Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-17-2009

fendertweed is on a distinguished road
'76 Pearson 26 steaming light: what bulb?

Can anyone help with a guess on what replacement bulb I might need for the original eqpt. 1976 steaming light on my Pearson 26?

I discovered during my vessel safety check yesterday that its out & would like to try to have the likely suspect(s) replacement bulb(s) with me when I manage to get a bosun's chair & go up there.

I may just decide to replace the fixture w/ a new one given its age but that'll involve more work (including likely drilling & pop riveting the new light) and the risk of losing the wiring in the mast if I'm not real careful & lucky, so I may just KISS and replace to the bulb & see if that works.

Thanks,
Jon

Pearson 26 #1200
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A photo of the fixture might help...since some one may recognize it...otherwise, you'll probably have to yank the bulb and get a replacement...making two trips up the stick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
A photo of the fixture might help...since some one may recognize it...otherwise, you'll probably have to yank the bulb and get a replacement...making two trips up the stick.
exactly my fear ... I'll see if I can find a pic somewhere or take one, probably have to do the latter.

Jon

Pearson 26 #1200
Old 05-18-2009

14432 is on a distinguished road
Not to hijack the thread here but I have found that a supply of hemostats of various sizes are great for keeping wires and lines from being lost inside the mast. Just clamp them on before you disconnect anything. For larger wires, lines and wire rope I use a set of small needle nose vice grips padded with leather and wrapped with rigging tape.
Old 05-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14432 View Post
Not to hijack the thread here but I have found that a supply of hemostats of various sizes are great for keeping wires and lines from being lost inside the mast. Just clamp them on before you disconnect anything. For larger wires, lines and wire rope I use a set of small needle nose vice grips padded with leather and wrapped with rigging tape.

Thanks, those are great suggestions and I do have a supply of large & small hemos and a needle nose V.Grip, so I'll be sure to remember to bring them.

Jon

Pearson 26 #1200
Old 05-18-2009

OK .... I got some pix this morning -- anyone recognize this light & have a guess as to what bulb it might take?

Thanks for all your help, at worst I'll make 2 trips up there, one to ID it and one to replace it after buying one, but if I can save a trip that's great.

Jon

Pearson 26 #1200
Old 05-18-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
I think it is a Perko

Masthead light 1331

Mfr. Perko

$39.91
  • Clear Lens, Complete with 12 Volt Bulb
  • Chrome Plated Zinc Alloy with Black Plastic Base
  • Certified For Use on Sail or Power Driven Vessels Under 12 Meters (39.4 ft.) in Length
  • Vertical Surface Mount
  • 3 M
Old 05-18-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, it might be a good idea to replace the fixture if you sail on salt water... since zinc fixtures tend to not be a good idea on salt water boats.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
BTW, it might be a good idea to replace the fixture if you sail on salt water... since zinc fixtures tend to not be a good idea on salt water boats.

yeah, if I did I would... but the boat's been on the Potomac R. (fresh water) for most of its life. If it looks bad when I'm up there I'll get a new one. I'm sure that I save a huge % of the maint. & repair costs of a salt water boat by being where we are.

Pearson 26 #1200
Old 05-19-2009
Ticon 30

dbruce85 is on a distinguished road
My 1975 has a Perko.
Looks the same as the one you have in the pictures.
Looked on the info for the bulb I purchased at West Marine but I could not find it. I just took in the old bulb and thay matched it.
Good Luck