Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-18-2009

groundhog is on a distinguished road
epoxy and copper powder on your propellor

Anybody ever try this?
You could prime the bronze prop or maybe one coat of pure epoxy, then the copper loaded epoxy.

You can get copper powder on ebay pretty cheap.
groundhog
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't put copper anti-fouling on a BRONZE prop. It will dezincify the prop and make it worthless...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-18-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
It sounds from your plan to coat the prop first with epoxy that you are aware of the theory regarding mixed metals.

Making an emulsion of epoxy and copper powder, as you describe, will more than likely do noting except coat the prop with epoxy. The copper would be bound up in the epoxy making it effectively inert. You could put TBT in the epoxy with the same intent and it would similarly do no good.

One suggestion - Pettit Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier paint
Old 05-18-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, fine copper powder mixed into epoxy makes a fairly decent anti-fouling layer... provided you use enough copper powder per volume of epoxy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
It sounds from your plan to coat the prop first with epoxy that you are aware of the theory regarding mixed metals.

Making an emulsion of epoxy and copper powder, as you describe, will more than likely do noting except coat the prop with epoxy. The copper would be bound up in the epoxy making it effectively inert. You could put TBT in the epoxy with the same intent and it would similarly do no good.

One suggestion - Pettit Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier paint

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-18-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Actually, fine copper powder mixed into epoxy makes a fairly decent anti-fouling layer... provided you use enough copper powder per volume of epoxy.

I'd be interested in seeing any reference indicating this is true as standard epoxy is not soluble in or permeable to water making the hypothesis dubious at best. Same principle as typical barrier coat

Last edited by k1vsk; 05-18-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-18-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
At best, you'd be making your own "copperpoxy" type product, and there's a lot of debate over how well that works. AFAIK even the companies that make these products say they are not for use on props though--that should be a hint.
Old 05-18-2009

groundhog is on a distinguished road
Well, I work with a silver epoxy product that is so loaded with silver, that it is highly conductive.

It get's weaker as a glue though, as metal content is increased.

The thing would be to have enough CU in soulution to do the antifouling, but still be strong enough to stay on the prop when rotating.
Old 05-18-2009
Telstar 28

I'd recommend you look at CopperCoat, which is a UK-based antifouling paint that is just that.... very fine powdered copper in an epoxy base.
Quote:
I'd be interested in seeing any reference indicating this is true as standard epoxy is not soluble in or permeable to water making the hypothesis dubious at best. Same principle as typical barrier coat

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-18-2009
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd recommend you look at CopperCoat, which is a UK-based antifouling paint that is just that.... very fine powdered copper in an epoxy base.
Somehow, I don't think that copper-loaded epoxies (CopperCoat, Copperpoxy etc.) are as easy to duplicate as simply dumping some powdered copper into a tub of West System.

And FWIW, in my neck of the woods, copper-loaded epoxies (which are not paints, BTW) don't work for sh*t.
Old 05-18-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:

Epoxy with enough of any filler is and can become permeable. This is why wood flour or Microballoons are not generally recommended fillers for below waterline applications.

I just had my bottom stripped faired and barrier coated. When we had it down to bare gelcoat I noticed microballoons around the strut used as a filler/fairing compound.

When I put my meter on it it read nearly 6 times the moisture content of the surrounding polyester gelcoat (and no this was not Bondo it was epoxy & microballoons). We went ahead and removed all the microballoon filling and fairing done by the PO and re-did it with an epoxy mix consisting of milled fiber and cabosil.

The filler can contrubute a lot to moisture absorbtion despite it being mixed in with epoxy..

As others have said it is not a wise idea to coat a prop with copper as many of them are made from manganese bronze. Manganse bronze, depending upon grade, can have as much as 40% zinc content..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.