2, 3, 4 layers of packing in stuffing box? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 05-17-2009

If you need 1/4 and you have 3/16 its a big gap as far as fluids go

With all the things you have seen people do you thing soembody will not try and turn 3/16 into 1/4 OR wack 5/16 to flatten it to fit into a 1/4 space

Its not like packing is only use in boats

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 05-18-2010
A New Adventurer

Old thread, but it seemed more appropriate to revive this than start a new one.

How many threads would the minimum be for a female nut on the stuffing box? I used the Gore 1/4" from EMarine, but after measuring it, it seems to be slightly larger than 1/4". I could make it fit in the nut, but with 3 rings installed (what I had in there before) I could only spin the nut on maybe two to three threads. This seems like way to little.

It appeared that I had the Gore rings seated properly one at a time, but I could remove each one and try again. The only fear is that they shred pretty easily and I don't want to ruin them by removing them. I only have enough for one more new ring.

1989 Sabre 34II Targa
mjsailing.com
post #13 of 17 Old 05-18-2010

Hard to say but it sound like enough. Did you grease them well with teflon grease? That has really worked well for me. I would then tighten the nut good and snug and then back it off a bit. Final adjustment was with the engine running.

Gene

Currently in Long Beach, CA
post #14 of 17 Old 05-18-2010
Somewhat Flexible Member

having years of experience with power boats, i've found packing as many rounds as possible and still being able to get at least four or five threads before having to apply a lot of force tightening (compressing the packing) the stuffing box is a good rule of thumb. not enough threads can cause gland nut failure, while too many will not allow proper compression of the packing. i always put water pump grease on the packing beforehand for ease (albeit messy) of installation. good luck........

scott

Self Proclaimed Genius
post #15 of 17 Old 05-18-2010

When installing the packing make sure to rotate each layer so the cuts are not on top of each other. For example with 3 layers move the cut 120 degrees in each successive layer.

Sail Fast Live Slow
36' Solaris Sunstar catamaran
post #16 of 17 Old 05-18-2010
A New Adventurer

Like everything (it seems) in boating, there are many different opinions concerning proper way of doing things. Greasing these bad boys during install is one of those items. If I remember correctly, Saildog and Mainsail both said not to grease them before hand, but others say to grease them. I don't think they seated properly without greasing them the first time. I guess I'll give it a try and report back.

1989 Sabre 34II Targa
mjsailing.com
post #17 of 17 Old 05-18-2010

You are correct, lots of ways of doing it. And - all will work. Some of us have found a method that seems to work better and lasts longer. I have had 3 sailboats and 2 power boats. One of the power boats had twin screw powered by 350 V8's which puts an extreme amount of wear and stress on packing glands. I found if I used Teflon impregnated packing with Teflon grease, offsetting individual wraps, compressing and backing off and then adjusting under power then it was the last maintenance I would really need. The packing never needed to be replaced again, at least as far as I know. Only minor adjustments needed to be made the first few weeks or months of use then I could just check it occasionally.

But you can do it many ways and the worst that can happen is you will need to adjust it more often and change it every few years. No big deal either way. The only major concerns are that the shaft stays cool enough and that it doesn't sink your boat.

Gene

Currently in Long Beach, CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.