SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   spreader speakers (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/54379-spreader-speakers.html)

mattdpeterson 05-15-2009 03:55 PM

spreader speakers

I'm looking to extend the audio system on my 32' islander from the cabin speakers out to something on deck.

I suppose I could throw them into the cockpit, but I was thinking I might get better coverage by putting them up on the spreaders.

The only downside I could see is that the speakers end up being 30-40' away from the cockpit and would likely need a bit stronger source to push them to get them with a reasonable volume.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Matt

DrB 05-15-2009 04:19 PM

I wouldn't do because....

1. More Weight aloft
  2. Harder to wire
  3. Means of Attachment - How to make secure so as to not fall off and potential hurt someone below
  4. Environment - I don't think that the terminals are well sealed for direct exposures
  5. Sail/lines may get hung up on them and either rip them down or damage sail/spreader
  6. More volume to hear in cockpit and more volume means louder sound to neighbors

DrB

sailingdog 05-15-2009 04:21 PM

Why would you want to put speakers on the spreaders? They're far more vulnerable to damage that high up...and you're far more likely to disturb your neighbors in a remote anchorage with them up there...

Put them in the cockpit.

BTW, what kind of boat do you have?

Coreyboy18 05-15-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 486366)
BTW, what kind of boat do you have?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattdpeterson (Post 486358)
my 32' islander

I'm willing to be it might bet a 32' Islander. ;)

sailingdog 05-15-2009 04:37 PM

LOL.....somehow, i missed that.. :) Need coffee... :)

SecondWindNC 05-15-2009 04:39 PM

I second the votes to mount them in the cockpit. They're for you to listen to, not everybody within a half-mile of your boat.

Besides, outdoor-mounted speakers aren't known for longevity in the marine environment. Do you really want to have to go up the mast to rewire or replace them every time a wire gets corroded or a speaker craps out?

merc2dogs 05-15-2009 04:47 PM

Agree, too far away to hear at reasonable levels without cranking them up enough for your anchormates to 'enjoy'

To get any kind of sound quality from that distance, you'd need fairly large speakers, the average 6x9 would sound like the old 'two transistor' am radios from way back.

Better would be two 6x9 or 5x7, or even four smaller speakers in the cockpit with a small sub to fill out the sound.

I really enjoy my music, but really hate being forced to listen to what some people consider music. So try to keep it down enough that it doesn't carry much past the boat (or truck)

I do have amps and very good speakers in the truck, but that is (in my case) for clarity, not volume. The boats have decent car audio systems, with speakers that I can move out to the cockpit when I want, or leave well secured in the cabin. May not be secure when in the cockpit, but if I'm worried about something getting bounced around, odds are I will have already secured everything.

Ken.

jbondy 05-15-2009 05:09 PM

Los of reasons stated above not to mount aloft. FWIW - I didn't like the idea of cutting holes in our boat to mount speakers, so I mounted them under the helm seat, facing forward. While they are aimed away from me when I'm sitting at the helm, to anyone sitting anywhere else in the cockpit they sound just fine.

tager 05-15-2009 05:44 PM

Do it! The whole boat would be a party!

pdqaltair 05-15-2009 06:20 PM

How to be most polite...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecondWindNC (Post 486371)
I second the votes to mount them in the cockpit. They're for you to listen to, not everybody within a half-mile of your boat.

Besides, outdoor-mounted speakers aren't known for longevity in the marine environment. Do you really want to have to go up the mast to rewire or replace them every time a wire gets corroded or a speaker craps out?

I believe I was in college, over 25 years ago, when a friend pointed out to me - speaking of a passing car with the windows down - that not everybody wants to listen to your tunes. He made good sense, when I saw it from his point of view, and he was an open minded rock&roll lover. It's simply arrogant and presumptuous. On the water, even more, people value quiet. At anchorage, if the music can be heard off of your boat, it may be far too loud already. On open water, the rules are less strict, but are you a sailor or a party guy with sails?

Below, fine. Rock it with the companionway closed. I like my Bob Marley at anchor. In the cockpit, keep it cool. On deck... no, I don't think that is appropriate. You'll just come off like one of those party head-boats coming back from night fishing. Uncool.