Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-17-2009

RiddleStorage is on a distinguished road
Hey all. I need your help.

Hey all. I'm brand new to the sailing community. I have only been a handful of times.

I come to you guys with a request. I am looking to open a new dry storage facility in Southern California for ALL types of recreational vehicles, trailers and boats.

In a quest to acquire a list of clientele, i wanted to ask the people themselves what they would be looking for in a storage yard, so please, post your suggestions here. (What would it take for you to store at a dry lot as opposed to a harbor? Monthly cost? Free transportation? Cleaning service? Maintenance stations? Security?)

Thanks for your help,

Riddle Storage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i would think electric and water around the site. also for boats you would want a good hard pack surface, maybe even with some tie down points in some areas. and security cameras would be mandatory.
Old 05-17-2009

The basics are as follows:

-Wash station
-Dump station (for RV's)
-Wall/Fence/Barbed Wire
-Motion sensitive security cameras
-Land manager on-site 24 hours

There are several other elements being incorporated in this storage facility but this is just a short list of amenities that will absolutely be available.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
For boats, proximity to the water would probably be an important feature. No real sense in owning a boat if you can't use it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-17-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
you might want to pm the mods, i see your screen name has a company name and they have strict rules here for commercial stuff. in the mean time you might want to put a disclaimer in your sig stating who/what you are
Old 05-17-2009

The yard will be within 20 minutes of Ventura and Channel Islands Harbors.

I'll send the mods a PM now.
Old 05-18-2009

nightowle is on a distinguished road
price would be a considerable factor particularly if I wanted to use it for off season storage.
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.
Old 05-18-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Unless the facility is right on the water, there's no way I'd even consider it for in-season storage.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-18-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
People with boats are going to spend a lot of time in your facility working on their craft. Make sure there are WASHROOMS for general use or else maintain a calm demeanour when you notice someone relieving themselves in amongst the hulls.

After that, the first thing I look for in a yard is electric power. Lots of outlets ! I don't care if it's ten or twenty bucks a month more than another yard.

Then there needs to easy access to running water to clean the boat AND a convenient way to get rid of that waste water.

There needs to be somewhere to dump old fuel/oil/antifreeze.

Enough space between boats/trailers/whatever to stand on a ladder and work on the boat, and enough space to rig a dropcloth so that surrounding tenants are protected from sanding dust and paint spray.

Depending on the location of the yard - security needs to be either good or exceptional.

Don't try nickel and diming people. Charge enough in your basic rental to cover all the services you offer.

Good Luck
Old 05-18-2009

DrB will become famous soon enough
Okay, I'll play....

1. Fenced in property with access gate with a card
  2. Water Electricity available prevalent throughout sit. The more hook up locations the better. My last yard had only a few, which was a pain. The yard that I previously used at a outlet and dual spigot for every two boats
  3. Dumpster and Waste Fluid Collection site like Oil and AF. Not super critical for Waste Fluids, but a nice to have
  4. Clean Bathrooms 24/7 - both Men and Women - with TP and some good hand soap/hand cleaner. Bathrooms are worthless if they have no soap or TP.
  5. Security lights around the yard
  6. Hard surface to put boat stands. Make at least fine gravel. No hard pack mud or grass
  7. On-site repair shop
  8. Site manager during the day
  9. Close access to water. Doesn't need to be on water for off-season storage, but does need to be near by water
  10. Close to hardware stores and convenience stores. Tool, part, and food runs are common during a day of work.
  11. Clean site that doesn't have crap everywhere
  12. Enough room between boats, RVs etc to allow work all around boat. My last yard had me 1 inch away from next boat and I couldn't wash and wax hull in that location until the boat was moved. On the other side, I didn't have a lot of room either.
  13. If you are going to have sailboats a protected rack to store masts.
  14. Jack stand rental. Not everyone has a their own stands or trailer

As far as in-season dry storage, I wouldn't do it as It would be cost or time prohibitive to me as I have a 7 ton, 33 ft boat with a 50' mast. If I lived 2 h away from the water and I had a powerboat that I didn't tow back and forth, I would consider dry storage. For off-season storage, I would consider your site for my sailboat if you had relationships with folks that could haul/launch and demast my boat that was affordable.

DrB

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.