SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Fill in through-hull?

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  maccauley123 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, I pulled out an old through-hull that was for my galley sink. I purchased an updated replacement but now I am thinking that I might want to just fill it in instead. I don't really use the sink too much and I don't like the idea of anything washing out into the water, since I'm only on freshwater.

Any thoughts on if I should replace it or fill it in? Also, whats the best process for that? I've got some G-10 fiberglass board I could use to make a plug and then epoxy that in. I know I'd have to make a pretty shallow taper to be safe, but does anyone have other thoughts?

Thanks,
Shaun

#2 ·
You really should glass over the hole properly, grinding the glass to a 12:1 taper and then glassing it over from both sides.

#4 ·
I vote for replacing it.

So long as you are asking, I vote for replacing the through hull and keeping your sink functionality. I sink provides a lot of convenience and utility, even if you do not use it that much. If you want, you can only use the sink for things that produce relatively clean water afterwards. Besides - think about how much harder the boat will be to sell with a non-functional sink. Will prospective buyers choose your boat when they have other choices where everything in the galley works?

If you decide not to replace the through hull, then I'm with everyone else - you need to grind at 12:1 and glass from both sides. When one buys a used boat, one depends on previous owners to do the right thing with maintenance and modifications, and surveyors don't always catch everything when they don't. A glued-in plug will be much weaker than the rest of your hull and less resistant to shock forces than a proper repair would. Who knows what could happen with that? In 10 or 15 years, the boat owner could be dismayed to discover that his boat is shipping water at a prodigious rate when he bumps an underwater obstacle and the plug breaks loose because the ageing epoxy or glue failed.

Regards,

DaCAP

#5 ·
I saw it recommended somewhere instead of glassing over the through hull just putting a screw on cap on the inside of the through hull. This essentially seals the hold and is not permanent. If you decide you do want a functioning sink simply remove the cap and re-plumb it. The existing throughhull may come in handy for some other purpose in the future. I have 2 throughhulls I no longer need and will do this. If it ends up I definitely don't want them will glass over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.