SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Light sanding vs sanding vs heavy sanding

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  celenoglu 
#1 ·
The Pettit compatibility chart says that certain paint can go over certain other paint, but different levels of sanding are required. Other combinations are labeled "remove paint." Here is the chart:

http://www.pettitpaint.com/fileshare/tech_bulletins/compatibilitychart.pdf

I can guess that light sanding is probably that sufficient to remove any older loose paint and smooth any ridges. But how far does "heavy sanding" go? I would think not so far as to remove the old paint because then the chart would say "remove paint."

I am looking to overcoat Micron with either Vivid (requires heavy sanding) or Ultima SR-60 (requires light sanding). I suppose the easy choice is to take what requires light sanding, but I have been wondering.

#2 ·
Light sanding is for cleaning the surface. You get rid of the dirt and loose paint. Sanding is cleaning the surface of the old paint. The paint on the surface should be sanded. You should have the surface of the paint cleaned and some scratches on the surface for the new paint to hold on. Heavy sanding is to get rid of the old surface paint, at list most of all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.