Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-12-2009

TSPMorgan383 is on a distinguished road
Worn Cutlass Bearing Advice

I bought myself my first powered sailboat. I "jumped up" from a Hobie 16 - 30 years ago to diesel auxiliary in February. The survey and others who saw the boat out of the water (I bought based on previous survey after a sale failed) indicate the cutlass bearing is worn but nobody wants to speculate how soon I need to make the repair. I want to put off the repair at least until the boat is hauled for bottom work - a year or two. Are there any symptoms while under power, like vibration or noise to indicate a repair is immediately needed? Can I dive down and take a look and see/feel the obvious condition? I have one of those donut couplings in the shaft so I am thinking my transmission won't be affected. Donít want to put this off until I need a prop shaft! Thanks for your advice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2009

CellNav is on a distinguished road
Cutlass

Mine's going and it vibrates badly when you shift into forward or reverse. You can also feel a slight rumbling under power. Dive the boat and if it moves more than 1/8" either direction it needs to be changed. As for how far to let it go, you'll know it when you hear it. I thought the transmission fell out the bottom the first time it shook.
On the up side it does discourange using the engine so you build your sailing skills docking...

Last edited by CellNav; 05-12-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-12-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
TSP - Is it safe to assume your boat you just bought is a Morgan 383? Congrats on the boat and if it is that, I have the little sister version, a Morgan 323 which I absolutely love and looks exactly like a 383 just a little smaller. Sorry I can't offer any advice on the cutlass bearing but wanted to welcome you aboard and say congrats on the boat.
Old 05-12-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I would put the maximum shaft movement at more like 1/16 inch. If its that or less and you aren't getting excessive vibration, you can wait.
Old 05-14-2009

TSPMorgan383 is on a distinguished road
Morgan 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235 View Post
TSP - Is it safe to assume your boat you just bought is a Morgan 383? Congrats on the boat and if it is that, I have the little sister version, a Morgan 323 which I absolutely love and looks exactly like a 383 just a little smaller. Sorry I can't offer any advice on the cutlass bearing but wanted to welcome you aboard and say congrats on the boat.
Yes, its a Morgan 383, S/V "Turn Some Pages." I plan for it to be my home in about a year. Happy sailing!
Old 05-14-2009

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Don't wait too long, I did and the bearing froze to the shaft and spun in the housing - that cost a bit more to fix.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 05-14-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Don't wait too long, I did and the bearing froze to the shaft and spun in the housing - that cost a bit more to fix.
I'll second that. I waited too long while experiencing the symptom of vibration. The motor vibrated to such an extent that it shook the alternator bad enough to break the mounting ear off the front cover on the motor. It almost ruined a vacation.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.