Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-16-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Renewing Sunbrella with Scotchguard?

Our Bimini and Dodger are pretty much non-waterproof these days, and it's going to be another month before we get back to the US and are able to replace them. We have a can of scotchguard on the boat, and I'm just curious if anyone thinks that treating the Sunbrella with it might actually reduce the amount of water penetration? I figured I'd ask before I tried...

By the way, lots of new blog entries... we're currently at Governor's Harbor on Eleuthera, Bahamas with 4 other kid boats - 11 kids in total - so life is grand. There's supposed to be a possible tropical depression hitting on Tuesday, so life might be a little stressful in a few days...

Thanks!

Chris
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2009

DrB will become famous soon enough
Sunbrella info

Sunbrella: Marine tops and covers care & cleaning

DrB
Old 05-16-2009

WheresTheBrakes is on a distinguished road
I'd spray it with Scotchguard, what can it hurt ??

P.S. you're the man !!! you're one of four blogs i follow right now, along with zacsunderland.com, Mike Perham, and Jessica Watson.. not bad company to be in (Jessica's unassisted attempt seems pretty crazy, but I wish her the best of luck !!!) Thanks for sharing your story !

My wife and I travelled around for 3 years (before blogging) in europe, the canary islands, and the south of the US before we got married, some in backpacks, some in a camper..we moved back to reality and settled in Charleston SC, and opened a photography company in 2004.. olivecharleston.com

I wish you all the best of luck !
Joey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------
1984 Starwind 22
"Julianne"
Old 05-16-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i would like to know about the scotch guard too. chris can be the test subject.
Old 05-16-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't use Scotchguard. Use the 303 Fabric Guard. It is what is recommended for protecting Sunbrella.

BTW, Jessica Watson isn't really doing a Circumnavigation, since she never crosses an antipodal point on her voyage.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 05-16-2009 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-16-2009
I'd rather be sailing

SD - no can do on the 303. I'm pretty confident that if I walk into the hardware store here in Governor's Harbour they won't have it - they didn't even have the 3 pronged plug I was looking for yesterday. It's Scotchguard or nothing, and with the rainy season upon us here in the Bahamas I'm trying to keep my livable space to a maximum i.e. keep my cockpit dry for as long as possible. So... back to my original question before this thread becomes a discussion of how people have used 303 and it did or didn't work, any thoughts on spraying Scotchguard?
Old 05-16-2009

saildork is on a distinguished road
I use ScotchGuard with good result. I have never seen 303 Fabric Guard so I can't comment. SD, have you seen a bad result with ScotchGuard or is 303 just better for Sunbrella fabric?
Old 05-16-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
So... back to my original question before this thread becomes a discussion of how people have used 303 and it did or didn't work, any thoughts on spraying Scotchguard?
If you are in an area with no availability of 303 High Tech Fabric Guard, and you're going to replace the canvas soon anyway, then the Scotch Guard will work in a pinch and should help with the water shedding. While certainly not the ideal product, nor the recommended product by Glen Raven Mills, it is not the worst product you could use.

If this was new canvas or just a few years old I would say to tough it out until you can get the correct product but you are replacing it soon anyway.

What ever you do DO NOT get ANY Scotch Guard on the dodger/bimini windows!!! I would advise doing this on a calm, no wind day, and even then I would drape plastic over the windows. Make sure you have about two days of rain free weather as well because the run off from the Scotch Guard can also etch the windows..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 05-16-2009
I'd rather be sailing

Joey - Thanks for the kudos! We love doing the blog (can you tell? 150 entries in 6 months?) and we love it even more when people actually read it!

MaineSail - Thanks for the info. Looks like we won't be able to waterproof it before the squalls this week (unfortunately) but we'll give it a shot once it clears up. Good info on the windows - I didn't know it would affect them.

Saildork - Glad to know we won't be the first!

Thanks!

Chris
Old 05-16-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I have not used on sunbrella but any of the silicon based spray on increwater proofing type stuff will work. The issue with some, is that they will darken some colors. So if this is an issue to you, as it states in ALL of their directions, try it on a hidden spot to make sure you will like the results.

My personal opinion of scotchguard in general, it sucks! higher priced than most, for half the water proofing resistance. Mot cans of cotchguard seem to promote stain resistance, but not water proofing per say. Hence why I will usually get other products.

If in the end, it is the only thing availible, what choice does one have. Just make sure you take off the sail cover from the boom, do it on the dock etc, the you will not have issues with the windows etc. There is more than one way to skin a cat on things like this!

Of course like all things great and small, along with opinions on matters like this, my .02!

Good luck
Marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.