusely!!

I got it to replace the metal tank that came with the motor but it is going back on.

My search for a replacement continues...
Old 05-14-2009

dgr is on a distinguished road
Yup. They suck.

Call an outboard motor shop and see if you can buy a factory one. My Tohatsu came with one that doesn't leak a drop. It also has the handle on the top where it should be which has the added benefit of having a smaller footprint.
Old 05-14-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
too bad tempo went out of business...always amazes me when a company making a good product fails, and one with a lousy one survives.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-14-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I think tempo was bought up by moeller. on the other hand. I'm real happy with my new 19 gal fuel tank. even the sending unit works with my old gauge. I will say I'm not too keen on the oring fitting for the fuel pickup though.

my current "project"!
Old 07-05-2013
AEOLUS II

Re: 3US Gal Moeller Tank Leaks...

Update; I got another Moeller when the metal tank simply had to be replaced. They did something to correct the issue as this one is air as well as fuel tight.
Old 11-15-2013
AEOLUS II

Re: 3US Gal Moeller Tank Leaks...

That didn't last long.

Showed up, gas all over. Good thing I only (had) a gallon in there.

It appears WM doesn't even sell them any more.

I'll give this other model a try.